Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Usage of Kresh  (Read 8804 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Usage of Kresh
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2013, 16:55 »

Can someone explain the enzyme to me? The one that allows non-Caldari to drink Kresh.

I also assume it would allow regular Caldari to up their resistance, so would that mean one could 'cheat' a tea maker ceremony?

As far as I know, that one is just used by players who want to ignore the ethnic limitations and drink Kresh stuff. It's not ever been mentioned by either Herko or CCP. Its use is generally tolerated among Caldari players because to do otherwise would be saying 'urdoinitrong'.

Whether or not we as players respect others' freedom to use the enzyme in their RP has no bearing on how our characters will respond to it. Caldari characters are likely to regard those using the enzyme with a significant measure of disdain. Kresh is one of those ancient symbols of Caldari culture's insular and nearly xenophobic tendencies. Using a cheat code to get past it isn't going to be looked on well.

As an example, this is why the rules of the I-RED Lounge are what they are. If you're not Deteis or Civire, you don't get to drink Kresh there. Don't bother showing us your enzymes.

« Last Edit: 10 May 2013, 16:57 by Katrina Oniseki »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2013, 17:09 »

Guilty of using it to allow non-Caldari Kirjuun to have their traditional Kresh shot upon joining.

It wouldn't necessarily bolster the immunity of a regular, healthy, Caldari. The enzyme might have a maximum 'soak' threshold.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2013, 18:14 »

I know I've previously said that it does (with those specific words no less) either IC, OOC, or both. After reading what you had to say on it, I agree with you now in that it makes no sense. So, in order to help remove any improper references to that, can you point me to where I said it, assuming it's not simply in chat logs? I want to delete that. :x

The only time I heard you mention it was in The Summit a few days ago. I don't even have the logs (DUST).

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2013, 19:20 »

I know I've previously said that it does (with those specific words no less) either IC, OOC, or both. After reading what you had to say on it, I agree with you now in that it makes no sense. So, in order to help remove any improper references to that, can you point me to where I said it, assuming it's not simply in chat logs? I want to delete that. :x

The only time I heard you mention it was in The Summit a few days ago. I don't even have the logs (DUST).

Disregard it then.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2013, 05:24 »

Does someone has PF sources where Kresh or Tea is mentionned ?

Saana

• Clonejack
    • Aseyakone Fluid Router
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2013, 07:02 »

Locked articles in Evelopedia are CCP curated "Prime Fiction"

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tea_Maker_Ceremony
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Tea
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Kresh_trees
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Cold_Wind_%28Chronicle%29
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Caldari_spirituality

Also notable that properly made kresh tea is not deadly to Caldari. Kresh tea made to kill does kill even Caldari. Even non-Caldari might survive a cup, as long as it is made correctly and isn't too strong? This, of course, might be also looked down on by actual Caldari to not really "taste death".
« Last Edit: 11 May 2013, 07:05 by Saana »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2013, 08:23 »

Disregard it then.

Consider it done.  ;)

One other thing I'm kind of "hrrrrm" -ing about is the relationship between the Achura and Kresh. The stuff seems to be specific to the ethnic Caldari; perhaps it's one of the handful of things that continues to stand between the average Achur and full membership in State society? Considering that the bloodlines have spiritual differences in addition to the Achura literally being from another planet, it would seem to be a fairly natural fault line with few big, nasty negative consequences unless an Achur wants to step off the sidelines in a Caldari spiritual matter.

Probably, the Caldari just keep to their traditions, the Achura keep to their own, and the lethal effects of Kresh on an Achur provides further cause for even the most zealous Caldari not to try and convert the neighbors.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2013, 11:17 »

Disregard it then.

Consider it done.  ;)

One other thing I'm kind of "hrrrrm" -ing about is the relationship between the Achura and Kresh. The stuff seems to be specific to the ethnic Caldari; perhaps it's one of the handful of things that continues to stand between the average Achur and full membership in State society? Considering that the bloodlines have spiritual differences in addition to the Achura literally being from another planet, it would seem to be a fairly natural fault line with few big, nasty negative consequences unless an Achur wants to step off the sidelines in a Caldari spiritual matter.

Probably, the Caldari just keep to their traditions, the Achura keep to their own, and the lethal effects of Kresh on an Achur provides further cause for even the most zealous Caldari not to try and convert the neighbors.

It also introduces a rather morbid reality that if an Achur is given the tea, he will presumably never survive the odeal. Guaranteed death.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2013, 13:36 »

It also introduces a rather morbid reality that if an Achur is given the tea, he will presumably never survive the odeal. Guaranteed death.

... Which probably suggests a fairly bright-line understanding in Caldari culture about how the Tea Maker is to be applied.

The Caldari are a very traditionalist, isolationist culture. They are, however, practical to an arguable fault. I don't see them perceiving foreigners as unworthy of surviving just by dint of being foreign; kresh, then, is probably normally reserved for use on ethnic Caldari who follow the Way of the Winds (even the name "Tea Maker" invokes the Maker-- it's a religious ceremony). Non-Caldari who follow the Way are probably a gray area: the ceremony can technically be invoked, but all involved will know full well that it's murder by another name, an honorless move.

Which would not be to say that it's never done, of course.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2013, 15:41 »

... Which probably suggests a fairly bright-line understanding in Caldari culture about how the Tea Maker is to be applied.

The Caldari are a very traditionalist, isolationist culture. They are, however, practical to an arguable fault. I don't see them perceiving foreigners as unworthy of surviving just by dint of being foreign; kresh, then, is probably normally reserved for use on ethnic Caldari who follow the Way of the Winds (even the name "Tea Maker" invokes the Maker-- it's a religious ceremony). Non-Caldari who follow the Way are probably a gray area: the ceremony can technically be invoked, but all involved will know full well that it's murder by another name, an honorless move.

Which would not be to say that it's never done, of course.

Interesting. I'm not quite sure what to make of that just yet.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2013, 09:29 »

It does now appear that CCP is canonizing the kresh quasi-canon through hak'len tea.

It does now also appear to be an unambiguous paralytic-- death by respiratory failure. However, something that's been lurking in the background: it's not an ordeal poison; innocence or guilt is not what's being tested for.

Survival indicates divine favor. It's an execution to all but the specially blessed.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2013, 09:40 by Aria Jenneth »

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jun 2013, 20:47 »

As I understood it, Ethnic Caldari are resistant but not immune to the Kresh poison. While three cups would outright kill a Gallente or Brutor or Khanid, it might only cause severe illness (vomiting, shock, fever.. etc) in a Civire or Deteis. Higher doses would still be fatal.

Just had to mention Brutor hmm?  Getting Makkal he abutting me wasn't enough :'(
 LOL 

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jun 2013, 20:56 »

As I understood it, Ethnic Caldari are resistant but not immune to the Kresh poison. While three cups would outright kill a Gallente or Brutor or Khanid, it might only cause severe illness (vomiting, shock, fever.. etc) in a Civire or Deteis. Higher doses would still be fatal.

Just had to mention Brutor hmm?  Getting Makkal he abutting me wasn't enough :'(
 LOL

It was delivered with love, no doubt.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jun 2013, 21:21 »

I (and Aya) found it incredibly endearing.  That is a friend you can trust! 

Good thing too, because the whole Kresh enzyme thing had outlived itself for Aya. 

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jun 2013, 22:35 »

I (and Aya) found it incredibly endearing.  That is a friend you can trust! 

Good thing too, because the whole Kresh enzyme thing had outlived itself for Aya.

I too immediately fell in love with Makkal the character upon seeing that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4