Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that non-capsuleer viewership of the Intergalactic Summit reaches into the hundreds of millions and vehement debates rage within planetary communities based on the positions espoused there by capsuleers.

Author Topic: a discussion about OOC channel  (Read 3128 times)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
a discussion about OOC channel
« on: 02 May 2010, 11:12 »

Dismissing all criticism as "baseless slander" is a rather rude response.  I have directly experienced and witnessed some of the partisanship that goes on when it comes to chatsubo and inspiracy (about a month or so before you guys launched).  Denying it happens at all is, itself, a partisan position to take and invalidates the position held by others just because it doesn't line up with yours.  Invalidating each others' beliefs is not a path that has many options to facilitate mutually beneficial exchanges.

For the benefit of those who presume every difference of opinion to be a complete dichotomy, please let me state explicity: I don't think the whole channel is an irredeemable cess-pit or anything, but it does strike me as a bit of turd-polishing to act like its free of partisanship or the pinnacle of civility.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 12:45 by Louella Dougans »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

You are assuming that the 'partisanship' against Chatsubo is reflected by the administration and contributors that were involved in creating this forum. That there's... hostile... feeling against Chatsubo around is not a surprise. It's been that way for far longer than this particular forum even existed as a twinkle in the eye of the thought that hadn't even contemplated the concept of crossing the creators' minds.

The OoC channel is separate from this forum. Yes, some of the userbase there are users here. Some of them despise Chatsubo and hailed this forum. That doesn't mean there's partisanship going on from any administrator or moderator on this forum. If so, I'd love to see the logs.

And there is severe amounts of baseless slander going on. If you'd like, I can quote you several instances of outright lies, accusations without base, and some severe insults directed at the forum, the userbase, and the administration that have no basis in reality. Call it insulting to call someone out on it when they spew bullshit, if you wish. Doesn't make it any less baseless slander from the people in question.

I can say one single thing for certain: I have yet to see a single such remark thrown towards Chatsubo, it's administration, or userbase from the creators, administrators and moderators on Backstage. And it is not tolerated from the userbase here either. If you have logs that say otherwise, I'd be happy to peruse them.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger

You are assuming that the 'partisanship' against Chatsubo is reflected by the administration and contributors that were involved in creating this forum. That there's... hostile... feeling against Chatsubo around is not a surprise. It's been that way for far longer than this particular forum even existed as a twinkle in the eye of the thought that hadn't even contemplated the concept of crossing the creators' minds.

I was assuming no such thing, but thanks for denouncing assumption-making while engaging in it.

Also, you've just opened the door to the exact argument that was being used as a rallying cry against Chatsubo in some of those exact discussions: administration don't seem overly concerned with separating substantive disagreements from targeted attacks.

The OoC channel is separate from this forum. Yes, some of the userbase there are users here. Some of them despise Chatsubo and hailed this forum. That doesn't mean there's partisanship going on from any administrator or moderator on this forum. If so, I'd love to see the logs.

Again, I'm using the same logic that was good enough for the inspiracy crowd, failure to properly moderate and shape the community.  Whether an administrator is themselves partisan or not doesn't matter, what matters is the result in the channel.

And there is severe amounts of baseless slander going on. If you'd like, I can quote you several instances of outright lies, accusations without base, and some severe insults directed at the forum, the userbase, and the administration that have no basis in reality. Call it insulting to call someone out on it when they spew bullshit, if you wish. Doesn't make it any less baseless slander from the people in question.

Does other people hurling mud somehow diminish the reality of what I experienced visiting there?

Does other people making up accusations somehow take away from the impact of legitimate ones?

I'm just saying be careful how broad you make the "baseless accusations"...accusation, it is insulting to have someone dismiss your legitimate concern, lumping all sources of negative comments into the same "liars" group (another very partisan attitude).

I can say one single thing for certain: I have yet to see a single such remark thrown towards Chatsubo, it's administration, or userbase from the creators, administrators and moderators on Backstage. And it is not tolerated from the userbase here either. If you have logs that say otherwise, I'd be happy to peruse them.

I didn't say anything of the sort that you're refuting above.

If you'd like to respond to the post that I wrote some time, I'd be glad to read it.  The response you've offered here looks more like it was a response to accusations of conspiracy and collusion on the part of the organizers, which is not a charge I even remotely made.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Then I have misunderstood you, but it still looks like you're somehow saying the OoC channel has something to do with THIS forum, or Chatsubo for that matter. It's a wholly separate entity, and thus I don't understand your argument.

The userbase of the OoC channel, the moderation of the OoC channel, the behaviour and administration of it... well, what does that have to do with THIS forum? The baseless slander we're talking about here occurred elsewhere, from another source. I think you're misunderstanding something if we're talking about any complaints you've had.

(Which, by the way, I haven't seen anything about on the moderation forums here)

Did you take the complaints you had to the moderators/administrators of the OoC channel this occurred in? Did it occur on behalf of/from anyone involved in this particular forum's creation or administration?

I'm sure I'm missing something here, because from what I can tell, what you're talking about is fully separate from this forum, it's creation and it's administration/moderation.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Chatsubo is chatsubo
Inspiracy is inspiracy
OOC channel is OOC channel

and problems should be sent to the right people.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 12:42 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: a discussion about OOC channel
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2010, 17:20 »

And, stop arguing so much about channels, forums and whatnot, and please get out into space so I can shoot you.
* Merdaneth has tried scouting for RP war targets for a week, but it seems everybody is busy on forums or on private channels.  :cry:

There are lots of personality conflicts around, its gonna surface now and then regardless how much we try to be reasonable.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2010, 02:36 »

Hey merd, we're still around and kicking ingame :p Just saying

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2010, 03:18 »

I'm not sure exactly what the OP is getting at, which leads me to the impression that some simple general background information is helpful to dispel misconceptions.

During the design phase of this forum, measures were instilled to help avoid the influence of partisanship in the prosecution of vital processes such as moderation, etc.  It is a moderation principle here that moderators with a conflict of interest should not be the one to take action. It is a general principle that the aim is to have a representative moderation and admin team, to avoid unbalanced decisions. The best decisions are made with inputs from all points of view, which in a varied RP community may be diametrically opposed, even with the same information.

During the design phase of this forum, there was a complaint from a concerned part about an MOTD in the OOC channel. The design group for inspiracy was not involved in the management of the OOC channel nor responsible for the MOTD in question.  Attributing responsibility to the inspiracy designers simply because the person who had created the MOTD in question was supportive of the inspiracy initiative is logically flawed.  In short, the OOC channel is, and always has been, a distinct entity outside of the jurisdiction and control of those running inspiracy.  It may be true that a member of the admin team has been amongst those who have had 'OP' status on the channel - this does not imply control.  With Ashar's goodwill initiative, even that will cease to be.

What has been criticised as 'baseless slander' have been allegations (unsubstantiated when made) that the Inspiracy forums are hostile or biased against certain persons. The persons making these allegations have not joined these forums - their allegations are theoretical.  Such allegations are harmful to the good name of the inspiracy forums, and to my judgement are not being made in good faith, as they are repeated as fact (they have not been proven and all indicators point to the contrary) rather than a concern. Despite reassurances from representative parties, the allegations continue to be made and attempts to address them as the baseless slander that many can see them to be are being met with the moderation forces of chatsubo on what I view as...interesting...grounds.

That said, I do not wish anything hostile towards chatsubo. My intention is one of assuring justice - in the interests of defending against untrue allegations against the Inspiracy forums.

Does the OP wish to clarify their position further, or does this reply answer their concerns?

Edit: It is worth noting that the bulk of discussions regarding the establishment of these forums is publicly available here: http://www.sanmatari.com/viewforum.php?f=42

« Last Edit: 03 May 2010, 03:22 by scagga »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2010, 03:43 »

Bias? Hmmmm.

Well I've read Chatsubo a few times but never found it a particularly interesting place. Also I find the Revan & Jade double act a tad unnerving, what with calling each other "love" OOC as well as IC it sometimes seems difficult to tell the difference between IC and OOC speech. Can't say that makes me feel very comfortable. So I suppose you could call that bias.

I would hasten to add that this is merely my perception and may not reflect reality in the slightest. It could just be I'm tripping on excess amounts of caffiene.  :D
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.