Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Rule 7: When is a person "involved"?  (Read 1980 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Rule 7: When is a person "involved"?
« on: 02 Apr 2013, 10:37 »

Below, I quote the relevant section of rule 7, with the important part underlined.
Rule 7: Respect privacy. Do not post for public viewing any emails or Private Messages unless you have the explicit written permission of each person involved in the exchange.
I already asume this rule prohibits me from posting an EVE-mail sent by The Mittanni unless I recieve his permission.
Now, considering he send the mail to multiple persons, do I need to ask each of the recipients for their permission? Or does "involved" mean they contributed words to the correspondence as well, so I don't have to ask them?
-OOChé

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
Re: Rule 7: When is a person "involved"?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2013, 11:31 »

An "exchange" is a two-way process, sending and receiving.

I would think, based on the wording, that unless others have contributed to the conversation, they don't need to give any permission at all as nothing contained in the message is theirs. Just don't include their names.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2013, 19:24 »

Yeah. Essentially, the people you would need to get an okay from would be whoever actually did the communicating. With a mail, that is pretty straightforward in most situations (whoever sent it), unless what they sent was itself a copy of some other communication.

Edit: Also, though it's probably not a common case (but it is one that I'm about to run into myself) it is totally kosher to post communications from event actors or other CCP controlled NPC puppets of whatever description.

« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2013, 20:43 by Silver Night »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #3 on: 03 Apr 2013, 17:30 »

Thanks for the answers.
-OOChé

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2013, 19:42 »

I assume that communication in a "public" forum is also fine to post, even if it is only you and that individual having a convo in it?

Also, if the audience for a communication was extremely broad, is that still considered a private message?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2013, 20:02 »

For a public forum, if the conversation in question takes place in a publicly accessable area (like an IGS discussion between two people) that's fine.

For the other, depends on what you mean by 'extremely broad'. For example, communications from a corp channel probably still wouldn't work under the rule unless the people involved okayed it. If there isn't really an expectation of privacy though (like a public mailing list) then you are probably okay.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2013, 23:25 »

What if I have a public mailing list mail which is a copy of a corp mail, which was a circulated private message? Huh? What then, huh?

:P

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr 2013, 00:45 »

What if I have a public mailing list mail which is a copy of a corp mail, which was a circulated private message? Huh? What then, huh?

:P

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Vikarion

« Reply #8 on: 04 Apr 2013, 10:54 »

Well played.