Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Petition to PIE  (Read 4467 times)

Gervas Heidrich

Petition to PIE
« on: 22 Apr 2013, 20:37 »

About 4 or 5 days ago, I put in a petition for the House of Heidrich to join PIE's alliance. I have yet to hear anything about it. Can someone on the inside give me some idea what's going on with it?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Petition to PIE
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2013, 20:50 »

You'll want to ask on our forums, instead of on Backstage.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2013, 11:43 »

Indeed. And probably, before applying with a full corporation, you should speak with Admiral Newelle on the matter to work all the details out about policies, relations, etc.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2013, 12:43 »

Admiral Newelle is who I filed the petition with. We've already spoken.

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2013, 12:58 »

Oh, I see, then I imagine that, if she already knows about this, decission and appropriate action will follow quickly.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:13 »

Not so much as you think. I've recently been notified the reason this is taking so long is because I've apparently hurt some feelings over the discussion of my last name. If the alliance is willing to bar someone from entry simply because of this, then I'm doing nothing more than wasting my time and energy here better spent somewhere else. I had higher hopes that such judgmental mentalities weren't so prevalent.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:18 »

If that's the case Gervas, you probably are wasting your time. There are other options besides PIE out there. If you're looking specifically for Amarrian alliances, maybe one of the other militia alliances or CVA?

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:23 »

Will definitely be talking to the CVA. Also researching some other alternatives. We'll see how it rolls. I had even considered the idea of finding another faction alliance and somehow ICly defecting the House of Heidrich.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:27 »

Not so much as you think. I've recently been notified the reason this is taking so long is because I've apparently hurt some feelings over the discussion of my last name. If the alliance is willing to bar someone from entry simply because of this, then I'm doing nothing more than wasting my time and energy here better spent somewhere else. I had higher hopes that such judgmental mentalities weren't so prevalent.

On your side of the coin, you are annoyed that people would take offense to your chosen name.

On the other side of the coin, are people who can't help that they DO INDEED take offence to your name and are, according to yourself, debating internally how to act.

You need to keep in mind the viewpoints opposed to your own, and if you are so unhappy that people are indeed offended by your chosen name, I would suggest you biomass and re-make. It's not likely to be the last time, and unless you are going to just assume that PIE hold it against you just to be assholes, you may face the same issue with CVA.

Or anyone.

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2013, 13:36 »

I already went over this argument in a thread that is now sitting in the Catacombs debunking the wild theories behind the name. Please reference it. We're also speaking about IC vs OOC semantics here. ICly, they should have nothing to deliberate. Enough said.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2013, 14:21 »

Your character, and possibly you, is new to EVE. Really, I'm in the same boat. Though my character looks 9 months old, I only have about three months of interacting with others as I took a large break.

I think it's important to remember that other people are not *obliged* to like us or accept us. We're coming into an already established community and asking to be let in. The onus is on us to fit in.

Can you please everyone? Not at all. You'll drive yourself insane trying.

At the same time, if someone in PIE is uncomfortable with your handle or how you've handled criticism of it, simply labeling them idiots and suggesting that you're 'wasting your time' with them probably isn't the best way to tackle this. It's not a purely IC game.

Last night, I got sloppy and lost a ship while mining. My fault; I was in null and wandered off to the bathroom and got a drink while in the belt. When I got up, a hurricane had warp scrambled me and had already chewed through part of my shield.

This wasn't Makkal's doing, it was mine. Afterwards a number of corp mates explained what I did wrong. My first reaction was defensive, but they were totally right. I was acting like I was still in high-sec where stepping away from the computer for 5-7 minutes is safe 95% of the time.

The character Makkal had nothing to do with it.

Knowing I made a stupid rookie mistake sucks, but it's expected. What's also expected is that I take criticism with a thick dose of humility.

That person you blow off in an OOC conversation might also be the one who trains and takes care of you IC when you join their corp. How are they to know you won't carry that same attitude when they tell you that you're doing something wrong? Not your character, you.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013, 14:46 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Gervas Heidrich

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2013, 15:08 »

Please don't relate this to an AFK gank. That has nothing to do with moral principle.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2013, 16:05 »

As you wish.

If you're not a good fit with PIE, I'll suggest you try CVA. Good luck in your hunting.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Sepherim

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2013, 19:17 »

Some have pointed to you the other side of the coin. The discussion on your character's name incited enough "fire" to be catacombed. PIE has been around for ten years (we celebrate it now), it's logical that we take with some extra caution the decission to add a new corp by an unknown player with a dangerous second name, which could hamper our own RP and action because people will often react in extreme ways to such a surname, and see it attached to our own.

That said, I don't know personally how the discussions and debates on your acceptance are going or on what paths, as I'm not a high-ranking officer in the corp. Just trying to point to other lines of thoughts on the same matter. But do note that, if you take so closely to your chest all debates and problems your surname may bring, you're going to probably have a hard time in EVE.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2013, 20:36 »

Some have pointed to you the other side of the coin. The discussion on your character's name incited enough "fire" to be catacombed. PIE has been around for ten years (we celebrate it now), it's logical that we take with some extra caution the decission to add a new corp by an unknown player with a dangerous second name, which could hamper our own RP and action because people will often react in extreme ways to such a surname, and see it attached to our own.

That said, I don't know personally how the discussions and debates on your acceptance are going or on what paths, as I'm not a high-ranking officer in the corp. Just trying to point to other lines of thoughts on the same matter. But do note that, if you take so closely to your chest all debates and problems your surname may bring, you're going to probably have a hard time in EVE.

I would like to note, here, that the moderation took place because people decided to try and link a randomly generated last name of a fictional character with a Nazi (which, I suspect, would preclude people from using most German last names, and certainly many common ones, if you cared to travel very far along that road). Moderation was not due to the name, it was due to people engaging in trolling.

Also,

[mod]Moving this thread to the corp discussion forum. Kindly don't let it turn into the same discussion that was catacombed before. [/mod]
Pages: [1] 2 3