Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [Character] Cynthia Gallente []  (Read 7079 times)

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
Re: Cynthia Gallente [Closing thoughts]
« Reply #30 on: 30 May 2013, 17:53 »

I understand what your feeling and some others are saying. I quite like the RP scene and after spending my first year in EVE interacting only with non-RPers I have to say the average person is so very much nicer really. However there is some truth to the idea that there are cliques in the scene.

Now the thing is, not sure why anyone is surprised about that. Pretty much the human condition in a nutshell. There will always be friendly groups and outsiders. The key, just like back in highschool is to find the other outsiders that fit your interests. Go out and fly with the people you think are interesting. If your RP needs to be changed a little so that you can do so, do it. If your all "fuck everyone doing my own thing" with your RP, well that's also cool. Do what you like and maybe people will still irritate you from time to time but you can just think they are a dick and move on with your EVE life.

In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. I for one do not want you or anyone to leave. Whatever I think of any of you or your stories, you are all bringing more content to the game. We need you. Stay.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #31 on: 30 May 2013, 19:14 »

I'm sad that a rp'er was driven away by less open minded people.  :cube: :cube: :cube:

Really?

Closing thoughts.
The eve rp community is a very insular thing.
People are more than happy to pile on and make other feels bad.
People would rather stomp out a good rp'r than work with them, perhaps this is a bit of jealousy?

Less open-minded indeed. My previous 99% finished post on this managed to get killed so I'll make this brief and to the point.

In my opinion RP is a two-way street, a consensus among it's participants. It requires that people are interested in being part and contributing, otherwise they will leave or voice their displeasure.

It is completely possible that the "old timers/bitter vets" need to slack a bit on whatever this mythical "norm" in RP is and how tight it is, so that new players can have room to grow their stuff. On the other hand, the bitter old timers do have a right to expect a specific standard, and pretty much being an attention-seeking drama-lama don't help on that.

Back when Cynthia opened her bar the first time, I had people in the corp at the time (MXD) interested in being there for the lolz they were sure to have from the spectacle. They were not dissapointed, from what I recall. I, and by extension my toon, had no desire to take part. That kind of RP is not my thing and the topic did not interest me. I have, as you may have noticed if you think back Cynthia, ignored you as much as possible.

Ergo, I have offered you plenty of room on my own to do as you please in, as you have been a non-issue in my book. In return, I've heard, among other things, of the first time you bar was blown up, the second time, the drama around them, the conditions in your bar, what you do in Jita local, the conditions around that, the supposed third time you blew up the bar, I've read your character resume, and so on.

I've not been especially impressed. Loads of noise and movement in a short time. No crime in that, but now that you are leaving and we got a tread about that I am once again reminded about the duality of new vs old in the RP scene and the drama that may ensue. In my opinion it's not really a problem just about that, it's also a problem about you metaphorically wanting to have your cake and eating it.

Again, RP is a two way street. If you received feed-back on your actions and choices and not all of it was bad, you may have wanted to consider the feed-back for what it is. Instead I am now told that 'less open-minded people' somehow forced you out of RP, and I hear from you yourself that you are a GOOD RP'er getting *stomped* by others and chased out, like this was some sort of conspiracy to hound out a perfectly okay person and you did no harm at all.

I have no patience for that. I have no more patience for anyone that can't self-analyze and consider any possible issue on their part. Perhaps the community at large need to slack it a bit, but "the community at large" is a very wide term that pretty much covers everyone in EVE that RP at all.

All of us did not tell you to piss off, but you yourself picked up your toys and say you were leaving. Take care Cynthia.

You remind me of another who made a similar choice once. Perhaps if you mellow out a bit, you will be back. We will, mostly, still be here when you do. No-one can force you to stop RP'ing if you want.

But we *can* and will expect a standard of a kind. We have as much a right to it as you do.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2013, 22:49 »

Well, it's not so much about STANDARDS, I'd say, as it is about basic networking.

As others have pointed out, humans form social circles. Preferential hierarchies of human beings that they have relationships with. If you need labels then I imagine you could use Core, Inlier, Fringe, Outlier and Pariah.

Note that a Core relationship need not be friendly. Some of us are defined by our antagonistic relationships, rather. The levels represent frequency and importance of interaction, rather than friendliness. Pariah doesn't, for example, represent someone we HATE so much as it represents someone that we avoid interacting with at all costs. A Core relationship need not be a lover or a sibling - it could also be our nemesis. Someone who we would drop everything to interact with the moment they enter our view.

Cynthia tended to exist within a web of a certain kind of experience. There were bunny slavegirls. There was an indecent amount of drugs. There were weekly assassination attempts. Lots of drama - and a certain type of drama. Perhaps a type of drama that you wouldn't want your character involved in?

Cynthia Gallente and Pieter Tuulinen were on civil terms. I would, for example, compliment CG on her latest hairstyle. I attended the opening of CG's club. But I wouldn't seek CG out for interaction and I never went back to her club. To quote the old reference "It is a silly place."

How many of the 'cliquey' types that supposedly ran her out of Eve RP were really only exercising the same discretion that I did? Not being terribly interested in the kind of plots and experiences that you could have around her, therefore simply not interacting with her?

Cynthia Gallente wasn't a Pariah of mine. She was, I'd say, an Outlier. Someone I limited contact with, unless I was in a certain mood.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2013, 08:56 »

Was CG harassed to the point of leaving the RP scene or was it just that nobody RPed with her ?

Because there is a huge consequencial gap and ethical difference between both.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2013, 10:01 »

I think there was some harassment going on....

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2013, 10:10 »

My understanding is that it was both, but that the more severe harassment (ie, more than stuff that boiled down to "that's dumb, stop that" or being ignored) came from someone who's no longer part of the so-called "the" community.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2013, 10:11 »

The Community is now a meme.

But yeah confirming Moarlag's story as that was also my understanding.

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2013, 10:54 »

also confirming.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2013, 12:12 »

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2013, 13:37 »

Uhm...not confirming? There were some people who RP'd with you.

Anyway, I'm still hoping for something like this.
Also, if we do this The Community thing, can I be The Abed?

[..] the first time you bar was blown up, the second time, the drama around them, the conditions in your bar, what you do in Jita local, the conditions around that, the supposed third time you blew up the bar, [..]
If you received feed-back on your actions and choices and not all of it was bad, you may have wanted to consider the feed-back for what it is.
About all the drama surrounding The Bunny Lounge, do people hold CG solely responsible, or do people also hold the other players involved responsible (you know, the ones actually blowing up the club, killing CG, etc.)?

And concerning the feedback, I get the idea that one half said one thing, and the other half said the opposite thing. I'm pretty sure CG listened to one side at least half the time.

I have a whole lot more to write to express my views on the matters surrounding CG's departure, but I think it'll be in a different thread. For now, I'll just hop on The Community Meme Train... ;) (Tongue thoroughly in cheek)
I actually expected Pryce to post something like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
This also came to mind:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Oh, and here's some nazis from The Community:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2019, 11:01 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2013, 14:29 »

Harrasment is bad. There is never a reason for it. I wanted to come out and say that as a counterpoint to my more scholarly 'game theory' posts in this thread.

Again, I'd also point out that 'The Community' is largely an illusion, since it is merely the largest group of intersecting social circles. That's why trying to appease 'The Community' is largely an exercise in futility - the best thing to do is to find a circle whose mutual consensus you enjoy and seek to become a part of it. That way your 'feedback' won't be confusing and suggest mutually exclusive 'fixes'.

Did I blame CG for all  the derp? Yes and No. The fact is that she created an environment (The Bunny Lounge) where Derp was expected to occur and it attracted people who like that sort of thing.

People who like beating up other players. People who like planting bombs in things. People who think they can whip a railgun at a highsec orbital without getting their butthole rebored to 1400mm by Concord.

But CG was not responsible for Derp that other people create. He had to make the decision on whether to engage with that RP or ignore it. It's a terrible choice and, to be honest, I VERY seldom retcon RP events out of existence, so I understand  his reluctance to do so.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2013, 14:35 by Pieter Tuulinen »

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2013, 14:39 »

I actually expected Pryce to post something like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
This also came to mind:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Oh, and here's some nazis from The Community:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Oooh, I like them a lot. I shall add them to my collection of all things hateful.

PS. The original picture gains more momentum once you realize from what sort of series it is from.

Cynthia Gallente

• Bunnies
  • Wetgraver
  • Bunnies.
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2013, 14:41 »

i was confirming the negative feelings, i was able to find plenty of rp. with real good folks.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #43 on: 02 Jun 2013, 10:51 »

I hope you do not go, especially not for the aforementioned reasons.

A lot of people in eve, especially in RP, are dicks.

A lot arent.

Either way, *hugs*
Pages: 1 2 [3]