Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101363 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #495 on: 21 Jul 2015, 16:41 »

I don't think that concept artists are indeed modelers, texturers, or anything 3D related. I get that, but I also know that like all studios they will shift resources as required, meaning 3D artists in our case, and they could perfectly divert a part of them to the MMO part.

Mh, I forgot about the requirements for the single player campaign though... That sounds reasonable and inevitable.

Excuses accepted commander. For now.

I'm not accepting them!!! We should be critical all the way :)

gamescon is the test.  multi crew, 2,700 km arena space with a few planets showing new 64 bit positional tech. 

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #496 on: 24 Jul 2015, 11:03 »

First big Arena Commander patch in a few months today, some new ships and huge balance pass.  HP has been doubled or tripled for most ships, a welcome addition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3egio2/115_publish_to_live_downtime_at_12pm_cdt5pm_gmt/

UPCOMING:

Gamescon in two weeks:
Multicrew and Large Map Demo - they will be showing a few people flying in a ship together, using warp drive across a system, EVA to derelict ship, powering up derelict ship and flying that one, all on same engine.

Week or two after Gameson:  FPS module

Few weeks after that: Multicrew module, finally, finally, finally pew pew each other with multicrew ships, which is the only reason I bought the damned game.  Taking FOREVER.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #499 on: 07 Aug 2015, 15:51 »

So this happened. https://youtu.be/4xSOzEWsHOs

So impressed. Live demo of the multi-crew gameplay today at Gamescon. Think of the adventures you and your buddies are going to have. Amazing!

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #500 on: 08 Aug 2015, 13:16 »

So this happened. https://youtu.be/4xSOzEWsHOs

So impressed. Live demo of the multi-crew gameplay today at Gamescon. Think of the adventures you and your buddies are going to have. Amazing!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #501 on: 09 Aug 2015, 06:02 »

What about it?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #502 on: 09 Aug 2015, 07:51 »

That looks shiny and beautiful.

Although their video montage and storyboard is very messed up... I had a hard time getting all the pieces and POVs together and understanding who was who, doing what, and against who... And that corvette cockpit UI looks like a mess taking all screen space...

Now they have the bone and marrow of the system, I really hope they start tacking the MMO part issue. I don't want them to rush it of course, but I see them continuing to add new ship concepts... Start concepting for the MMO part already damnit! So many ship concepts already, the modelers are straggling way behind...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #503 on: 09 Aug 2015, 13:06 »

Now they have the bone and marrow of the system, I really hope they start tacking the MMO part issue. I don't want them to rush it of course, but I see them continuing to add new ship concepts... Start concepting for the MMO part already damnit! So many ship concepts already, the modelers are straggling way behind...

Aye! The first release for the 'mmo' module is next month, will feature the first 'landing area' planetside with a few of the basic mmo interaction setups and I think some rudimentary shops and social areas. 

The 'warp speed' you saw in the trailer was a big milestone for them because the whole demo was on one large 'grid' if you will, which is new for them. 

Anyway extremely pleased with what is being shown, my only big big doubt right now:

1. Instancing and Latency:  There's a lot going on and they haven't really spoken in detail about instance limiting and how they will handle big battles.  A lot of people (including me) are going to be disappointed unless they can get a handle on this and get large battles working.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #504 on: 09 Aug 2015, 14:52 »

I don't care at all for large battles, it only leads to eve-like clusterfucks and spilled toyboxes, but I think we already talked about that somewhere else, possibly in this thread... But I can get why people would love to see some in the game. I would personally be fine with up to 20-50 players max, and that would already be something. Or, more precisely, 20-50 ships... Which could include hundreds of players with multicrew.

I also didn't miss and noticed their warp transitions. Curious to see how they will handle interdiction technology (scramblers like in eve, cruise interception like elite, or else...).

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #505 on: 09 Aug 2015, 17:25 »

Aye! The first release for the 'mmo' module is next month, will feature the first 'landing area' planetside with a few of the basic mmo interaction setups and I think some rudimentary shops and social areas.

So we should expect it beginning of next year then?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #506 on: 10 Aug 2015, 05:21 »

So we should expect it beginning of next year then?

2025 if we are gracious enough and dump more money on them :p

Admit I've been sceptical of all schedules lately but next month or two will be a lot of big features out.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #507 on: 10 Aug 2015, 06:07 »

I don't care at all for large battles, it only leads to eve-like clusterfucks and spilled toyboxes, but I think we already talked about that somewhere else, possibly in this thread... But I can get why people would love to see some in the game. I would personally be fine with up to 20-50 players max, and that would already be something. Or, more precisely, 20-50 ships... Which could include hundreds of players with multicrew.

I also didn't miss and noticed their warp transitions. Curious to see how they will handle interdiction technology (scramblers like in eve, cruise interception like elite, or else...).

50-100 ships will realisticly be an upper limit I think they've mentioned, depending how the instancing works. After a certain distance you would see a ship on radar but it wouldn't be in your local instance if that makes sense. Sort of zones within zones that you travel through.  The people on the deck of your ship in one zone, the ship is another, fighting 10 ships another, the orbit of the planet another, all nested.

Interdiction is more like 'aligning' to warp for the big ships, with a countdown of sorts, and from what they've said a lot of the power management gameplay is useful here, having to choose between more power to engines to gtfo faster or more power to Shields and weapons, etc. 

The UI for the engine and shield control is still awful I think..... Their UI has generally been pretty bad so far imo but we'll see!!

ALSO, did you all see the Saitek/Madcatz announcement?  They are making some star citizen hotas and keyboards, mouse stuff. Based on the current nice Saitek with like an analog thumbstick and an oled screen on the stick

Lyn Farel

« Reply #508 on: 12 Aug 2015, 17:07 »

I eventually registered on the RP community forum... Not sure where it will lead me, and if I actually will try to participate or just stalk a bit for now...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #509 on: 12 Aug 2015, 18:21 »

I usually shy away from forum RP unless I can do things in-game to effect it, also want to wait until more of the game is fleshed out, but let me know how it goes!

Also Lyn they did demo the 'social module' parts at the presentation, you can find links to the vids here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14891-Gamescom-Wrap-Up

also it will be out this month not next month, hahaha i don't believe it but we'll see :)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44