Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that a theremax is a musical instrument constructed of a thin, black piece of rubbery material with embedded oscillators that is played by moving one's hands in the electric field it generates? (p. 100)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101695 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #120 on: 04 Jun 2014, 06:48 »

It's Out!  10 gigs.  And someone has to go to work....  Will be very interested to check this out after I get home tonight. 

In the mean time, launch trailer! 

Hasn't been optimized and the framerate / fx still look early but that looks fuuun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWD97jYEaDU

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #121 on: 04 Jun 2014, 09:49 »

I will note with some small satisfaction that mittens' propaganda hole website seems much slower to report on the demo release than they were on the demo delay.

Heh.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #122 on: 04 Jun 2014, 12:53 »

Plenty of videos being uploaded here's a good place to start:
http://youtu.be/PNDCJcM-qxg?t=1m46s

I will try and do some FRAPS tonight if possible.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #123 on: 04 Jun 2014, 19:35 »

Good to hear that they FINALLY RELEASED THE DAMNED THING.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #124 on: 05 Jun 2014, 08:58 »

Plenty of videos being uploaded here's a good place to start:
http://youtu.be/PNDCJcM-qxg?t=1m46s

I will try and do some FRAPS tonight if possible.

How was it?  I confess to being curious.

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #125 on: 05 Jun 2014, 18:51 »

It's fairly stable for a pre-alpha build, and it requires the player to RTFM (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/dpd639fngtcakr/source/Arena-Commander-Pilots-Guide-V0-8.pdf). The controls are causing space sim purists to kick up a huge fuss because a) Keyboard+Mouse and Controller have become the most optimal ways to play the game whereas joystick and HOTAS support isn't officially in yet and b) many of the weapons are Gimballed with an "auto-aiming" feature within a small space as long as the player is aiming at the target ship.

This is despite Chris Roberts mentioning repeatedly that Star Citizen is meant to be a spiritual successor to Freelancer and wants to make the game as accessible as possible to anyone without making it a Call of Duty in space.

I personally was close to asking for a refund because of the endless delays, but I'm willing to give them a chance for now. To be honest, the current release of Elite: Dangerous's alpha looks far more promising than Star Citizen at the present time, but competition is always a fantastic thing for the renaissance of PC space sims.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #126 on: 05 Jun 2014, 23:00 »

It's a promising start, if they deal with some horrendous first steps it will be on the way to a fun space pew pew game

-controls are HYPER sensitive right now.  There's no distinction between 'adjust your course slightly' and 'do a 180'  so trying to line up shots with delicate adjustments is typically an exercise  in futility.  Especially with a joystick.   The joystick mapping was awful and I had to load a custom xml file to fix a yaw/roll bug.

The engine is very good, but the gfx need some work (weapons graphics, explosions, shields, HUD, etc).  I see a lot of potential but right now they need to clean it all up, make them more distinct.  The ships don't feel 'heavy' and real, they feel like they are kind of skating around.   

I think in time as they refine this will all be fantastic, but it definitely doesn't feel 'right' yet in the cockpit game play wise.  For me at least.

The 'immersion' factor is very very high though.  Walking up to your ship, getting in the cockpit, flipping on the controls all seamlessly from first person view I have to admit is very, very cool.   They've done an amazing job of really putting you in the cockpit.  The ambience, and the voice assistance are really damn cool this early on.

here's a good video showing the pew pew (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlE3-5_77Y

this guy using keyboard mouse looks like for sure

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #127 on: 07 Jun 2014, 21:49 »

They've been releasing in-fiction 'commercials' for the various ships.

This one is made to be like an American 'pickup truck' commercial and its hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RxsZpcKc

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #128 on: 04 Jul 2014, 12:56 »

They've upped the multiplayer demo invites to the first 60,000 backers, hopefully they'll get up to me soon (I'm in the 200,000s... boo).   

Game engine/dogfighting continues to get polished and things are starting to look very nice indeed.

Here's a new little video about one of the personal hangars people will be using:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9kVyG6QWQ

My pirate lair awaits!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #129 on: 04 Jul 2014, 13:35 »

huehuehueh

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #130 on: 05 Jul 2014, 09:00 »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #131 on: 05 Jul 2014, 09:21 »

Well if I could I would give you my access since i'm not really interested in testing products in such an alpha state tbh. :/

Looking at vids on youtube is enough to me for now. Not a huge fan of being part of betas, and even less alphas... That's not the real things, and it spoils the pleasure of the release.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #132 on: 05 Jul 2014, 15:04 »

Well if I could I would give you my access since i'm not really interested in testing products in such an alpha state tbh. :/

Looking at vids on youtube is enough to me for now. Not a huge fan of being part of betas, and even less alphas... That's not the real things, and it spoils the pleasure of the release.

Perhaps true, but CIG have been awfully receptive and are reading all of the forum comments concerning shaping the game mechanics and balancing so far.  They are being imo surprisingly responsive to early criticism and requests to tweak controls, etc. 

But yes still very early days and still quite rough.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #133 on: 05 Jul 2014, 16:36 »

too much early access leads to being a bittervet before the game even launches, lol /o\
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #134 on: 05 Jul 2014, 17:57 »

too much early access leads to being a bittervet before the game even launches, lol /o\

Very true, and guessing on the amount of extreme butthurt on the Star Citizen forums debating things that haven't even been developed or tested yet it's going to be an interesting ride.

Example, they put up a lot of 'temporary' stats for lots of ships in the game that haven't been built yet.  Class 'x' shields or type 'x' weapons or engines, whatever.   Even though no one has flown those ships there's always ridiculous threadnaughts about a certain ship being obsolete or useless based on exactly zero information.  "SUCH AND SUCH SHIP HAS CLASS SUPERFUN ENGINES AND OBVIOUSLY WAS A WASTE OF MY MONEY SINCE THIS OTHER SHIP HAS SIZE 4 HARDPOINTS RAAAAGE"

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44