Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Lonetrek dialect of the Caldari language is sometimes called the "throat infection" dialect?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Gracious in Victory, Gracious in Defeat (You Faction and You)  (Read 8259 times)

Vikarion

...the faction and our characters have been irreparably harmed.

That might be a touch dramatic?

Also as was just said, people don't get to choose these things in real life.  Sometimes governments turn awful, people have to make awful decisions and manage as best they can.

None of us have a 'right' to our faction being represented positively, or with well-written plots we all approve of.

I've absolutely done my fair share of bitching and moaning about TEA and what happened to the Amarr, and Jamyl.  I've also gotten over it and not let it ruin my gameplay.

Well, I sure wouldn't want to be a German patriot after World War 2, would you? Hey, it's pretty bad being an American patriot after the Iraqi war, and that's far more defensible.

Yes, irreparable harm can be done to the RP or reputation of a faction.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette

Generating participation and enthusiasm for things we do in space is generally our own responsibility. 

We the players came up with our own events, our own storylines, and our own winning and losing despite a lack of CCP involvement for years. 

Now that we are getting some actual PF support for the first time in years some people can't say 'thank you I'll try and have fun and work my RP in and around this, or try to collaborate on new content' it's

'you aren't doing it the way I want it done'

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that it's in CCP's business interest, with regard to having a storyline at all, to make all sides appealing and interesting, in order to drive enthusiasm and get free publicity/content for their game.

Vikarion

Here's the problem with "sometimes you have to suffer with bad events," though. In a game where you are trying to get active participation on all sides, with a lot of enthusiasm, you need to think about how you want to construct things such that people will actually have that enthusiasm to propel your storylines and game events beyond your direct action. If people get frustrated and fed up with it, they aren't going to get excited about things and give you a ton of free content for it. That goes for all sides, not just the Caldari.

It creates kind of a sickened malaise. For example, I have the next two articles about ship design in my series (Gallente and Caldari) almost ready, but at this point I can't be bothered to finish editing them.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

I've been complaining about these things since TEA came out. Whether CCP is malicious doesn't actually matter. Given some of the responses Caldari RPers (not just myself) have gotten from CCP Falcon and other devs on the Eve-O forums, it may actually be malicious. But the thing is, when it's been actual players doing something, I have been gracious. When the Gallente had CCP change the FW system in their favor, I complained about it. When they took all the systems, I said they should get a medal.

If you don't want to read about how people disagree with what CCP does, why not stop reading the grand total of two threads on this site currently devoted to that purpose? It's not like Caldari RPers are running around pouring sewage over everything. But if we express dissatisfaction, we're whiners and "ungracious" in defeat. Nuts to that.

Get a grip please. I have Damar blocked for a good reason and would not want to have to block you as well.

Being annoyed that things are not going your way is understandable, making up grievances as you go is not.

Here's the problem with "sometimes you have to suffer with bad events," though. In a game where you are trying to get active participation on all sides, with a lot of enthusiasm, you need to think about how you want to construct things such that people will actually have that enthusiasm to propel your storylines and game events beyond your direct action. If people get frustrated and fed up with it, they aren't going to get excited about things and give you a ton of free content for it. That goes for all sides, not just the Caldari.

It creates kind of a sickened malaise. For example, I have the next two articles about ship design in my series (Gallente and Caldari) almost ready, but at this point I can't be bothered to finish editing them.

While I would love to see these, if your that far out and down about it, I would seriously suggest you stop your subscription for a few months or a year, whatever it takes, and work the 'bad' out of your system, to put it like that. If your not even enjoying your own home-made RP works, it would be high-time for a break.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2013, 11:51 by BloodBird »

Hamish Grayson

Dex, Vik and Svet; I've been described before as one of the few the torch bearers of Caldari RP and if I qualify for that title then certainly the three of you do as well.   However, I think that each of you should ask yourselves is there still a place for you in the RP community and if eve lore is still worth your energy and passion?

As for this thread…those people who have the ability to understand your arguments already agree with you.    The others don’t possess the means to comprehend your points.  I really think it’s best to cast your pearls of wisdom somewhere they’ll bear more fruit.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2013, 11:57 by Hamish Grayson »

Vikarion

Dex, Vik and Svet; I've been described before as one of the few the torch bearers of Caldari RP and if I qualify for that title then certainly the three of you do as well.   However, I think that each of you should ask yourselves is there still a place for you in the RP community and if eve lore is still worth your energy and passion?

As for this thread…those people who have the ability to understand your arguments already agree with you.    The others don’t possess the means to comprehend your points.  I really think it’s best to cast your pearls of wisdom somewhere they’ll bear more fruit.

Yeah, you're right. It isn't. And there isn't.

Vikarion

BB, thanks for reminding me that I can block someone. Please reciprocate.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Vikarion, if you support a faction it's up to you and your resources and imagination to make your faction successful despite itself. 

If you don't like the way FW is going, then change it.

If you don't like the way the storyline is going, then it's up to you to convince other loyalists IC to rally and change the course of things.

And if it still fails, then it's on your character to react like a real person would handle 'defeat'.

The storyline is icing on the cake.

Your actions with other capsuleers is the cake, and you bake it any way you want.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!

Well, I sure wouldn't want to be a German patriot after World War 2, would you? Hey, it's pretty bad being an American patriot after the Iraqi war, and that's far more defensible.

I am pretty sure this isn't the end of Faction War, so either defeat or victory, while being significant, is not so grave.
Both victory and defeat in this particular battle can, in fact, be used to inspire Caldari to fight. For example I could name a couple of operations that will have much greater impact on faction war than fight for Luminaire.

Either way, if you stand in fight, died you or survived, won or lost, you (as a character) did the right thing and have nothing to be ashamed of.
And if you can't be physically in fight, you can just RP that you was inside dat titan, manning one of guns or fighters (though i am not sure it has fighters, but anyway), you got the idea.

Staying loyal to your faction, giving support to the last, no matter how things unfold, and then you won't 'lose' even if you faction 'lose'. So, just, show your firm resolve and devotion of your character.

As of being on losing side, I remember one particular battle to try to defend a system against huge fleet. CTA was called a couple of days before the battle, but only a couple of peoples showed up. I think we took major plex, i was in a battlecruiser, and then they arrived and went in. Of course we just died, but luckily we did manage to kill something. System was lost, but we gave fight without slight chance of victory, and even score a kill. And it was glorious.

Vikarion

I am pretty sure this isn't the end of Faction War, so either defeat or victory, while being significant, is not so grave.

The problem from my perspective, Lithium, isn't that you can lose - I expect that. I have no problem with, for example, the Gallente being able to take all systems and having that as a victory. That's only fair. The difficulty comes when you "win", or make every effort to do the right thing, and still have it railroaded into a defeat or an example of your evil...or when you aren't allowed to win in the first place.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

What's stopping you from recapturing all the systems for the Caldari?

Vikarion

Why bother? The last three times we took most or all of the systems, bad things happened to the State. Fool me once, ok. Twice, I'm a moron, sure. But even I'm not biting at three times. It takes a lot of effort to hold systems in Placid, it's easier just to let the Gallente sit in BR, and there is no reason we should not.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Why bother? The last three times we took most or all of the systems, bad things happened to the State. Fool me once, ok. Twice, I'm a moron, sure. But even I'm not biting at three times. It takes a lot of effort to hold systems in Placid, it's easier just to let the Gallente sit in BR, and there is no reason we should not.

How is you current stance on the situation going to improve things for you faction?

Vikarion

How is you current stance on the situation going to improve things for you faction?

I'm not going to give a shit. That will make things better for me. The faction can go to hell.  :D

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I'm not going to give a shit. That will make things better for me. The faction can go to hell.  :D

This sort of behavior makes your opinions carry less weight. If you don't give a shit why should anyone give a shit about what you think?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5