Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yay free speech?  (Read 4376 times)

Gesakaarin

Re: Yay free speech?
« Reply #15 on: 05 Feb 2013, 20:11 »

The very use of the word law carries with it ideas in my mind that do not apply to the Caldari.

Yes, Caldari probably have their own terms and definitions.

I think there should be a discussion on the legal system of the Caldari State separate from this though.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 05 Feb 2013, 21:52 »

I've got the impression that most of the Megas have the opinion that every citizen is free to hold and express an opinion, provided that they accept the consequences of sharing it. In general the Caldari don't much value speeches on their own merits - feeling that unless someone is willing to put their shoulder behind an idea and push, it's just useless noise.

Speaking against the CPD is something that, I assume, has been happening a lot lately. I'm taking this from Falcon's statements that whilst the average Joe Caldari appreciates a lot of what Heth did getting into power, CPD intrusions into daily life are becoming onerous and unwelcome. Obviously, CPD's raid on Ishukone property represent a serious breach of protocol and are nigh on unsupportable by any right-thinking Caldari who isn't a dyed-in-the-wool Provist.

That said, I read Kor's speech as going a lot further than expressing concerns and enticing the average citizen into legal resistance. I think it came damn close to inciting armed revolt and I'm wondering how Ishukone could do anything other than disavow it, as John was forced to do.

Nice writing though, eh? :)

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 06 Feb 2013, 00:30 »

Just my two deci-ISK, but I don't think most megas give a damn what their low-level employees say or do on their off hours. So long as it doesn't impact efficiency, or reflect poorly on the parent corp, the effect of letting them do as they please is negligible. And the cost of attempting to ensure each and every citizen is fully 100% loyal and complying with company policy every minute of every day would be overwhelming. We're talking billions of people per planet, and there are a -lot- of planets in Eve. The fact that the megas can operate like they do at all is awe-inspiring just by itself, nevermind the sort of bureaucracy that would be required for the level of thought-police needed to counteract general free-speech.

Granted, if someone says something that -does- infringe upon efficiency or solidarity, that might be a different story. But 80%-90% of the time, I really can't see the mega worrying too much.

I'll also cast my vote in that the main point of the news flash wasn't necessarily that Caldari have civil rights (which is an efficiency thing; happy workers are productive workers), rules, regulations, whatever you want to call them. Rather, the focus was more on the CPD raid itself. Which, as I understand, was conducted on some pretty shaky legal ground, if indeed it was conducted on any legal basis at all. From the sound of things, the Provists might be getting a little too morally superior for their own good.

I myself, with my Gallente leanings, will be watching with popcorn and great interest.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 06 Feb 2013, 01:07 »

The very use of the word law carries with it ideas in my mind that do not apply to the Caldari.

Very much this.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #19 on: 06 Feb 2013, 21:06 »

Ok, so color me new, but how are laws, or the concept of laws, un-Caldari? Corporations thrive on legality and policy, to which laws are nothing more than the written codification thereof.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: 06 Feb 2013, 22:28 »

As I see it, the State, as an entity, operates largely as an interface between the Megacorps, and as a tool for the Megacorps to project foreign policy as a unit. It's laws are the sort of thing the SEC in the US might be concerned with. Laws as they apply to individuals or smaller organizations are really more in the vein of whatever the policies of the Mega who has jurisdiction are.

Matoko

• Wetgraver
« Reply #21 on: 06 Feb 2013, 22:51 »

Ok, I follow that so far. It even makes sense from what I know. But I'm still not sure about how that makes the concept of laws unsuited for the Caldari.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 07 Feb 2013, 00:51 »

Ok, I follow that so far. It even makes sense from what I know. But I'm still not sure about how that makes the concept of laws unsuited for the Caldari.

My view is that most people think of law being something a government imposes on its citizens and their organizations.

When someone says Caldari Law or State Law it implies there is some State entity that can impose laws across the State without the consent of the real powers that be (the corporations).   Up until recently, I think many of us viewed State Law as not existing outside of contracts signed between corporations.   The State had no authority to say that the same law applies in a SuVee enclave as it does in a KK enclave.

At this point, however, based on some of the language, news, and pf appearing; this interpretation seems to have been wrong.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #23 on: 07 Feb 2013, 01:21 »

Some of the new PF calls it a bit into question - but to the degree that it is right, the CPD seems to be trying to change it as well.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #24 on: 07 Feb 2013, 05:15 »

I thought State law could be synonymous with "any law that all eight megacorporations agree to" still.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2013, 12:18 »

Previous to the abortion that is the CPD, the only laws that were actually imposed by the CEP were ones that the CBT was in charge of enforcing that generally were in place to keep the corporations from being too destructive towards each other and uniting the Caldari towards the outside world. "Murder" is not a State law, it is a law enforced by the corporation which control the jurisdiction of where it occurred (similar to how in most cases, murder is not a federal crime in the United States unless it involves federal employees). In my not-so-humble opinion, anyway.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2013, 01:48 »

Caldari Mary Sues - Ishukone! Play Caldari badasses without all the nasty fascist bits!

Now, now Seri, I wouldn't go so far as to call Ishukone Mary Sues. Just because Ishukone citizens enjoy a little bit of leeway doesn't mean Ishukone as a whole are sweet, innocent angels. I mean, gosh, what the hell do you think Ishukone and I-RED are really doing down here in Syndicate? We are not all ponies, unicorns, and rainbows let me tell you!  ;)

Also, just because the State is currently controlled by fascist-like Heth/Provists doesn't mean the megacorps are, by extension, fascist.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2013, 01:51 by Korsavius »
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:33 »

Seri is just jelly and mad that his RP isn't half as interesting as those Ishukone types. ;)

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2013, 10:58 »

Once again, I need to point out that "Liberal" Caldari does not mean puppies and sunshine. It means they believe in open trade and have an internationalist view on foreign relations. At least in my mind, Ishukone does just as many dirty tricks as every other corporation. They are probably more focused on the long term success of their company and the Caldari State than the Practicals, but they are certainly not goody two shoes.

If CCP starts turning things that way, I will be most displeased.

Vikarion

« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2013, 11:01 »

Once again, I need to point out that "Liberal" Caldari does not mean puppies and sunshine. It means they believe in open trade and have an internationalist view on foreign relations. At least in my mind, Ishukone does just as many dirty tricks as every other corporation. They are probably more focused on the long term success of their company and the Caldari State than the Practicals, but they are certainly not goody two shoes.

If CCP starts turning things that way, I will be most displeased.

I don't think you need worry too much about CCP portraying anything about the State in an absolutely positive light, ever.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3