Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Author Topic: Recruitment Methods  (Read 3753 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Recruitment Methods
« on: 07 May 2010, 07:46 »

It seems most corporations operate a "wide-net" kind of recruitment.  We post corporate descriptions, recruitment ads, and provide public channels to get to know people.  This also means we generally wait for people to come to us.

The "wide-net" approach means a larger audience sees your ad and we do not waste efforts on those entirely uninterested.

Does anyone practice "head-hunting" methods of recruitment.  "Head-hunting" would mean going out and looking for characters/players who are interested in similar activities to the corporation and have the skill sets you are looking for.

The "head-hunting" approach results in a much smaller audience being approached, but when someone does join, you already know they meet your needs as a corp.

A combination of both is likely best, one in which those who are attracted to the corporation can approach it and those players/characters the corporation is interested in recruiting can be sought after.

Thoughts?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Recruitment Methods
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2010, 09:46 »

Another option, and one that I think is rather commonly used, is the "friend net" method of recruiting, which is a sort of derivation of both wide net and headhunting.

In the "friend net" system, you start with a core group of people who already know each other, who each in turn invite a friend they trust. It's important to note here that the person might not be trusted in the beginning - for instance, my first CEO and I had chatted in local in a system we both ratted in for some time (I was still in the Imperial Academy). One day, he managed to get my normally extremely cautious self tackled in a belt; I was in a harbinger and he was in a hurricane. He beat me into hull and then said that no, he was not a pirate, but felt that from the talks we had and the fight I put up in the belt that I had potential as a good pvper. He then invited me to his corp.

In this case, there is initially a "wide net" approach in that anyone can approach you and ask to join. However, you require them to go through a process - either a waiting period or series of tests or trials, or even both - that converts the process into something much more resembling the head hunting approach.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Nakatre Read

• Resident Angel
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2010, 09:50 »

I'm basically doing those two kinds of recruitment. The "wide-net" approach and the Headhunting. So far I have to say that the headhunting is slightly more difficult. Because when you find a person that will suit the corporation, chances are also higher that said person is already in a corporation, or not looking to join one.

Both approaches work well when combined, but I still think the wide-net approach has actually more success. But while headhunting may prove to be a lot of effort for little to no result, you're still putting your name out there when you talk to people, potentially putting yourself in the back of their minds just in case they end up in the situation where they are looking for a new corporation.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2010, 09:55 »

It also means that, even if the person you've tried to recruit decides to stay in their current home, he may well refer others to you if he thinks they would fit. And those referrals can be gold.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2010, 16:23 »

Of course every time you recruit someone you are taking a risk.

What do people do to limit exposure to infiltrators and corp thieves?

Or is that propietary knowledge?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2010, 17:33 »

Application Forms, APIs, Interviews, Referrals, this, that the other.
All of these are well and good, but there's still a risk.

We really ramped up our security in terms of recruitment when some dude we'd recruited a few days ago popped the corporate freighter. (Appalling Loot drop, thankfully) and made off with what was left of it.
I think the most effective are probably lengthy 'trial' periods, which put off all but the most determined 'bad guys'.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2010, 09:44 »

Limiting what you put available in corp hangars and refilling it as needed works well too. For both recruitment and security not putting all your eggs in one basket is the way to go.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2010, 09:20 »

You can never completely guard against corporate theft or being ripped off on some level, but you can make it obscenely difficult for people to cause any real damage to your corporation.

Over the last 4 and a half years or so, I've messed with a few recruitment methods and have finally settled on one that keeps the corp secure and makes certain that we're recruiting capable and competent pilots.

We recruit into [VETO] itself by referral, meaning every person who submits an application has to have a member of the corp willing to vouch for them in order for them to be considered. This makes people very reluctant to vouch for just anyone.

Coupled with that, when we do recruit publicly it's only to [VETOA], which is a separate corporation under the alliance banner and has no assets. Trainees here are given no roles while they're with [VETOA].

Even when people are recruited to [VETO] itself, they only receive the roles that are absolutely necessary, and corporate hangars have less than 400m worth of assets in them. Not even our directors have the "director" role in game, they simply have a slightly elevated set of roles to what members do specifically tailored to their job.

Typically anyone wanting to rip us off would get about 200-400m out of it, and the issue would be resolved within a max of 24 hours.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2010, 17:04 »

Not even our directors have the "director" role in game, they simply have a slightly elevated set of roles to what members do specifically tailored to their job.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in that particular mechanism. Or, I suppose, in not using the "director" mechanism.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2010, 18:22 »

The ingame mechanics for security is a joke. In the end it comes to trust and what you can afford to risk. As an example any of the other 4 members in my corp could anytime run of with with all the arrays and the 2 control towers we got up. Not really worried about that as we all where in the same corp as new players and they have had a long time to do so if they wish.

If it happens it happens. Frankly there are limits on how far i care to take my paranioa in a game.  ;)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 18:31 »

As much as I dislike the current security setup, the problems really stem from a difficult UI that leads CEOs to give up and grant blanket rights. POSs get slightly more problematic, but they can be managed as well.

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2010, 18:51 »

recruitment is my specialty.

i've found that a collaboration of recruiting and retention is the most efficient way to go.  Feed people in and provide regular activates while they assimilate into the new culture.  though at this point i've been lazy and enjoying the "recruitment by osmosis" that happens when your corp is full of upbeat happy membership having fun (in what ever type of fun your guild does, even if its mining!) and then those members naturally attract and recruit people they meet and know and who also like to do those things.

I wrote a recruitment guide where I condensed the proven standards in marketing and sales (face it, recruitment is sales) into EVE-centric ideas and coupled them with my own highly successful experience both at personal and corp acquisition.  Remember before alliances we had to merger, that was interesting!

It is all sort of a clinical distillation of the natural skills which promote sales, which at their core are merely sub-communication between us social animals.  :bear: