Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101823 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #390 on: 29 Mar 2015, 13:22 »

Probably stupid question but... what's the point of high damage low rof weapons since repeaters seem to deal even more dps overall ?

The damage is so high that if you are a good shot you only have to hit them once. With mouse/Keyboard you can do this regularly.   Think of it like eve artillery alpha strike.   

Lyn Farel

« Reply #391 on: 29 Mar 2015, 14:41 »

Ok I see...

There seems to be a lot of heated discussions around M/K vs Stick on the forums. I can understand why tbh.

Davien Kaahtt

• Clonejack
« Reply #392 on: 29 Mar 2015, 16:11 »

Wait till multicrew. Your pilot would want a stick and throttle while your gunner would want a mouse and keyboard. A stick and throttle pilot can out fly a mouse and keyboard pilot (look at racing) but a mouse and keyboard can out shoot the stick and throttle pilot. Mix them and you'll have an unstoppable force.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #393 on: 30 Mar 2015, 02:34 »

Yes i'm with you on that, but currently it's weird to see that 80% of the leaderboard is... M/K... For dogfighters.

Davien Kaahtt

• Clonejack
« Reply #394 on: 30 Mar 2015, 16:07 »

Not weird.

Do you remember back when the xbox360 came out, and microsoft was touting the "Games for Windows" campaign? Basically you could play on your 360 against/with PC players. What they found out, was that the mouse is a much more precise aiming tool then--well--pretty much anything. Even with a bit of auto aim, PC players were owning the 360 players so hard, that it wasn't fun.
Simply put, there are very few Human Interface Devices that are as accurate at a mouse.
Of course, a mouse and keyboard doesn't give you nearly the same feeling of flight as a joystick, throttle, and pedal set. Furthermore, I'd like to see a mouse and keyboard user navigate as well as a HOTAS user. To the best of my knowledge, all top racers are HOTAS users. I guess what I'm saying is, gunnery works much better with a mouse and keyboard, while navigation works better with a HOTAS. Mix the two in 2.0, and you'll be a force to be reckoned with.
Speaking of, I'll need some turret gunners for my Tali...
And a terrible pun for a ship name...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #395 on: 30 Mar 2015, 16:23 »

I didn't intend weird like that.  :P

Weird in the sense that in terms of gamedesign, it's weird. I'm not sure to like the fact that M/K users have an advantage over me and my stick when piloting a starfighter. I definitely understand and support M/K for turrets and point defense systems though.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #396 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:31 »

I didn't intend weird like that.  :P

Weird in the sense that in terms of gamedesign, it's weird. I'm not sure to like the fact that M/K users have an advantage over me and my stick when piloting a starfighter. I definitely understand and support M/K for turrets and point defense systems though.

Yea it's tricky.  The thing is something huge like 75 or 80% probably of the players aren't using expensive HOTAS, they are using M/Keyboard.

I have confidence that the 'real' game, when they get to the MMO portion, will start to favor people who can fly their ships better.  It's hard to hide your ship behind an asteroid with a mouse and keyboard, it's hard to maneuver your ship into the turret blindspot behind a large ship with a mouse / keyboard, etc.

Like Davien says,  I think there might be a lot of auto-sorting, where joystick pilots are in demand to fly the medium sized ships, and mouse/keyboard crew members are in demand to help defend them and for boarding actions.

On the larger ships you'll actually have a dedicated first-person crew station responsible for setting course and engaging engines, etc, along with another station for astronavigation, for plotting waypoints and navigation. 

They talked about a neat mockup a while back where the navigator plots the intended course on his map screen that will show up as an Augmented Reality 'track' on the viewscreen for the ship pilot to follow like a race course.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #397 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:34 »

Also this is in-game, that's all in engine and you can fly around it right now. That's gorgeous.

http://imgur.com/cKeNIue

Lyn Farel

« Reply #398 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:49 »

Let's hope it ends up that way.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #399 on: 04 Apr 2015, 11:28 »

Dem high rez images. 

Although why do space pilot suits have to have all the goddamn glowing lights on them?  Still wow.
http://imgur.com/a/k7IRI

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Lyn Farel

« Reply #401 on: 04 Apr 2015, 12:36 »

I'm a bit sad I missed both the i350 and the other racer exclusive offers...

Anyway, for the report... Didn't read everything, it's a huge wall of text... Even to my standards.

My main grief with the game besides gimbals and the obligatory use of them ingame (with gimbal slots), is the FX actually. Stuff like missiles look damn fine, dust clouds and particles too, but the cinematics of ship exploding, and just generally, the shit you fire with your weapons, looks rather lame/vapid/trite (pick the one you like the most). It lacks the "omph" I would expect, especially SFX wise. I want to hear my engines roar, my weapons crackle, my cockpit being filled up with smoke when I take too many hits on the hull... I want to feel the battle more.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #402 on: 06 Apr 2015, 07:39 »

100% agree on the weapons FX and sounds.  They look and sound terrible IMO.  I don't get that feeling of immensely powerful guns and appropriate visual effects.

One possibility is that we are only seeing 1/3 of the weapons, and only the small ones so far?  Maybe they want all the fighter weapons to sound small so when we use the large cruiser and capital ship guns you can really see / hear it?  Wishfull thinking.

Engine sounds are ok for me, especially when a ship passes close by and you hear the engine next to you (space magic).  But yea I want more/different sounds for all of them.

They also removed the overly sexy female CPU voice from the Origin ships, I think there were some complaints... "Origin Jumpworks....at your service"

I do like my more matter of fact female Jarvis in my Drake Cutlass.

"Target Destroyed. Congratulations"
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2015, 07:43 by Silas Vitalia »

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #403 on: 06 Apr 2015, 08:43 »

I'm more concerned about playable content, optimization and bugfixing. The SFX part isn't very high in my list of priorities.

Still though, the SFX could use some work. If RSI could poach whomever did the sound design for Destiny, that would be neat.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #404 on: 06 Apr 2015, 09:06 »

I'm more concerned about playable content, optimization and bugfixing. The SFX part isn't very high in my list of priorities.

Still though, the SFX could use some work. If RSI could poach whomever did the sound design for Destiny, that would be neat.

Indeed sir!

Although on an unrelated note is anyone else excited that they are using Andy Serkis' Imaginarium for all the mocap work?

They are shooting all of the actors for Episode one of S42 over the next two months or so, some of the mocap rigs look insane that they have been developing!

http://www.theimaginariumstudios.com/

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44