Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Solteur-class titans are not the same as the Erebus-class titans piloted by Capsuleers?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Sound of Liberty  (Read 2011 times)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
The Sound of Liberty
« on: 24 Mar 2013, 17:30 »

Federal Navy Academy, Duripant

The alarm blared over the speakers, resounding through the hallways and echoing across the mess hall. The flood of chatter and the general commotion of silverware and trays ground to a halt as the alarm slowly died down and the purpose for its sounding was made clear over the comm system.

"Cadets and staff, attention!" The powerful and clear voice of Academy Commander Arlissa Monroe rang out. "Today is a pivotal day in Federation history! Five years ago, the warmongering and destructive Caldari mercilessly and suddenly attacked the civilian planet of Luminaire Seven! Five years ago, the CNS Shiigeru was set in orbit over the planet, a symbol of tyranny and injustice that would hold Federal citizens hostage under the oppressive thumb of a dictator bent on destroying our way of life!"

The mess hall began to fill with murmurs and whispers as the events of that horrific day were recalled in the minds of those present. A brief pause in the message over the comms would usher in images over Luminaire VII on the vid screens surrounding the room. The murmurs and whispers vanished into silence as the images of a massive titan exploding and sinking into the atmosphere of the planet could be seen along with several other ships breaking apart and meeting their end above the planet.

The silence melted away as Monroe continued, "Today! Today that symbol has been shattered! The iron fist of the tyrant Heth is broken and scattered, its support fleet crushed and trampled beneath the might of the Federation Navy! No longer will this testament to the evils of the Caldari darken the skies of our populace! Today, you are all part of the force that defeated villainy!"

Images of the massive battle over Luminaire VII continued to play out over the vid screens, the mess hall was paralyzed with silence as every eye watched the scene unfold.

"Today Freedom and Liberty stand beside justice! Stand proud, citizens and soldiers of the Federation! Today is your day!"

The vid screens continued displaying the massive debris breaking apart and disappearing into the atmosphere of the planet. Ships exploded as death and destruction acted out their spotlight. No cheers rang out from those present, no celebrations nor shouts of victory.

Only silence. Only the sound of liberty.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2013, 17:33 by ArtOfLight »
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Re: The Sound of Liberty
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2013, 19:32 »

Loved this SO much.

Short and hits. Just like it should be.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2013, 22:17 »

Nice juxtaposition between the rousing speech and the sober reception!

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2013, 22:24 »

Nice read! :D

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:18 »

That it is. I can't help but wonder if real world cadets would respond this way though.

Where is the picture from by the way?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:23 »

That it is. I can't help but wonder if real world cadets would respond this way though.

They may or may not respond that way, to be honest. The general reaction of people to simple news would be cheer but we are often far less gleeful when we see the effects. The silence is in realization of the great cost this victory would come at with the ship falling into the planet, etc. In general, the Federation populace has always responded negatively when the fallout from an action seems more costly than the benefit.

As for the picture - I found it on Google and blurred it intentionally.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:33 »

Nifty story.

Picture looks to be from Starship Troopers, one of them not sure which.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:42 »

Its a nice portraying of how young people could react realizing the Feds just went "tovil" on caldari Prime, mixed reactions flowing through the brains coping the contradiction of removing the threatening titan in the capital system, but also scarring the lifes of millions on the planet. Really nice.

Also, i believe the image is from the upcoming film ender's game (based on the book afaik).

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2013, 06:44 »

Also, i believe the image is from the upcoming film ender's game (based on the book afaik).

Right you are.

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:34 »

They may or may not respond that way, to be honest. The general reaction of people to simple news would be cheer but we are often far less gleeful when we see the effects. The silence is in realization of the great cost this victory would come at with the ship falling into the planet, etc. In general, the Federation populace has always responded negatively when the fallout from an action seems more costly than the benefit.

As for the picture - I found it on Google and blurred it intentionally.
While I'm not an expert on the Federation - not in any way, shape, or form - the reaction by real-world cadets would probably be quite the opposite of what you've depicted. Cheering, back-slapping, fist-shaking, etc. When I was on a 2009-2010 deployment with the USS Nimitz to the Gulf, an often-repeated desire was to sit off Bandar Abbas and buzz the Iranian control tower with F/A-18s, just to show them who was boss. We knew it would probably result in a firefight, and casualties, but we were supremely confident in the ability to kick some Iranian tail with a single aircraft carrier strike group.

The military mentality often works in different ways from civilians. Just to point that out.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2013, 12:23 »

Fair enough.

Vikarion

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:10 »

What Baxter said. A realistic response would be to have the cadets cheering and calling for an invasion of New Caldari. Nonetheless, it's a good story.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:17 »

I agree with Baxter and Vikarion. While it is a great story, I imagine the result would be more akin to a riotous celebration.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:24 »

It makes sense I guess, but I am not so sure myself. That's typically american to my eyes. I am genuinely curious to hear about that kind of things in other countries, now that I think of it.

Rhiannon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2013, 13:44 »

It makes sense I guess, but I am not so sure myself. That's typically american to my eyes. I am genuinely curious to hear about that kind of things in other countries, now that I think of it.

What is typically American?
Pages: [1] 2