Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101771 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #480 on: 18 Jun 2015, 08:54 »

My problem is most of the fighters are being designed to look like they have to fly aerodynamically in atmosphere.  I don't mind that at all for some of the ships, but most of these ships will be pew pewing in spaaaaaace we don't need aeroplane wings and jet fighter cockpits.

They do a better job with the multi-crew ships, which have artificial gravity and don't look nearly as jet fighter-y.

Also I've noticed a trend that the last few iterations of new ships are indeed getting further and further from the WWII space plane designs.  They are outsourcing a lot of the newer ships to contract artists who are putting their own spin on things.  We're getting more sci fi weird alien stuff and flat out Robotech stuff, it's just a crazy mishmash of aesthetics, I don't know it it will be a neat living world or a horrible blender of random.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #481 on: 18 Jun 2015, 09:00 »

That last one looks like a Moa.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #482 on: 18 Jun 2015, 09:06 »

That last one looks like a Moa.

:)

They should have tracked down and found whoever did the first few years of EVE ships, christ those were iconic and wonderful.

Imagine giving those guys millions of poly counts and stupid amount of time to design full sized ships.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #483 on: 18 Jun 2015, 10:25 »

Multi-crew ships look pretty much shit in my opinion...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #484 on: 18 Jun 2015, 13:01 »

Multi-crew ships look pretty much shit in my opinion...
  Aww really? I'm really liking a lot of the last round or two, the Orion and Reclaimer specifically:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #485 on: 18 Jun 2015, 16:21 »

Yeah, well, those BIG ones are nice.

Not the gunboats, I mean... And definitely not the military capital assets... Yuck.

Iwan Terpalen

• Clonejack
« Reply #486 on: 19 Jun 2015, 00:34 »

God damn it. Spin cancellation: you're doing it wrong. /o\

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #487 on: 19 Jun 2015, 08:33 »

God damn it. Spin cancellation: you're doing it wrong. /o\

Physics does not exist in this dojo (only when they want it to).

Those big spinning boxes are cargo containers, they rotate for visual flair, but mostly to rotate a cargo box to the right position to be loaded or unloaded.

They've actually got a pretty neat unified cargo system in the game, with sizes and containers and such.  The 'fidelity' is pretty rad; you could open up that crate, physically stuff it full of things in first person view (guns, boxes, people, etc), close it up and put it on the ship for transport.  Or for the larger cargo ships use the UI to do mass loading/unloading.

They are making it pretty robust so you are actually physically shipping the stuff from A to B, making a lot of the thieving or space trucker gameplay a bit more immersive.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #488 on: 19 Jun 2015, 13:31 »

On another note I will fully admit I am at the absolute NADIR of excitement for this game.  There hasn't been a worthwhile update in mooonths.

With CR in London directing the mocap shoot it looks like he's not around to crack the whip on the updates. The FPS is -several- months behind right now while they are desperately trying to get netcode issues resolved.

I know all the glory is on the way eventually but we really are at the moses in the desert wandering portion of the story right now.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #489 on: 20 Jul 2015, 20:55 »

Updated ship status chart:

They are up to about 100 ships in the pipe, things keep on movin'.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/272231/ship-status

Big 10fc today, lots of stufF:

http://imperialnews.network/2015/07/10-chairman-episode-60/

They will have some big stuff for gamescon in Cologne in a few weeks

Lyn Farel

« Reply #490 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:46 »

Well, judging from that chart, they have not much ready yet...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #491 on: 21 Jul 2015, 07:53 »

Well, judging from that chart, they have not much ready yet...

Patience Padawan :)

Remember even the single seat ships are like 300,000 polys, the capitals are like 8 million.  Lots of modeling.

CR doubled down on latest letter, telling anyone criticizing feature creep to take a hike, it was refreshing:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14839-Letter-From-The-Chairman

"You all know that already; you’ve lived that. You’ve seen Star Citizen evolve and start to come together. You’ve watched our atoms form molecules, our modules form a real, playable game (that you can boot up and play today!). There are people out there who are going to tell you that this is all a BAD THING. That it’s ‘feature creep’ and we should make a smaller, less impressive game for the sake of having it out more quickly or in order to meet artificial deadlines. Now I’ll answer those claims in one word: Bullshit!

Star Citizen matters BECAUSE it is big, because it is a bold dream. It is something everyone else is scared to try. You didn’t back Star Citizen because you want what you’ve seen before. You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify publishers. You’ve trusted us with your money so we can build a game, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put that money in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a game I’ve made before. You went all in supporting us and we’ve gone all in making the game. Is Star Citizen today a bigger goal than I imagined in 2012? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not: it’s the whole damn point."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #492 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:04 »

Yes, it takes a lot of resources to do all those ships. Believe me, I know more than most people...

That's what annoys me a bit. We already had that conversation above, but they keep adding and adding and adding new ship concepts while not even finishing up the first ones, when they already have a working core of ships and could be focusing on other stuff like world modeling and actually tackling the MMO part of their game.

Who cares if there is 50 less shiney ships for now ? They can add them later...

But it wouldn't bring them the constant flux of money they get from people buying them right now.

No, i'm not spitting on the method used, far from it. But when are they going to end eventually?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #493 on: 21 Jul 2015, 14:29 »

Yes, it takes a lot of resources to do all those ships. Believe me, I know more than most people...

That's what annoys me a bit. We already had that conversation above, but they keep adding and adding and adding new ship concepts while not even finishing up the first ones, when they already have a working core of ships and could be focusing on other stuff like world modeling and actually tackling the MMO part of their game.

Who cares if there is 50 less shiney ships for now ? They can add them later...

But it wouldn't bring them the constant flux of money they get from people buying them right now.

No, i'm not spitting on the method used, far from it. But when are they going to end eventually?

Half agree with you :)

Different people on different groups though, the ship modelers and texturers aren't the same types of employees as the MMO programmers, different studios in different parts of the world. 

A lot of the ships are contained in the single player studio who need 'x' ships complete for the single player campaign so those are the priority for them, the multiplayer ships are dragging behind I do agree.  It gets annoying when you bought 'x' ship they haven't finished yet and hey NEW SHIP YOU CAN BUY, it gets people frustrated.  But they say the concept artist teams are not the modeling teams aka MORE MONIES

So yea they are just generating a huge backlog of ships they have to get to with only x available modelers for it right now.   The ship 'pipeline' has been completely reworked though so they are coming out faster than they were, now that they figured out all of the damage systems and weapon sizing standards (the older ships were all custom parts and it took forever).

Most of the single-seat ships are already flyable, many of the multi crew ones will be ready for Arena Commander 2.0 which should be out a few weeks after gamescon.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #494 on: 21 Jul 2015, 15:21 »

I don't think that concept artists are indeed modelers, texturers, or anything 3D related. I get that, but I also know that like all studios they will shift resources as required, meaning 3D artists in our case, and they could perfectly divert a part of them to the MMO part.

Mh, I forgot about the requirements for the single player campaign though... That sounds reasonable and inevitable.

Excuses accepted commander. For now.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44