Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: We can only wish...  (Read 10825 times)

Vikarion

Re: We can only wish...
« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2010, 16:55 »

Ok, modifying to be as inoffensive as possible, while still conveying my central point:

I find the viewpoints expressed on that page to be in line with a general trend of thought that discounts factual evidence, is uninformed, and typically resides alongside the belief that certain "enlightened" persons have the right to dictate the actions, thoughts, words, and beliefs of others.

The viewpoints expressed in those articles, in my experience, reflect a lack of real-world experience, or an understanding of the drives and natures of human beings. The deus ex machinas needed to create their little imagined scenarios underline this. While I cannot and do not speak to the general character, personality, or any other qualities of the OP or the authors of the page linked, I do believe that the correct action upon reading such material is to analyze it by the harsh and luminescent sun of reality, whereupon the suppositions and ideals contained within will prove to be so much ash.

Better?
« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 21:30 by Vikarion »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2010, 17:03 »

I found it eye-rolling-ly stupid and childishly ignorant, as well as hopelessly arrogant.

See what I mean?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2010, 17:04 »

Come on, guys. No need to get insulting. Simmer down.

Vikarion

« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2010, 17:17 »

I'm not insulting anyone here. I said "I found it..." etc.

Liking or disliking that page does not mean that the person who likes it is also subject to my impressions of the page - people are more than simply their political opinions.

I also hate parsnips. I think they are disgusting. However, parsnip eaters are not themselves disgusting, though I question their judgment.

Kamiko Hautala

• Clonejack
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2010, 17:25 »

I have never eaten a parsnip before in my life.

I am now going to drive to the supermarket and buy some. Thank you Vikarion.

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2010, 17:31 »

I have never eaten a parsnip before in my life.

I am now going to drive to the supermarket and buy some. Thank you Vikarion.

You won't once you've eaten it.  :(

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2010, 17:39 »

Imagine seeing "good news" in the news for once, really.

I see good news in the news fairly often. The local AP papers are generally pretty full of them. I also tend to get the majority of my news from the interwebs in non-US and non-major news outlets.

If you want to get away from the "SCARY HORRIBAD NEWS ALL THE TIME" I suggest you do the same. The more local that a newspaper or news venue gets the more positive news it has, no matter where it comes from really, there's a lot of bad shit going on in the world, and let's face it -- it sells newspapers.

Kamiko Hautala

• Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2010, 17:50 »

Well a simple formula is needed for news:

Less people = more positive news, bad news is very minor
More people = more neutral to negative news, good news is entertainment or good deed related

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2010, 20:58 »

Personally, I found Vik's statement dangerously close to violating Rule 11, though I also appreciate his point about criticizing the site rather than the member here.

Vikarion

« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2010, 21:22 »

Personally, I found Vik's statement dangerously close to violating Rule 11, though I also appreciate his point about criticizing the site rather than the member here.

I thought about that, but then, by that logic, isn't posting this is the first place, with the title it has, basically calling my viewpoints trash?

I decided that I could differentiate between people's views and the people, so I'm expressing my views about the views expressed on that page. I'm not expressing it about the authors any more than is absolutely necessary by inference, or those who posted/agreed with it.

The other options are to either declare this board leftist-aligned/authoritarian-aligned, and forbid opposing viewpoints, or to avoid discussion of political views altogether. I don't think that those are better options, but I'll consider rephrasing the initial statement if I can find more appropriate and still sincere words.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2010, 21:26 »

I thought about that, but then, by that logic, isn't posting this is the first place, with the title it has, basically calling my viewpoints trash?

I don't know if I'd phrase it that way myself, but I will agree that I intentionally stayed away from addressing the substance of the site for not entirely dissimilar reasons. :)

Kamiko Hautala

• Clonejack
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2010, 21:28 »

Considering I made the political thread, which just so happens to be the most viewed and replied thread on this board, I will make sure that only that thread is what we discuss when it comes to political viewpoints. We can't jump around from thread to thread preaching our particular ideologies, especially when Night made it clear in the rules.

I'm fine with what Vikarion said, and with what anyone else says about this prank newspaper.

Vikarion

« Reply #27 on: 07 May 2010, 21:31 »

Ok, modifying to be as inoffensive as possible, while still conveying my central point:

I find the viewpoints expressed on that page to be in line with a general trend of thought that discounts factual evidence, is uninformed, and typically resides alongside the belief that certain "enlightened" persons have the right to dictate the actions, thoughts, words, and beliefs of others.

The viewpoints expressed in those articles, in my experience, reflect a lack of real-world experience, or an understanding of the drives and natures of human beings. The deus ex machinas needed to create their little imagined scenarios underline this. While I cannot and do not speak to the general character, personality, or any other qualities of the OP or the authors of the page linked, I do believe that the correct action upon reading such material is to analyze it by the harsh and luminescent sun of reality, whereupon the suppositions and ideals contained within will prove to be so much ash.

Better?

Ok, Casi, modified. This work?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 07 May 2010, 21:32 »

Wow! :D

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 07 May 2010, 22:58 »

I liked it better the first time, also I liked the way I worded it "Idealism. How quaint". ;) Said the same thing, but in less words! Hehe.

That said:

The other options are to either declare this board leftist-aligned/authoritarian-aligned

Are you kidding? Have you seen the results on the political compass thing? I'm practically a Fascist by comparison!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5