Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Author Topic: [LFC] Newbie looking for an RP corporation.  (Read 2199 times)

Arkesh

• Clonejack
[LFC] Newbie looking for an RP corporation.
« on: 15 Oct 2012, 19:48 »

About me:
- I'm new to the game. I've been playing about 4 weeks without too much focus, just testing out this and that. So far so good.
- Casual but regular player. In other MMOs, I generally gravitate to RP-medium guilds  where I can have a "character" but I don't tend to get very dramatic about my persona or inflict drama-llama plots on other people.
- Based in the US, but don't mind an EU-heavy corp.
- Interested in pvp though I actually haven't tried it yet. I have dabbled in PI , hauling with my trusty Iteron IV, and some exploration. Not a miner.

What I'm looking for:
- RP corporation (obviously).
- Null sec very strongly preferred.
- A corporation with decent membership or that's in a good-sized alliance.
- A racial corp is fine. I have a month's worth of SP invested in a Minmatar pilot (currently skilling in Amarr ships of all things...). I suppose it's early enough that I'd be willing to start a new character for an Amarr-only (or similar) type of corporation, but it would be nice to use my existing character. I'm happy to devise whatever backstory is necessary to do this. However, starting fresh is certainly an option if I found the right corp.
- A pirate corp sounds intriguing to me, but would probably be hampered by ...

Quirks:
- I'm not going to be on voice comms. On rare occasions, I will be able to listen, but on most nights, I will not. I'm a chatty person in chat channels, so I'm not just a lurker. I know this quirk is like a death sentence in this game. I realize that it means I will have to skip certain types of corp activities. That's fine. I'm happy playing solo or just doing things that can be handled with text and that help others out. I'm a loyal player who likes to contribute as able, so I won't be a drag on your corp, that's for sure.

Are there any corps where I might fit in with these requirements?
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 20:01 by Arkesh »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: [LFC] Newbie looking for an RP corporation.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2012, 20:37 »

I'm not going to be on voice comms.

Are there any corps where I might fit in with these requirements?

:ugh:

Skip certain types of activities... such as skipping PVP altogether, yes.  I don't know of anything really active on the Amarr front that meets what you're looking for right now.  Amarr is pretty scant for RP types.  If you're willing to go down the Caldari path (the right path, the true path), I-RED might be a good home for you.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2012, 21:44 »

What about Null-Sec are you interested in?

Have you dabbled in industry beyond PI at all?

Arkesh

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2012, 22:12 »

What about Null-Sec are you interested in?

I'm interested in my contributions to a corp (however small my contributions might be) making a tangible difference in the game. Holding sov, for instance. I suppose supporting some other type of effort would be appealing, but I'm new enough that I don't fully know what those even might be or how to contribute beyond "mine for the corp." I also like the idea of a higher level of risk and reward. High sec has its dangers, of course, but I suspect I'll be missing out on the fun of EVE if my risks are limited to war decs from griefers and freighter suicide ganks. Low-sec would appeal to me, if that's what you're asking, though it seems a bit more chaotic. Edit: No, that's not what you're asking. To clarify: I like the idea of contributing to the political and economic strength of a corporation and/or alliance that can potentially expand but also potentially suffer real losses. I like a game where something is at stake.

Have you dabbled in industry beyond PI at all?

I have not. The level of SP investment required in order to make profits has scared me off, since I'm not entirely sure that I'd enjoy it or that I'd have the time/resources to do it successfully. It seems like having a POS is a necessity, no? I've enjoyed hauling however.

A bit more about where I could see myself going:
PVP ship: Recon ships appeal to me. Scout. Explore. Report hostiles to the big kids in the alliance/corp. Occasionally surface like a u-boat for some 1v1 if the set-up looks right.
Hauling: I'd like to eventually do freighters, jump freighters, and blockade runners. Especially the latter.
Industry: I have no idea what is fun or appealing or how to enjoy this aspect of the game. Perhaps I will find that I like it.
Mining: From all the advice I've read elsewhere, I should save this for when I'm a bittervet.

Note: Your corp looks awesome. If I sound like a potential recruit and the comms thing isn't a dealbreaker, I'll message you through the EVE mail system.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2012, 22:21 by Arkesh »

Desiderya

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:37 »

Note: Your corp looks awesome. If I sound like a potential recruit and the comms thing isn't a dealbreaker, I'll message you through the EVE mail system.

I can confirm, LDIS is a nice place to be.  :bear:

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2012, 06:42 »

Not to be pouring cold water on your stuff, but this no voice comms is going to be a major achilles heel for you.

Considering that you are a) Interested in null sec, b)interested in PvP/Pirating and c) looking for a medium sized alliance (I'm assuming in the 100s?) that can provide such activities and considering that EVE has an in-built voice chat, this is, in my opinion, a major point of contention.

As someone who pretty much always has their eye out for talent, my thoughts were pretty much "Not bad, not bad, good potential but wait? They're willing to drop out of corp operations for a quirk? Damn, thats a shame..."

Dont get me wrong, there will be people who can overlook this, and you have a good endearing go-getter, try everything attitude. But what I am saying is that this probably going to kill any long-term carreer in facwar, most of null, or anywhere where alliance level PvP is the main playstyle. If you can bring yourself to at least listen on voice, this would help you a great deal.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2012, 06:45 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2012, 06:48 »

Yeah.  Being unable to speak on voice comms is fine, for the most part.  You obviously won't get a role as a scout, or anything that requires two way communication, but you could handle anything like "More DPS for the fleet".

However, being able to LISTEN to voice comms is a necessity in any PvP focused corporation.  Things just happen too quickly in the middle of a fight to rely on text.  Broadcasts can work quite well, but not every FC uses them as fully as they could be, and most just give verbal commands on where to go, who to shoot first, and so forth.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2012, 07:16 »

Agreed with everyone else regarding voice comms given the things you've said you want to do.

I don't really want to pry, but as nobody else seems to have mentioned it - is the reason behind the avoidance of voice comms a personal preference or due to a hearing impairment? By stating you can't do comms you're already shutting yourself out of most of the corps that would take you, but those that would still give you a chance are more likely to do so if it's due to circumstances outside of your control than a willfull choice.

(For the record, I fly in incursion fleets of 40 or so on a regular basis - one of our regulars is deaf and not only does he fly logi, he's one of the best ones available - even better than many of the logis who can hear and use voice comms. It's not impossible, it's just difficult to get a leg up and a foot in the door.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2012, 08:02 »

PVP ship: Recon ships appeal to me. Scout. Explore. Report hostiles to the big kids in the alliance/corp. Occasionally surface like a u-boat for some 1v1 if the set-up looks right.

Perhaps a strategic scout vs a tactical one.

Tactical Scout
Yeah.  Being unable to speak on voice comms is fine, for the most part.  You obviously won't get a role as a scout, or anything that requires two way communication, but you could handle anything like "More DPS for the fleet".

However, being able to LISTEN to voice comms is a necessity in any PvP focused corporation.  Things just happen too quickly in the middle of a fight to rely on text.  Broadcasts can work quite well, but not every FC uses them as fully as they could be, and most just give verbal commands on where to go, who to shoot first, and so forth.

Strategic Scout
Wanders around the region(s), shadows hostiles to get shiptypes and numbers, occasionally joins fleets to provide warp-ins.  Lots of reporting in Intel Channels.  "New role" I want to flesh out more, when I have time in game.

LDIS is looking to plus up our active numbers and while we were looking to plus up mining efforts, any major mining effort in null needs to have a good set of eyes only a few jumps away to warn of hostiles.  We can work on training you up for Industry and get you more involved in PI.

More to come when I have time.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:05 »

Strategic Scout
Wanders around the region(s), shadows hostiles to get shiptypes and numbers, occasionally joins fleets to provide warp-ins.  Lots of reporting in Intel Channels.  "New role" I want to flesh out more, when I have time in game.

LDIS is looking to plus up our active numbers and while we were looking to plus up mining efforts, any major mining effort in null needs to have a good set of eyes only a few jumps away to warn of hostiles.  We can work on training you up for Industry and get you more involved in PI.

More to come when I have time.

Some of the other coalitions call them 'morale officers' as they keep the other side from making lazy ISK while providing you with easy targets.

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/utils/getfile/collection/p4013coll3/id/1688/filename/1689.pdf  ;)

We should have that skype call btw.   When is good for you?
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2012, 18:09 by Hamish Grayson »

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:41 »

- I'm not going to be on voice comms.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2012, 23:25 »

We should have that skype call btw.   When is good for you?
I will have to get back to you.  My life has been very busy of late!

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:32 »

If you can just listen in comms in times of need, yes there is a place for you in I-RED. It is very important, and more of a safety measure then anything else.