Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101366 times)

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #585 on: 03 Jan 2017, 04:50 »

Lumberyard really isn't that big a change. My reservations remain centred on Chris Roberts being big on vision and slow on delivery. However, I am bought in and through some shrewd ebay trading have managed to bulk out my pledge at no extra expense. So the market meta game checks out ;).

Also what's interesting you Bataav? Happy to chat with people who are cautiously looking at this potential title. Also if it does launch I'm happy to help people who want to wait till launch (this would be most sensible IMO - CIG has enough money at this point and we need substance over pledges IMO), to get a leg up using a larger ship (and I hope others are too). So caution and questions are the best thing for this title right now!
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2017, 05:04 by Aelisha »

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #586 on: 05 Jan 2017, 13:35 »

While I was reading about SC over the holiday period I heard about the an engine change, but I'm not at all concerned.

From what I've learned the switch to Lumberyard was a straight forward affair due to its similarity to the previous engine, and there are now a wider range of tools, etc. available for future development, as well as Amazon infrastructure.

Perhaps I'm new enough to following the game, though I've been aware of the title ever since the original fundraiser. My waiting has just begun, and so I've not developed the cynicism or frustrations other may have. Most recently I watched this podcast which seems to be fairly balanced, the three players involved sharing a balance of enthusiasm and frustration about the pace of development, and what they're able to enjoy right now. Interestingly all three seem to be estimate 3.0 going live around the end of spring.

They also linked this production schedule, which looks at the current release detailing what features, etc. were ahead, on, or behind schedule (and by how much), and an intended list of stuff for what's coming soonTM.

In terms of what I'm looking forward to, I think the recovery/salvage/resourcing gameplay along with hauling and trading looks really good. I like the NPC crew idea too for the larger ships, which kind of reminds me of some ideas from another slow moving kickstarter (which seems to have drifted from its original concept) - The Mandate.

I decided to go ahead and register an account, so there's a character waiting with the "Bataav" name, though I've not paid them any money yet for one of the starter packages.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Aelisha

• Egger
« Reply #587 on: 07 Jan 2017, 06:46 »

Seems like a sensible and level way of observing what's going on.

I'll be looking into the grey-trading side of things: smuggling and merchandising from my Merchantman. Though I have developed a love of the arena commander gameplay.

There's a long way to go yet, but I am hoping 3.0 will be followed by SQ42 - Roberts needs to start showing evidence of delivery, not just promise of great things.

Nissui

« Reply #588 on: 13 Jan 2017, 16:36 »

Not a SC dood, but as a neophyte in constructed language this presentation was pretty neat. Hope you investors don't object to the inclusion of such worldbuildiness.

https://youtu.be/4b6tWxM_d0o

Aelisha

• Egger
« Reply #589 on: 15 Jan 2017, 12:00 »

TBH I love it. Good to find out more behind how it's done in the film industry and beyond. Though I must admit to being a bit of a xenophile in this game - I got hold of a Merchantman to sate my need for both aliens and trading.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2017, 12:03 by Aelisha »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #590 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:21 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTqjgy3efOY&feature=youtu.be

Been a while so here are latest highlights for current vaporware 3.0 release:

TLDR Still more an assembly of tech demos than a 'game' and they have a lot of work to do on proper gameplay loops and polish, but the underlying tech is quite fantastic, multiple moving physics grids, surface vehicles, capital ship combat with players manning turrets and launching fighters, seamless surface to space to planet to surface gameplay.  The 'demo' was buggy and cringe-y in all the ways, but lots of neat stuff as always. Maybe not worth your money right now, but the game will be great someday in 2545.

Highlights:
19:40 RP ALERT
You can use your webcam to capture your face/expressions and voice modulation so everyone else can see your speaking in real time with emoting. Very fucking cool. So they had an asian woman on the webcam and a black male avatar matching her face movements.

This was not one of their better presentations but still some neat things.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #591 on: 27 Aug 2017, 04:07 »

Finally, I can be the Japanese schoolgirl in space I've always wanted to be.

#immersion. #roleplaying.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #592 on: 29 Aug 2017, 14:55 »

Finally my slow-typing hands will no longer delay or cancel my method acting.
-OOChé

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #593 on: 27 Oct 2017, 23:12 »

Start this around 13:00

They've got procedural, planetwide cities now, good lord. Even if you don't care about the game this is a very interesting tech demo.

https://youtu.be/mGcG0g7GsOI?t=13m

anyway, do check it.    Starting from the city on the surface flying around and going up to the orbital station and looking back down on the planet, that's pretty goddamn great.

Oh and then they fly to the other planet and ride around on a speeder bike. neato.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citcon-featured-content/16216-CitizenCon-2947-Recap
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2017, 23:43 by Silas Vitalia »

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #594 on: 28 Oct 2017, 14:20 »

Origin is already advertising to draw Star Citizens.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2017, 06:16 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #595 on: 28 Oct 2017, 21:03 »

What's Origin?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #596 on: 29 Oct 2017, 03:03 »

EA's version of Steam, uplay, etc.

You know, I really can't help but laugh that this thread was started over five years ago.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #597 on: 29 Oct 2017, 06:13 »

Origin is the home system of Alexylva Paradox. :P
-OOChé

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #598 on: 29 Oct 2017, 22:00 »

Haha ooooh.

Origin is the in-game fictional software company you use to play the 'arena commander' and 'star marine' deathmatch modes right now. It's a hold over from the first Wing Commander.

5 years, kind of hilarious, what's typical for the big games, 4-6 years dev?   Roberts needs an editor and someone to both make and keep deadlines without increasing scope, it's their Achilles heel constantly.  I mean all the new shit is cool, but they keep going back and re-doing work to add new features or update gfx, etc....

As it stands right now all of the things you can do won't matter too much with how the game currently plays.  We've all played gorgeous games with terrible gameplay and feel, and awful looking games that were brilliant and fun.

I backed the game/bought a package so long ago that the $$ sting wore off.... I remember the last -few- years I kept being like 'ill wait until SC is out to build my new PC' and that was....ancient history and my pc is now a potato.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #599 on: 31 Dec 2017, 17:04 »

3.0 is out

So you can fly to different planets and do missions and surface/space/all sorts of crazy stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/aI4rPqM.gifv

Also here's about an hour of the 'vertical slice' showing the gist of the single player campaign. Mark Hamil, the Onion Knight from Game of Thrones, etc. Neato!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44