Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Author Topic: What is a major hole imo.  (Read 1176 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
What is a major hole imo.
« on: 13 May 2010, 11:49 »

This:

Also, please remember that using the 'report' button is preferable to responding to posts that may be a breach. In fact, responding to a posts that breaks the rules or guidelines is itself a breach of the guidelines.

Is impossible due to this:

Q: Isn't all this subjective?
A: Yes. The Mods do their best to be fair, but inevitably, this is a subjective standard. Another thing for you to Deal With.

Which has been continually hammered in by statements made by the mods, such as this:

It was borderline, but after some debate it was decided that it would be better to mod it. We will generally err on the side of caution. Posts that we mod do still exist in the catacombs.

and numerous other times.

Discuss.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: What is a major hole imo.
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 11:59 »

I don't see the conflict.

Step 1: You think my post violates the rules.
Step 2: You report my post.
Step 3: The mods look at it.
Step 4a: The mods think it is problematic and take appropriate action.
Step 4b: The mods think it is fine and leave it alone.
Step 5: We all move along.

Where's the break?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2010, 11:59 »

Let me clarify: If you think a post requires moderation, or isn't helpful or constructive, don't respond to it.

Mods also have discretion on when someone crosses the line with their response. Which is why warnings haven't been handed out, so far.

For example: If someone were to report a post, and then respond,  they would certainly get a warning unless the mods had determined that the reported post did in fact fall in the guidelines subsequent to the report. If a post was a blatant breach of the rules, and someone responded, then their post would get modded and they might get warned.

If individuals were to propagate a discussion that was off topic for the thread it was in and perhaps breached one or more guidelines, the posts would be modded, and the individuals in question may or may not be warned.

Posting on this forum requires a certain exercise in judgement from members, sometimes. Situations will vary. The policies of the forum give members a certain amount of credit as to their ability to exercise that judgement.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2010, 12:03 »

I don't see the conflict.

Step 1: You think my post violates the rules.
Step 2: You report my post.
Step 3: The mods look at it.
Step 4a: The mods think it is problematic and take appropriate action.
Step 4b: The mods think it is fine and leave it alone.
Step 5: We all move along.

Where's the break?

Step 1. You don't think my post violates the rules.
Step 2. You reply to my post.
Step 3. The mods look at it.
Step 4a.  They think it's fine and leave it alone.
Step 4b. They think it is a problem and they take action.
Step 5a. We all move along.
Step 5b. You get a warning because you replied to a post you thought was fine.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2010, 12:05 »

Which is why mods have discretion: So we can judge if someone is responding to a post they don't feel is a problem in good faith, when it is in fact a problem. If that is what it is, no warning would be issued.

Were a warning issued, the person involved can also explain their reasons in response to appeal any such warning.

Edit: Which is why I talk about exercising judgement. We hope members might look at a post or part of a post that is potentially a problem and go, "Maybe I shouldn't respond to this." or "Might be better not to quote this."

« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 12:10 by Silver Night »