Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101393 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #150 on: 27 Jul 2014, 06:56 »

Petitioning to rename the thread "Star Citizen: All The Money In The World".

Seriously though, good lord $48.6 million today.

The thing that will be interesting is that they have so many different studios working on different material, and things will really start coming together in the months ahead.   the FPS mechanics, the player universe back end, ships ships and more ships, and etc.

They are also running a full mocap filming studio with actors and all the goodies for the single player campaign

Unless those studios flake, or are mismanaged, or the code doesn't quite fit together, or everything ends up being disjointed.  Or the game doesn't quite come together the way it was promised to ALA Spore.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #151 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:54 »

It's almost as if you wished to see that coming true.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #152 on: 27 Jul 2014, 10:29 »

I see way too much of a Chris Roberts cult in the people who are following this game, and not enough skepticism.  So yeah, I do.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #153 on: 27 Jul 2014, 14:19 »

We will add your hate to the pile, good Tiberius :)

There's plenty about the gameplay I actively dislike in this early stage; I'm trying to be reasonably objective.

Fact is they have been 1000% more transparent and engaged with community input before the game has even launched than CCP has ever managed to be.   CCP has always given the impression of a mountain to struggle against for criticism and relationship with its own community.  Considering the last couple of insider revelations on ccp conduct we know this to be true.

With CIG there is very little of the 'fuck you pay me' attitude that CCP oozes from many pores over many of the last years, and much more 'here's what we are working on, here's what's not going so well, we are reading all your suggestions and making adjustments as we go, and you vote for what the features will be' sort of attitude.

Absolutely no guarantees they will deliver on lofty goals, and they've fallen behind on many of them as the production moves. The inclusive and positive attitude is everything though, and one of the reasons they keep making money hand over fist.

Desiderya

« Reply #154 on: 27 Jul 2014, 18:44 »

Objective comment: Third person animation is bad, enviroment showcased looks nice but is only one kind of enviroment (hello captains quarters).

Subjective comment: I'll buy a game when it's released, making deciions based on the amount of conent that's being released, not on the content that's being promised or ~theoretically possible~. If we went by that we'd have all of that in EVE by now.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #155 on: 27 Jul 2014, 22:19 »

Objective comment: Third person animation is bad, enviroment showcased looks nice but is only one kind of enviroment (hello captains quarters).

Subjective comment: I'll buy a game when it's released, making deciions based on the amount of conent that's being released, not on the content that's being promised or ~theoretically possible~. If we went by that we'd have all of that in EVE by now.

They've shown a lot of other environments but most have been 'interior' spaceship sorts of hangars and facilities, not a lot of good material yet for planetside and things looking different than 'generic' sci fi future-y locales. we'll see.

I was already hooked on eve and drinking gallons of ccp koolaide, so they got 10x the money out of me I've given to star citizen.  I'm already getting more for my money so far on this investment :P

Desiderya

« Reply #156 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:13 »

Any game ever: What they do not show in teasers, WiPs, trailers and documentaries does not exist and is slated for "the future, when we have time(which we don't have)".
It's still a lot of time until 2016, so let's judge what's being shipped then, and not what's being promised. It all sounds so nice on paper.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #157 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:26 »

Well, that's the difference between buying a game and investing in its developement. If you buy, you get what you buy, if you invest, you give money so that people can make good on their promises (hopefully). <,<

Lyn Farel

« Reply #158 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:49 »

Any game ever: What they do not show in teasers, WiPs, trailers and documentaries does not exist and is slated for "the future, when we have time(which we don't have)".

wat

Desiderya

« Reply #159 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:19 »

What they do not show in their promo material doesn't exist. So take a good look at what they show, because there's a high chance that this exactly is what you'll get. Their Ship models are insanely detailed, so there'll be a very limited (flyable/enterable) selection available. The same goes for planet and station environments, which will be pretty, functional and small.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #160 on: 28 Jul 2014, 06:22 »

What they do not show in their promo material doesn't exist.
How do you know that? Or don't you know but it's merely by rule of thumb that you assume?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #161 on: 28 Jul 2014, 12:36 »

What they do not show in their promo material doesn't exist. So take a good look at what they show, because there's a high chance that this exactly is what you'll get. Their Ship models are insanely detailed, so there'll be a very limited (flyable/enterable) selection available. The same goes for planet and station environments, which will be pretty, functional and small.

The hate is strong with this one!

A huge portion of the ship lineup has already been modeled in detail and animated for the crytek engine, and you can explore them in your personal hangar right now.  That means you can run around in them as we speak, if you purchase them they appear in your hangar and you can do all the things with them in first person/third person.  If my count is right that is I think 10 fully modeled ships with variants for many out of the current lineup of 25 or so player-piloted ships.  Not bad. Mind you some of these ships will be half a kilometer and larger with fully modeled interiors and working parts, etc. It's a lot do to.

The rest are being worked on, and the ones that are 'in the hangar' but not yer flyable for multiplayer are in the pipe for the next few patches.  The ships that are modeled but not in multiplayer are currently getting all the passes for 'damage states' and all the varieties of different pieces being blown apart.  One of the other programming difficulties is basically mating the two 'instances' of the ship simultaneously: the first person experience in the ship, say getting out of the pilot seat and walking around, manning a turret or station, etc, and then the 'space' instance of that ship flying around. 

Perhaps you could clarify a bit more on what you mean by a limited selection of flyable/enterable? You can of course contrast with how many ships in EVE are enterable/exitable in first person :P

The station and planet environments will probably be modular and be expanded/added as things are finished.   Remember that the interiors of these ships are also doubling for FPS combat levels as well.  You're probably right about them being a bit 'smaller' but more detailed. 

I'm not expecting anything from them that they aren't talking about and showing WIP of along the way.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #162 on: 28 Jul 2014, 12:46 »

What they do not show in their promo material doesn't exist. So take a good look at what they show, because there's a high chance that this exactly is what you'll get.

In "any game ever" ? Or just in Star Citizen ?

Either way, in the first case I have difficulties to believe that you are telling me that with a straight face, and in the second, well, I don't work for Cloud Imperium obviously, and their business model isn't exactly what i'm used to, so I couldn't tell eventually. Since they seem to be very transparent about everything, even in pre alpha state, perhaps that you are right.

Their Ship models are insanely detailed, so there'll be a very limited (flyable/enterable) selection available. The same goes for planet and station environments, which will be pretty, functional and small.

That's a reasonable assumption to make. I am not sure what to see what is your point/issue ? That they have so much money atm that they should do more ? I hope they will, yes.

I also hope they will add many things, especially planets and locations, but also various and diverse ships, detailed and rich, unlike what Eve has to offer.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #163 on: 28 Jul 2014, 13:29 »

I also hope they will add many things, especially planets and locations, but also various and diverse ships, detailed and rich, unlike what Eve has to offer.

Here's the current ship lineup...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

Desiderya

« Reply #164 on: 28 Jul 2014, 14:14 »

I disagree with the viability of the dream as it's advertised by fans - super sandbox universe with hundreds of explorable ships etc -
therefore I hate. There's little to explain about what I said, really.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44