Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Sound of Liberty  (Read 2012 times)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
Re: The Sound of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:51 »

Alright.

The general response was written with the understanding that most of the military people I've known in my life have never expressed joy or jubilation over mass destruction and death, even of an enemy. Most of them somberly realize that it's a bittersweet victory - at best.

It would seem that I seem to know all the unusual military personnel, as most are of a different opinion. Thank you for the reviews.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2013, 14:00 »

I'll throw in 2 cents, having been in the military, too...

In the moment, it's all high-fives and jubilation.  Afterwards, there's serious reflection on the costs.  At the end of the day, however, military personnel are property of the government, exercising force where politics and diplomacy have already been deemed a failure by the powers that be.  Winning is their chief concern.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2013, 14:10 »

It makes sense I guess, but I am not so sure myself. That's typically american to my eyes. I am genuinely curious to hear about that kind of things in other countries, now that I think of it.

What is typically American?

Cheering over that kind of things. What we see in the movies.

Not saying that it is what happens or not in the US army. Some people like Malcolm seems to say that they do not know a lot of people like this, and others like Baxter seems to say the contrary... I am not making any statement here vOv.

Thats also why I was genuinely interested to know more about that.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2013, 14:19 »

Not at that scale. If you can watch the aftermath of the Hiroshima bomb and go 'Whoo! Yeah! Murrica!" then there's something wrong with you.

This is not watching a Spectre take out a vehicle with a few insurgents in it.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2013, 15:17 »

An analogy I would consider similar would be in WW2 when massive ships were sunk. These ships were the great menace of their day, just like the CN titan. Yes thousands of people died, which isn't a nice thing, but I'm sure the victorious side still cheered.

And yes, people cheered after Hiroshima. It's horrible, but that's the nature of war.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2013, 15:46 »

I like how the announcer didn't even refer to the planet by its natural name. It sort of adds an element of dehumanization, so to speak. Nice story:)

And to put the Battle of Caldari Prime in perspective, approximately 60 million people died over the course of about five years during WW2. Recent news suggests "tens of millions" people died in the Battle of Caldari Prime. Let us be very generous and say 20 million died in the battle. That is a third of the total casualties of WW2, in less than a day's time. Pretty crazy stuff, I'd say.

Personally, I don't think Gallente military servicemen would cheer at the sight of a 7 km projectile steering towards a city that housed many Federal citizens.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2013, 17:13 »

Alright.

The general response was written with the understanding that most of the military people I've known in my life have never expressed joy or jubilation over mass destruction and death, even of an enemy. Most of them somberly realize that it's a bittersweet victory - at best.

It would seem that I seem to know all the unusual military personnel, as most are of a different opinion. Thank you for the reviews.

Just to be clear. I wasn't trying to say that it's a bad piece of fiction. I'm just wondering, as someone who has always been a civilian, how real military view this sort of thing.

I suspect veterans would have a subdued reaction, better appreciating what is happening. But cadets are in the middle of a serious bout of motivation to go out & kill people on behalf of the group that is training them.

I can also recall a couple of real life accounts by British servicemen (Bravo Two Zero & Sniper One) that portray people being very aggressive and eager for battle, mainly because they hadn't been in one. Most British troops that had been under fire previously had been so in places like Northern Ireland, which isn't the same sort of thing at all.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:03 »

A good read IMO.  The 'real response' is not something I am going to consider - thematic silence is thematic and a reflection of a general mode of response isn't required when the name of the game is mise-en-scene. 

More fiction surrounding this event is welcome IMO, especially the views of estranged or foreign capsuleers on the Federation/State conflict and its fall out. 

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:05 »

An analogy I would consider similar would be in WW2 when massive ships were sunk. These ships were the great menace of their day, just like the CN titan. Yes thousands of people died, which isn't a nice thing, but I'm sure the victorious side still cheered.

And yes, people cheered after Hiroshima. It's horrible, but that's the nature of war.

I believe that there were some tears and cheers on Bismark when Hood went up.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:32 »

I believe that there were some tears and cheers on Bismark when Hood went up.

No doubt. And respect for a valiant enemy  is not entirely without precedent.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 [2]