Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Author Topic: In my land, full: A brief history of Ava Starfire  (Read 1600 times)

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

Sa Meni Zelitki (( In My Land ))

A narrow peninsula and accompanying chain of volcanic islands runs along the northeastern coast of Mikramurka, Matar, well above the planet's northern polar circle. This region is known as “Komak” and it is one of  a mere handful of  largely undeveloped wilderness regions to be found anywhere, on any of the homeworlds.

The people of this region are known as the Komak as well, and the clans which comprise the Komak Kinship Group, or “sub-tribe” in colloquial language. Here, the Star-Fire clan, or “Amankezei” as they call themselves, still maintain their nomadic existence, traveling north in the summer to fish for salmon in the Nyakii River, south in the winter to the forests along Uhr River.

On an unremarkable summer day, along the banks of the Nyakii River, a young member of the Star-Fire clan did not feel much like fishing. The young woman – girl, technically, and for a little while longer – sat on a flat rock, well warmed by the sun, working at the family trade. In her lap lay a bundle of cloth and leather, and next to her lay a small bag which contained her needles, awl, threads, and other sundries which she required to do her work.

No one seemed to mind that she was not helping with the fishing, even her parents. Tomorrow would mark the beginning of her Voluval, a ritual which would last for several days and which would, on its completion, confer adulthood on her, full membership within the Clan. All around, people speared salmon, smoked salmon, cleaned salmon, but she was not expected to help with the task; not today. She had far more important things to prepare for, after all. She simply sat on her rock, working on her dress, trying to calm the swarm of butterflies in her stomach.

Avlænkaa Tarkja was, frankly, absolutely terrified. She was not making much progress on her dress – she had been trying to finish it for weeks – but she was also just trying to keep her mind occupied. She was excited, of course, eager to receive her adult naming mark, her rank markings, and to officially take her place among her Clan, but the ritual was demanding and not without its risks. So lost was she in her thoughts that she never heard her “auntie” approaching.

“Ava?” the woman called as she waded through the waist-deep water, making no attempt to be quiet. Avlænkaa – everyone called her “Ava” – looked up quickly, startled at the voice.

“Oh, hello Kyllsa.”  Avlænkaa said, setting her sewing down and scooting over, making room for Kyllsa to share her rock.

Kyllsa waded out of the water and sat down on the rock with a wet plop. Kyllsa was perhaps fifteen years older than Ava and was the seida, or “shaman”, of their clan. She sat down next to Ava, impossibly wet from head to toe for someone who had been wading in water which barely reached to her waist in most places, and immediately wrapped Ava in a wet, squishy hug.

“Ack!” Ava squealed, squirming. “Kyllsa! Cold!!!”

Kyllsa laughed and fluffled Ava's hair. “Silly. It isn't cold. You're just a wimp.” Kyllsa was Ava's mother's cousin, and had never had any children of her own. She made up for this by helping Tarkja and Olno, Ava's parents, raise their children – in her own, special way.

“Why do you always do that...” Ava whined. “I'm miserable enough without...”

“Relax. Damn.” Kyllsa said bluntly, cutting Ava off mid-whine. “It isn't anything that each and every one of us hasn't done, right? You'll be fine.”

“I'm just worried about the needles...” Ava replied, quietly.

Kyllsa nodded, and spent a moment watching the water flowing by before replying; “I know. I was really worried about that part too. I was so scared, I wanted to just run.”

“Did it hurt?”

“Yeah.” Kyllsa replied, smiling. “Yeah. It hurt a little. Just for a second, though.”

Ava did not reply this time. The pair just sat there, on a rock next to a river, watching the water flow by. The day was beautiful and warm, with the sun shining brightly over the green, rolling hills to the south, and the faintest hint of a breeze helping their clothes to dry. Kyllsa laughed a bit when they saw a mink repeatedly try for the same small grayling before finally cornering it in the shallows and carting it off triumphantly.

“A lot of work for a little bite.” Ava said, quietly.

“Yep...” Kyllsa replied, pausing as she looked downriver at a simply unbelievable sight “...what the hell is that fool doing?”

Once a summer, a man from the Tribal Council Office in White Point would visit the clans to get a good, accurate count of their members; how many children, married couples, and whatnot, so that the Council department could have reliable figures regarding aboriginal clans like the Star-Fire. This year, the census-taker was a young Gallentean man, who happily walked along the bank, slipping and sliding on the wet stones, and who was quite eager to get to work, eager to meet the sorts of people that his anthropology professors had lectured about during his courses on primitive Matari societies.

“I have no idea.” Ava answered, wide-eyed.

Kyllsa and Ava stood up and watched, in amazement, as he strode right up to them, dressed in his breathable short-sleeved shirt, short pants, and hiking boots, looking for all the world like a wealthy suburban fisherman who had gotten hopelessly lost, save for the heavy backpack he carried and the datapad in his hand.

“Who is the leader of this clan, hmm?” the Gallentean asked, speaking their language perfectly.

The people of the Komak were used to seeing outsiders, especially Gallenteans. Ava herself frequently worked as a guide to Gallentean hunters and fishermen, and Kyllsa spoke their language. Neither, however, had ever seen one so gloriously out of place before, nor one who spoke Sebiestor.

The pair continued to just stare at him, speechless.

“I am the census taker.” he said, removing his eyeglasses to wipe a drop of sweat from one of the lenses. “The Tribal Council has sent me to do the count.”

“You work for the Tribal Council?” Kyllsa asked, somewhat surprised. “But... you're not Sebiestor? How..?”

“I am an anthropologist, ma'am.” he replied with a nod. “I study people, so they decided I would be perfect for this sort of thing. My name is Jon Breselle, and I have come to take the census, as well as perform some participant observation; with the permission of your elders, of course.”

Kyllsa and Ava just stood there, confused, looking at one another, then at the anthro...whatever. As he watched them, watched these two women in their simple, handmade leather tunics and baggy wool pants, standing barefoot next to a river in the middle of absolutely nowhere, he smiled. He was beginning, already, to realize just how little the galaxy at large knew about the Minmatar people, how little he knew. Elsewhere on this same planet, other members of their same Tribe were building starships, yet here, at the top of their world, he had a feeling he was seeing these people, the Sebiestor, very much as they were before the Day of Darkness, before anyone discovered space flight, before any part of “modern” life had been conceived, let alone actually invented.

He was seeing, with his own eyes, what the Amarr had worked very hard to destroy.

Oh, yeah. That girl, Ava? That's me. Some people have asked, how in the world I went from this, from being born into an aboriginal clan in the middle of the arctic wilderness, to a capsuleer.

What follows should explain that.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2013, 06:31 by Ava Stafire »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re: In my land, full: A brief history of Ava Starfire
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 17:29 »

E Volvalja (( The Voluval ))

The Voluval is the defining moment in a Minmatar's life, the moment which marks the passage from adolescence to adulthood, which shows the wearer their path through the mark the ritual reveals. Up here, the Komak people, my sub-tribe, perform the Voluval ritual about a month before the Midsummer, so that those new to adulthood can find their footing, so to speak, as they begin their Walk, as they begin to follow their own path through life, guided by the mark so recently revealed. With luck, they will be used to their new path come Midsummer, and can find a mate, start a family.

We have to get through the ritual itself first, of course.

I had spent several days in preparation, and was now sitting inside my parent's kenkii, waiting for the moment of Marking; today was the day. My mother, Tarkja – yeah, that's where we get our surnames from – sat next to me, braiding my hair and doing her best to calm my nerves.

“You worry too much,” she said; “We all did it, we all came through just fine. And you've done the hard parts already, really... the climb, the vision-quest, the Night Alone.”

“I know...” I replied. “I'm just... I don't understand, why can't Kyllsa just do it? Why do we have to have this outsider come?”  I looked out through the open door of their kenkii, to the open central area of their camp, and to the river beyond. Kyllsa stood next to an oddly marked, dark-skinned man, speaking and laughing, as though the two were old friends. They saw each other but once a year.

“Arju'kal is Vherokior, Avlænkaa,” Mom said, continuing to braid my hair. “They are the only ones who know how to correctly prepare the injections used in the ceremony. You can trust him, he did mine, Kyllsa's, your father's...”

“Alright, alright.” I replied, wrinkling my nose, something I suppose I do when I am not quite sure I believe what someone is saying. Whenever Mom uses my whole name like that, it means I am getting on her nerves. “I still wish it were not an outsider.”

The moment of Marking arrived, far quicker than I might have hoped, and I stood in that clearing by the river, waiting for my turn to stand in front of Arju'kal. Three of us were receiving the Voluval this year, and the whole clan watched, waited, as me and my age-mates went through it. Majki, my best friend since like forever, went first, and did admirably when the moment came for the injections, receiving her mark on her forearm, the Fourpeaks; a good mark. Majki hugged me as she walked back to sit with her family, and whispered “You'll be fine. It really didn't hurt that bad at all!”

“Ok... thanks. See you in a few.” I whispered. Majki hurried off.

Next went a young man who everyone knew and nobody liked, Fero. Unsurprisingly, he made a tremendous show of enduring the injections with no visible discomfort, nor help from Kyllsa, and unsurprising, he received the Bull, a not uncommon mark, on his chest. Fero had made it his mission in life to make Majki miserable since we were about seven years old, when Majki revealed that she was “woman-spirit”, or transgendered. She had lived as a girl, and now, as a woman, ever since. Today, though, he simply kept his mouth shut, and walked over to join his father and uncles for a beer.

Jon, the anthropologist, sat next to my parents, Tarkja and Olno, and with my younger sister Sukki, eagerly recording, writing, drawing, and photographing everything he could. Sukki had taken it upon herself to be his personal caretaker – he would probably drown if someone did not watch him closely – and he had become good friends with our parents.

All eyes were literally on me now. I hoped I didn't die.

I removed my tunic – the mystic had to see what he was doing, of course – and stood very still, while Kyllsa sang to the spirits and banged on a hand held drum. Kyllsa sang for a minute, perhaps a bit longer, and then abruptly stopped. Arju'kal placed his left hand flat against my chest, finding the exact site for the injection. Kyllsa stood behind me, holding me by the upper arms quite firmly. I think I closed my eyes, but at least I didn't scream when Arju'kal punched that damn needle into my chest, to deliver the first injection into my heart.

And yes, that feels about like you can probably imagine it feels. The pain was blinding, but it was over in but an instant, and Kyllsa stepped in front of me, to hold my arms again, while Arju'kal stepped behind me, and, a moment later, delivered the second injection into my lower spine. I would have cried out this time, were I able to draw a breath. That shot in my spine was by far the worst pain I have ever felt, but thankfully, it was over in a moment.

“I told you it wasn't so bad.” Kyllsa said quietly.

“Yeah.” I replied. “It only hurt like, you know... a lot.”

The mark appears quickly for most, so me, Kyllsa, and Arju'kal set about searching for it. I was getting pretty nervous, wondering why it had not appeared, why I couldn't find it, when I realized that Kyllsa and Arju'kal were both smiling and laughing at me. Mom actually bounced up and down with excitement, and Sukki ran forward with a small hand-held mirror.

I quickly grabbed at it, excited beyond words to see my mark. I had figured out by now that it must be on my face, which is exactly where it was, a smallish circular pattern of marks just between and above my eyebrows. I was now the third living member of my family to bear the Trickster's Moon, a shaman's mark, and I even had the fortune to receive it in the most coveted of locations, on my face. The fact that the mark came with some very strict social restrictions did not bother me a bit, and still doesn't, to this day.

For that moment, I was the proudest woman on Matar. I was sixteen years old.

I reclined in the chair at the parlor in White Point, relaxing while the artists – a husband and wife pair named Miki and Rano – worked on the intricate tattoo which wraps my right shoulder and upper right arm, my rank mark. My naming mark had already been finished, my new mark framing my Voluval perfectly. I was grinning from ear to ear. I was officially an adult.

“I can always adopt.” I said to Kyllsa, who was seated beside me, explaining some of the responsibilities and restrictions of the Trickster's Moon. “Lots of kids need good homes, right?”

“Absolutely.” Kyllsa replied, nodding. “And it is not like you were ever materialistic, at all. I cannot see you coveting large amounts of stuff.”

“Me either, really.”

The tattoo machines finally fell silent – I had been in the studio for nearly eight hours – and, after a good long look at myself in the mirror, and a round of bowing, hugging, and congratulations from the artists, Kyllsa and I left the shop, walking down the narrow streets of  White Point.

“You'll travel between the clans, just like I did,” Kyllsa explained as they walked, “and of course, I will teach you whatever I know.”

“I can't wait.” I replied. I meant that. Like I mentioned before, I was the third living member of our family to bear that mark; Kyllsa, Ajko, my great uncle, who lived with the North-of-Winter Clan, and now me. Our family's profession had been that of tailors and leatherworkers, surianen, a fairly low-status position, since, well... forever. The status of shaman allowed us to perform something of an end-around on our caste, the chance to earn considerable prestige and political influence.

It did not take long for me to begin my studies, and I spent a year visiting the Clans, learning from every other shaman in Komak, and then another year working closely with Kyllsa back at home. In those two years, I grew up a lot. I went from being that nervous, whiny teenage girl, into a confident and dedicated young woman, though I was still green, new, inexperienced. Naive. Shortly after my eighteenth birthday, I decided that it would be a good experience to spend some time giving spiritual guidance to people who often needed it, and could rarely find it.

I enlisted in the Republic Fleet, with the Marines, where I would serve as a chaplain.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2013, 17:29 »

E Republykavajnik (( The Republic Marines ))

I stood in line at the receiving center, staring at the filthy hair of the Vherokior woman ahead of me. I was pretty sure that I could see lice, and made sure to keep a safe distance. My sister and Jon waited with me, and together, we passed away the time. The line moved slowly, and it would be nearly an hour before I finally stood in front of the table, facing the portly and unpleasant sergeant with the oversize datapad in his hands.

He spoke, the datapad translated; “Name?”

“Avlænkaa Tarkja” I replied. A nurse swabbed my upper arm with an alcohol pad. I tried to not look at her, and remain focused on the sergeant.

“Ethnicity?” he asked, looking me up and down, a doubtful expression on his face.

“Sebjestur” I replied. My family has a fair amount of Amarrian ancestry, and some of us show it more than others. I am one of those that shows it. The nurse gave me an injection. It didn't really hurt.

He said something again, and again, the datapad translated; “What languages do you speak?”

“Sebjestaaspjak vo amarjaaspjak” I replied. Due to the incredible number of languages spoken in the Republic, the Fleet – the Marines, which I joined due to the fact they paid four quantum more per month, are simply part of the Fleet – usually placed people into training programs, and then assigned them to units, based on their native language. Sebiestor is one of the official languages of the Republic, and I had been informed by the recruiter that I would be, as explained above, placed with other Sebiestor. My recruiter lied. Some things never change.

The sergeant grunted something and the nurse sized me up, and then placed some things onto the table in front of me; a pair of  boots, a uniform, socks, and so on. I was instructed to go change and to leave everything I had with Sukki, save my ice-knife, my ci'nal, which I would be permitted to keep, due to its strong cultural significance, and some totemic jewelry that I was likewise permitted to keep. Even in the military, such traditions are sacred among my people.

I changed and went back to the line, to give my clothes and jewelry to Sukki. “I'll see you guys in a few months” I said, hugging Sukki and then Jon. By now, it had become pretty obvious to everyone that Sukki and Jon were in love.

“See you soon” Sukki replied, nodding.

“Good luck, Avlænkaa!” Jon bellowed, hugging me again. “Spirits guide you!”

I watched them walk off, and then waited in the new line, and I noticed there were a lot of Vherokior in the line with me. After another hour or so, I boarded a transport to head to a training camp to the south of the city, where I soon discovered, to my horror, that not a single damn person on the transport with me spoke Sebiestor.

Thus began the worst sixteen weeks of my life. At the start of basic, I weighed 56 kg.

Several hours later, I got off the transport. I was now at Republic Marine Training Camp “Jotunn” in southwestern Mikramurka, and I was waiting in yet another line, this time to be assigned to a company and given some more stuff, like a blanket and some toiletries.

It didn't take them long to figure out I was not in the right place.

They made due, and they made due by screaming at me. Evidently, that was somehow supposed to make what they were saying – or screaming, rather – easier to understand. It didn't. This approach began the following morning, when we stood in formation – a relatively terrible formation at that – as the drill instructor, a Vherokior sadist named Spear Lieutenant Va'lakh, introduced himself and went through the roll.

When he called my name, I tried to mimic what the others around me said. I must have done pretty badly, because he zeroed in on me in an instant, and was standing next to me, babbling away at me a mile a minute. I just blinked, utterly confused.

To his credit, he was an asshole to everyone, and I don't really guess he was any worse to me than to anyone else; he just handled it differently. When they'd screw up, he might give them extra chores, some sort of unpleasant job to do, or demand they perform some embarrassing task.

When I'd screw up, which I did constantly at first, he just told me – by screaming, of course –  to run, rather than try to explain anything more complicated to me. So, I'd run, until someone told me to stop. I ran a lot. I actually almost enjoyed our daily PT, and those times when we were actually learning to do important things, like fire a rifle, first aid – a shaman is also usually trained to be a doctor, of sorts, so thankfully I was solid here, because I still couldn't understand a word – or basic unarmed combat. However, that was pretty much overwhelmed by all of that other shit you learn in basic, stuff that you never knew, and could learn nowhere but there:

I learned that it is possible to vomit and run at the same time.

I learned if I held my rifle just right, I could get the empty shell casings to go down the shirt of the person next to me.

I learned how wonderful a hot shower can feel when you are truly exhausted.

I learned how to stand in formation. This must be really important, cause we practiced a LOT.

I learned that I was not allowed to chew gum in said formation unless I brought enough for everyone.

I learned that I was not allowed to chew gum in formation even if I did, in fact, bring enough for everyone.

It wouldn't have been so bad, I don't think, if  I had people to talk to, but I really didn't. I learned a bit of  Vherokior, enough to say “Hello” or “Can I sit here?” but beyond that, conversation was  impossible; Vhero and Sebiestor, as languages, could not be more different. I did hang around with a couple of them, Sav'ot and Ameeza, but I still couldn't talk with anyone; no jokes, no bitching to each other about how bad the food was, nothing.

After an eternity, we made it through, graduating from basic and going off to our permanent units – with a two-week leave to go home in between – to further schooling in whatever MOS we were being trained in. I rode a shuttle for the first time in my life, looking out the window in wide-eyed wonder at Matar, so far below me, at the endless blackness all around, studded with more stars than I ever knew existed. We landed on Kulheim – my first time ever on another planet – where I was assigned to the 2nd Battalion of the 204th Marine Division – Armored, an all Sebiestor division known as Perjunjasverta, “Perun's Sword”, an assignment I would proudly display with a new mark on my upper right arm, directly below my rank mark, and one which I still bear with pride. When I arrived at Republic Marine Facility – Kulheim, No. 12, I weighed in at 48 kg.

There was no “school” for the religious component of my job; we all pretty much knew how to do what it was that we did. I went through a “Level Two” combat training program, where I learned how to actually fight. A chaplain in the Republic was still a soldier, still expected to be willing and able to fight, in addition to their role as a shaman, unlike, say, the situation in the Imperial Navy, where a chaplain is usually simply a member of the clergy in uniform, a noncombatant. This particular course, which focused mostly on small unit tactics and maneuver – no more than a platoon in size – was actually a lot of fun. We rode around in APCs or trucks a lot, ate whatever we wanted just about every day, and, most important, everyone spoke Sebiestor; most spoke the southern dialect, but at least we could communicate. It was a fun six weeks. I really started to enjoy the military life.

That “Armored” name after our unit's designation, by the way? Yeah, don't be fooled by that. That was just the Republic's way of acknowledging that a battalion of tanks was attached to the division. The armor we wore was pretty lightweight, a vest that covered me pretty well, down to about the middle of my thigh, and a helmet. Both were rated to stop an average rifle round or absorb a medium power pulse laser burst. I never tested that, thankfully, during the four years that followed.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 17:30 »

E Nocifjelka (( Nightfall ))

A few months after my twenty-second birthday, I stood in line, waiting, once again. This time, however, I was smiling, laughing, talking to the folks in line with me, most of whom I had never seen before, would never see again, as we all waited for our final processing and official discharge from service. I was an NCO now, a Claw Sergeant, and I was proud of that. I was also proud of the Cluster of three Blades on my collar, which indicated that I had obtained my orbital, airborne, and drop certifications. I loved the excitement, my job, my friends, even my CO. I also had to consider my path, had to return home and get back to work, had to resume my studies, to prepare to take over for Kyllsa, one day. I had to go back to my old life. And I didn't want to.

I loved – and still love – my clan, my family, but, I didn't want to go back home, not to stay, not yet. I thought about re-upping, especially as I stood across the table from the Spike Lieutenant who was completing my final discharge forms, on another one of those oversized datapads.

“We'll pay a substantial bonus if you reenlist, Sergeant” he said, smiling. “We always need experienced NCOs.”

“Bonus, sir?” I inquired. This might be just the excuse I need...

“Four thousand quantum.” he replied, smiling.

Now, to put that in perspective, my family's income, from guiding hunters and fisherman, selling whatever clothing or souvenirs we can to tourists, and the beaver, marten, and otter hides that our trapline generates, bring us six or seven hundred quantum a year. My pay, at my current grade, brought me one hundred and six quantum a month. Four thousand was a huge chunk of money. I was pretty sure my parents would go for it...

“I need, um... I need to check in at home, sir, uh...” I said, stuttering some.

“You don't need to reenlist today, Sergeant.” he replied. He handed me a transaction card – this would be my last month's pay, and a little bonus – saluted, and said “Take your time. We're not going anywhere. Go home. Relax a while.”

“Yes sir.” I returned the salute and headed out of the discharge center – which was simply the receiving center I had come through four years earlier – and bought a ticket for a transport home.

Sukki and Jon were now married, and they had a two year old son, Kalto. Sukki was pregnant again. They were happy, healthy, perfect. Bastards.

Kyllsa was still doing wonderfully, and she understood my desire to re-up. Of everyone I spoke to about it, she was the only one who I can say was truly “for” it. Kyllsa said that she had no plans to die anytime soon, and as she was only thirty-seven or so years old, I was pretty sure she'd make it another four years. She also agreed that the money I could make in that length of time, in addition to what I had put away so far, would take pretty good care of the whole family for quite some time.

Mom had served in the Fleet, working aboard a repair station as a welder. I thought she would be the one to support the idea, as she always spoke fondly of it, always maintained that she was very proud of me. She was completely dead-set against it. Dad took her side.

“Avlænkaa, the money is no good if you're dead!” she said, looking up at the sky, which she always does when she's frustrated at me. “Trust me, war is coming. You have not seen combat.” Now, it turns out that she was actually right, but off by a few years. Of course, she said 'War is coming' every two or three hours, so I took it with a grain of salt.

Dad joined in; “Your path is here, Ava. Not there.”

“It isn't like I can have kids, so not like time is against me, or like Kyllsa's gonna die,” I argued. “What is the big deal? It's a lot of money, we can...”

“No. Your path is here, Avlænkaa.” Mom said, ending it. “You will stay here.”

So, that's exactly what I did; I stayed there, toed the line, as I was told. For a while, anyway.

A few months later I had a huge argument with my parents; I don't really even remember what started it, but things were always tense between me and Mom. Anyway, things escalated and grew more and more heated, until I grabbed my pack and stormed off to the south, following the Nyakii until I got to White Point a few days later. I wish I hadn't done that, or that they'd have let me re-up, or that Mom had just kicked my ass until I crawled back inside. Anything, because that was the moment.

The moment I stormed out of our kenkii, that was it. That's the one I wish I could redo.

I wasn't sure where I was going, I just needed to get away. I needed time. Space. I had honestly planned to just stay away for a few days, let things cool off, and go home. I met some people in White Point, people who I'd spend the next year or so bumming around with; Forok Hakuli, Hideki Kikura, Jero Alkjur, Karl Gephardt. We traveled some, did some exile, generally made tremendous nuisances of ourselves. Forok and I got married – yeah, smart of me – and a few days later, I committed my first robbery; I couldn't even believe it was happening. “Leave everything to me” he said.

Forok pulled the shotgun out from under his coat, this heavy black trench he always wore, and was screaming at the cashier to put the money in a bag and give it to him. I stood behind him, watching the door, a Boundless Creation 10mm in my hands, wondering what the fuck I was doing. I was now convinced I was public enemy No. 1, so I thought I may as well continue. Why stop now?

Over the course of the next year, I helped Forok and Hideki with four more robberies. Jero and Karl usually didn't take part in the actual job; Jero planned, Karl laundered. I knew what we were doing was wrong, but I was convinced I was in too deep to stop, that if I ever did, I'd be shot by the police or get thrown in jail forever. I was miserable. Forok knew that.

I was arrested in Evati. Forok convinced me that we'd be safe there. The fourth night we were there, on the Boundless station, I went to pick up our dinner from this little, hole-in-the-wallish Caldari takeout place. I returned to the hangar bay we had been staying in – Forok was a pilot, and even had his own ship – and was met by station police and two Republic Justice Department agents when I walked inside. Forok, Hideki, and the rest had bailed. The RJD agents were really nice; they let me eat my takeout in the car. I'm pretty sure Forok knew I wanted out, and that this was his way of giving me a way out. I'll never know, I guess. I haven't seen him since.

I stood in front of the court, facing a trio of members of the regional Sebiestor Tribal Council. I was tried by my own Tribe, a custom which exists to prevent old intertribal rivalries from unfairly influencing decisions in such instances. The woman I had spoken to from the Tribal Council – I didn't have any sort of attorney – told me it would be best to just cooperate with the investigation, and to just tell them the truth about what happened, about my part in it. That is exactly what I did.

It wasn't like you see on the holos. It was a pretty small room, and there was no bench, no jury box, no spirited defense, no recorder. The three justices sat at a simple metal table, speaking slowly to one another and looking through my files. A bailiff stood next to me. We were the only five people in the room. I was in no hurry to have them reach a decision. I was guilty as could be – I had just admitted to it. They were simply deciding my sentence, and the longer they took, the more lenient I was hoping they would be. After about two hours, they came to an agreement.

The eldest one, a woman, looked up at me and spoke; “Avlænkaa Tarkja, aka Ava Tarkja, are you prepared to hear our decision?”

“Yes, ma'am.” I replied, trying to remain calm.

“Twenty-one years. Medium security.” she said. “Twenty for five counts of aggravated robbery, the minimum, and one for your Clan. From now on, Avlænkaa, follow your mark.”

“Yes ma'am.”

I was twenty-three years old. I cried.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2013, 17:40 by Ava Stafire »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 17:30 »

Hva ferki vei je ger? (( What am I going to do? ))

I celebrated the next seven birthdays in a two by three meter cell, sometimes alone, sometimes with a cellmate. Most of the women who went there were serving far shorter sentences than I was, so I saw quite a few of them come and go. I had began to write to my family – I did learn to read and write, somewhat, while I was in prison – and, at the very least, was sure that I could go home and salvage my life, pick up where I left off, when I finally got out of there. That was a good feeling, knowing that someday I could just go home again, knowing my family wanted me back.

That someday was a long way away, though. That prison was a miserable, horrible place.

The worst part was that I was always hungry. Not that they starved us, mind you, because they didn't, but I could not remember the last time I had eaten until I wasn't hungry anymore. I was always hungry. I spent most of my day, every day, trying not to slip in the oil that covered the floor in this machine shop we all worked in, doing final tapping, chamfering, and polishing on whatever the Fleet needed at the time; that day, it was machine gun receivers. I usually worked for ten hours, though some days, they'd keep us for twelve. It was hot, filthy, and noisy, and we didn't have a choice; if we didn't work, they would “motivate” us, with everything from being put in segregation to being beaten. You didn't want that, of course, so you worked. For a nation that prides itself on fighting for freedom, that whole experience felt a hell of a lot like slavery.

I had never seen any part of the station, outside of the block I lived in and the shop, since the day I arrived there. I knew its name; the Lustrevik VIII Republic Justice Department Medium Security Correctional Facility. I knew I was aboard a Republic Fleet Assembly station in Lustrevik, so not far – as far as distance in space is concerned – from home. One afternoon, two of the guards retrieved me from my station in the shop, put restraints on me, and “took me for a walk”.

They walked me right out the outer door – like, outside the prison, down the street, past normal, station-dwelling folks – and I began to experience an array of emotions; curiosity, excitement, fear, embarrassment. People watched us walk by, which makes sense I suppose; I'd have stared too.

At one point, we were on an elevator, going down several decks, with a Sebiestor woman, who looked to be about my age, and her son, perhaps five or six years old. I stood there, resplendent in my patched and faded orange jumpsuit, handcuffed and shackled, and flanked by these two guards, one of whom held a death grip on my upper arm. I offered the boy a weak, nervous smile, and wished I could just melt into the floor.

The boy looked up at his mother and said, “She was bad, right Mom?”

The woman shot me a judgmental glance. “Very bad, sweetheart.”

The elevator ride eventually ended, and we got into a vehicle, which drove the several kilometers through the central city to an office building. More walking, more elevators, more embarrassing stares, and finally, we were standing in a hallway, waiting for a receptionist to tell us that we could go through the door behind her. I scratched my ear for a second when the guard on my left informed me, via his viselike grip, that he would like it if I kept my hands down. I began to pass the time by thinking up a fun name for the unpleasant, arm-squeezing guard.

“You can go in.” the receptionist, a woman who's ancestry I couldn't place, finally said, and one of the guards opened the door, the other – Mr. Personality, I decided his name was – took the chance to squeeze my arm one last time as he guided me through the doorway.

They didn't follow me.

Inside, a middle aged Krusual man sat behind a desk, reading through holoimages projected by a datapad; they seemed like some kind of files. A Krusual woman in a Fleet uniform, a Spear Lieutenant, stood next to him, and every so often, she would tap a button on the datapad to cycle to a new page of whatever she was showing him. After a fairly long time – at least fifteen or twenty minutes – the man waved me over with his hand, his gesture impatient, without ever taking his eyes off of the files he was reading. They were speaking Krusual, which I don't speak a word of. They knew that.

I walked over until the woman signaled for me to stop, and just stood there, for perhaps ten more minutes, while they looked through those holos, every once in a while looking up at me for a moment. Finally the woman tapped the datapad again, starting a translation program, and the man spoke, the datapad translating what he said, and then playing it back in a woman's voice, in Sebiestor, a moment later. “Avlænkaa Tarkja?”

“Yes sir.” I replied.

“What are you in for?”

“Aggravated robbery, sir.”

He spoke again, and the datapad translated; “Did you do it?”

I nodded. “Yes sir. I did.”

The man spoke one last time, the datapad translated; “Would you like to get out of there?”

I had, until then, just come to accept that I would be in for another fourteen years, and had grown very used to prison life. However, I didn't hesitate a bit – who would?

“Yes sir, um... very much sir!” I quickly replied. He said something to the woman.

Without delay, the woman picked up the datapad and put it in her pocket. I wanted to ask a million questions, not the least of which was “When can I go home?” but I held my tongue while she  removed my handcuffs. A man wheeled a cart in through a door in the back of the office, with a large covered tray on it. I could smell ham, and potatoes, and, oh Spirits, pineapple...

“You're out.” she said, speaking, to my amazement, in Sebiestor. “You are not free. You will just be completing your sentence in a more constructive way.”

“Yes ma'am.” I replied. The disappointment in my voice must have been pretty obvious.

“You can go right back where you came from, if you'd rather?”

I thought about it for a moment. Whatever this deal was, whatever this “constructive” thing I would be doing was, I wanted to be sure it was not somehow worse than the prison. Rather than give her a yes or no answer, I decided to test the waters; “What am I going to do, ma'am?” I asked.

“We want to train you to be a pilot, actually.”

“A pilot, ma'am? Me?!” I replied. “I can't... I don't know anything about flying?!”

The lieutenant lifted the lid off of the serving tray, revealing a feast of glazed ham, pineapple, potatoes, beans, warm, fresh bread, a big slice of pie, and a huge glass of milk. “If you agree, I will see to it that you will be eligible for – and will get – parole, in three years.” As if to emphasize her point, she spun the handcuffs around her finger.

“What if I cannot do it, ma'am? What if I cannot learn?” I asked, quietly.

She smiled at me. “The deal will stand, regardless of your performance. We merely want you to go through a new training program. A test case. We think you'll do wonderfully, but, should you fail, I will still uphold our end of the deal. No tricks.”

I figured that three years of the hell I didn't know was a better choice than fourteen more years of the hell I did know. “Okay, ma'am.” I replied.

They let me eat until I was full, and then showed me around the building, a building I would come to know very well over the next couple of years. I was thirty years old, and during my last visit to the prison infirmary, when an accident in the shop broke my hand, they had taken a bit of blood for “blood work.” Similar tests were being performed in every prison all across the Republic.

They were testing us for capsule compatibility. I tested positive.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 17:35 »

Siadanjic (( Today ))

“Hello Ava,” Haru says as he enters the room and sets his coffee on the table, a bit of it slopping over the rim of the cup to add to the collection of stains on the table's surface. “How are you?”

“Good morning.” I reply in my less than perfect Matari.

“How's your health, Ava?”

“Fine.” He enjoys these meetings, enjoys knowing that he has such absolute authority over a Seb. Republic, shmepublic. He's Krusual, and old inter-tribal rivalries are as strong as they've ever been, at least between my tribe and his. I watch as he takes a sip of his coffee, a few drips dribbling off the bottom of the cup onto his notebook. He doesn't try to wipe them up.

“You're still working with Gradient, yes?” he asks, clicking his pen to emphasize his curiosity.

I nod my reply, trying to follow what he's saying. He knows I barely speak standard Matari. He knows I know he speaks fluent Amarrian. I am pretty sure he talks extra fast when he's talking to me.

“Good, good...” he says as he scribbles something in the notebook. “They're quite good about keeping us up to date on you. Place of residence?” he continues.

“Gelfiven.” I reply. “Same place as last week.”

“Ah, the RF station?” he asks, scribbling again before I reply. I know they have people keeping an eye on me. He knows I know that.

“Yes, on the RF station.” I answer obediently. It doesn't matter how much I hate him, how much I'd like to see him scald himself with that coffee. He's my parole officer, and right now, he may as well be Father Pator himself. He knows I know that, too.

“Any changes?” he asks, taking another sip of his coffee as he stares at me, awaiting my response. His mop of greasy, brown hair shimmers almost as much as the surface of the coffee.

I hesitate for a second before nodding. “Yes, um... or there may be, uh, soon. I am, um... I am trying to, um, I mean, hoping that the RJD will allow me to, uh, adopt a child.”

He stares at me for a second, the cup of coffee hovering inches from his lips. “Really?”

I nod again.

He sets the cup down and writes, slowly, carefully. He sets his pen down and quietly asks, “A particular child?”

“Yes.” I reply. I'm scared. He has the authority to reject it, to decide I'm not fit to be a mom, a parent, especially after what I did. He doesn't.

“Let us know how the proceedings go, alright?” he says – in Amarrian, this time offering a smile which may or may not be genuine as he collects his notebook, pen, and coffee, before turning and quietly walking out of the small room.

He knows I know he knows I can't have kids, I guess.

I stop off at a toy store on my way down, to pick up a gift for Mitja. It's a smallish sort of place, but pretty busy. A few parents, sometimes mom, sometimes dad, sometimes both, are listlessly walking around the store as their children run amok, playing with this and that. I have no idea what sort of toy Mitja might like... a stuffed dog? A hologame? A toy tank and some plastic soldiers?

I cannot help but laugh when I see the display of  “Ava Starfire” toys. I pick one up and stare at it, the small articulated piece of plastic with hand painted tattoos that vaguely resemble my own, the face on the toy a rather frighteningly good likeness. I put it down.

I don't know how well “Ava Starfire” toys would sell if the people buying them knew I just came from a visit with my parole officer. I doubt very well.

The Wolf toy, however, catches my eye. I pick it up and examine it – yep, it is the one that is supposed to be flown by the Ava Starfire figure, with a little cockpit to sit me, err, her in – but it is a pretty good model of an actual Wolf. It seems rugged enough... I flip it over and am disturbed to read that it was made in Intaki, but I guess everything is these days.

Nowhere on the toy itself does it say my name. Good.

A small Brutor girl squeals in delight as I turn and begin to walk to the counter. “Dad! Look!” she yells as she points at me. “It's her!” Her little braids bounce as she runs over to get a better look at me, her broad smile showing that she has begun to lose her baby teeth. “You're her, right?” she asks while pointing at the rack of toys.

“Yeah. I am.” I reply, kneeling down so she can easily read my marks. “What's your name?”

“Taka.” She replies, now a bit bashful. Her father walks over and blinks a few times at me, evidently at some sort of loss for words. Taka asks, “So did you really kill that nasty PIE lady three times in one day?” Evidently that made the news.

“Well, I didn't kill her.” I reply, smiling, playing the part that Minmatar pop culture evidently has decided I now play. “I just blew up her ship three times. A Vengeance.”

The child, out of the blue, gives me a big hug. Her father shakes my hand, and offers me thanks for “Fighting for our people.” By now, a small crowd has gathered, and I spend twenty minutes or so talking to parents, posing for a few pictures with children and adults alike, and giggling as people send text messages to friends. I never thought I would really like the attention, but I have to admit, it feels kind of good.

I say my goodbyes, wanting to get to the orphanage as soon as I can. I have to go on patrol in a couple hours. The Vherokior girl – she looked like she was about 14 – at the checkout let me know, with a roll of her eyes, that she just can't see what the big deal about me is.

“I like your hair.” she says, somewhat standoffishly.

“Thanks. I like your outfit.” I reply.

She hands me the Wolf toy, and I quickly leave, wanting to put some distance between myself and the store – and the crowd of kids – before unwrapping it and ditching the box in a disposal chute. I walk to the lift, and I can't help but play with the Wolf toy as I walk. A small group of Sebiestor men, on their cigarette break outside a bank, stare at me as I walk by.

Hey. It IS a pretty good model of a Wolf, ok? Have I mentioned I love that ship?

I walk inside the orphanage and sit in the waiting area, next to a young Gallentean couple who are evidently here to adopt three children – I know that, because they tell me so, repeatedly. Good people, overall, but also kind of a microcosm of the Gallentean attitude toward us; that we're somehow backward, primitive people who cannot possibly take care of ourselves.

Hakla, a middle-aged Brutor woman and my caseworker, walks over and calls my name. “Ms. Tarkja?”

I stand up quickly, smiling. I really like Hakla; a good lady with a good heart, and a testament to what makes the Brutor, overall, an amazing people. “Hello!” I reply. “Um, I brought a toy for Mitja...is that alright?”

“Of course. Come on, follow me. He's in my office.” she says. She heads back to her office, through the maze of corridors and rooms that seems to typify every government office everywhere, and opens the door. Mitja is seated in a chair, reading an oversized book about construction vehicles.

“Hi Ava.” he says, in Sebiestor, smiling up at me, holding the book on his lap, his arms spread wide to grip the covers, with that wonderful innocent dignity that only a four-year-old can manage. I sit down on the floor next to him.

“Hello Mitja.” I reply, smiling so broadly I almost feel silly. “I brought you somethin'.” I hand him the Wolf toy, which he takes only after carefully closing the book and ensuring it will not slide off of his lap.

He studies it closely, lifting the cockpit to peek inside. “Is this the kind of ship you fly, Ava?” he asks, his bright blue eyes wide with delight.

“Yeah. I fly one sometimes. It's a Wolf.” I answer.

“I know what kind of ship it is, Ava.” he says, sighing a bit at me. Me and Hakla both laugh.

I sit and play with Mitja when I am not signing papers, or answering yet another round of questions, questions I swear I have answered four times so far, papers I have already filled out in triplicate. I don't blame Hakla for this – she is just doing her job – but I am terrified that the RJD will find some reason, any reason, to not let me adopt Mitja. I guess there are some pretty good reasons.

Hakla leaves us alone for a half hour or so, and we quietly play, talk, and get to know each other a bit more. Mitja has been through this before; twice, other people have come to adopt him, but one was declined due to a failed drug test, and the other was actually approved, but never came to pick him up and take him home.

No four year old should be as mature, should understand as much about the shitty nature of most people, as Mitja does. He asks me several times if  I am really there to adopt him. I reassure him again and again, that yes I am. He has been here for over a year, Hakla told me, since he was found living in a hovel in the slums on Eystur, alone. All attempts to locate his mother – he doesn't know his father – failed.

Mitja is Sebiestor, like me. He's a little bit skinny, even for a Seb, but he's so, so smart... smarter than I am, I'm sure of that. I can't help but smile when I look at him, his bright, big blue eyes, that messy tangle of long brown hair.

Please, Spirits, let them let me take him home. I'm thirty-six years old. I'm ready for this. I can do this.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2013, 17:37 »

For your reading enjoyment, folks. I hope you enjoy. Ava was my first ever real RP character, and her backstory had become pretty convoluted over the years; this is a coherent, simplified, and slightly retconned version of what made her into who she is, ending with the most recent bit, part 6, a piece I had posted here quite a while ago.

I hope you enjoy it. It's a bit long, 12 pages when it was single spaced. If you read the whole thing, thank you! I wasnt sure to put this here or in the Characters section, if I was wrong, I am sorry, and can someone move it please?

Thanks, Ava
« Last Edit: 16 May 2013, 17:46 by Ava Stafire »

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2013, 18:08 »

Nicely done! It does justice to Ava's complex background (which I did not know before).

So, the "was" doesn't mean you're done with Ava, right?

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2013, 19:09 »

Nicely done! It does justice to Ava's complex background (which I did not know before).

So, the "was" doesn't mean you're done with Ava, right?

Thank you! I am very happy you enjoyed it!

Not by a long shot. I love Ava, just had to straighten this stuff out some. Had I known what I know now when I made her, I'd have kept it pretty straightforward, like it now is; youll notice no mention of slavery? Yeah. I dont plan for her to ever mention/think about it again and for it to just *go away*. Changed quite a few things, but most are minor changes. I'm a good deal happier with this, and its a bit less "wat" now.

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2013, 22:03 »

Quite the enjoyable reading :)
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2013, 06:23 »

We all have a few things we would like to have done differently. It's not different for me, so I understand pretty well.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2013, 06:28 »

We all have a few things we would like to have done differently. It's not different for me, so I understand pretty well.

Im not saying "oh that never happened" as much as "I am never going to mention this again". Should try it, so far, works wonders =)

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2013, 10:47 »

Nice backstory, I'm gonna have to remember to watch for more stuff from you.