Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101335 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #255 on: 20 Oct 2014, 13:59 »

Yes. Though the real issue is the agility of ships, even with a targeting changing position every second and so transversal (making the aim indicator probably moving all around btw), it might transform into the only solution being to spray the area randomly and hope for a bullet to hit. Especially if some projectiles are slow.

I get your point, it is interesting in itself, but it doesn't solve the main problem which is being able to constantly point your target with impunity.

Also, there is another issue I have noticed when I tried to fly in alone mode : when going full newtonian without any device like occulus rift it's extremely hard to see where you are going. Even with such devices I bet you will not last much longer without crashing into an asteroid. Maps have those everywhere.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #256 on: 23 Oct 2014, 08:29 »

Yeah, things are still a little rough. Part of the reason that it looks so easy to target people, though, is that people fly straight. Guns have high rates of fire and high muzzle velocities, making it fairly easy to hit anything that flies in a straight line. This will get tweaked in balancing - high ROF weapons will end up having problems overheating, limiting how long you can hold the trigger down.

So far, I've only seen three ships with any regularity: The Hornet, the 300-series, and the M50.

The hornet is the heavy fighter. It doesn't turn fast, has lots of guns and lots of armor and shields. It survives by being tough and dishing out a lot of damage, but it doesn't maneuver terribly well so it ends up looking like it's easy to shoot.

The M50 is small and insanely fast with a really weak weapons compliment. It survives by being really freaking hard to hit. If you look up any of the videos by good M50 pilots, they're ridiculous. Any time they get shot at, they just turn a bit to one side and then stomp on the throttle and they're gone. Ditto with missiles, they are too fast and maneuverable to get hit right now.

The 300-series ends up getting the short end of the stick, lacking the Hornet's armor and weapons and the M50's speed, it falls in the middle where it really struggles. It hits harder than the M50 but doesn't have enough speed or armor to survive on either.

If you're looking for a flight model more similar to aircraft dogfighting, what I've seen of Elite: Dangerous should be appealing. The ships turn a lot slower, resulting in more strategic combat where a smaller, lighter ship can stay out of the firing arc of a bigger, more powerful ship.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #257 on: 24 Oct 2014, 12:07 »

So the FPS team is doing a reddit AMA today, very, very cool stuff.

Here's a great quote:

"A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it...."

Now that is some damned sandbox gameplay right there, folks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

FPS module demo'd this weekend coming up at PAX Australia, and out early next year.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #258 on: 24 Oct 2014, 15:19 »

NICE got a dev response during the AMA:

Kedhrin
Posted: 2:05PM
Silas Vitalia | Silas_Vitalia said:
[source]
Are there any plans for 'armored' suits or heavily cyberized options?

Not quite 'Titanfall' sized but something you'd maybe bring one or two along with for a major boarding op?

yes we actually have our own TITAN armor :) its a lot smaller though, about 8 feet talk, like minimech.

SO MUCH WIN

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #259 on: 24 Oct 2014, 15:34 »

So the FPS team is doing a reddit AMA today, very, very cool stuff.

Here's a great quote:

"A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it...."

Now that is some damned sandbox gameplay right there, folks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

FPS module demo'd this weekend coming up at PAX Australia, and out early next year.

Until this is actually demonstrated with the game engine then it's all just words. Don't get too excited about it. It is common for sandboxes to promise the world and then deliver a decidedly less complete experience.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #260 on: 24 Oct 2014, 15:35 »

I don't like mechs :/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #261 on: 24 Oct 2014, 17:01 »

Until this is actually demonstrated with the game engine then it's all just words. Don't get too excited about it. It is common for sandboxes to promise the world and then deliver a decidedly less complete experience.

And more to the point, played live instead of being some silly pre-rendered video.

I was going to say something along the lines of "same shit, different company" but you've put it a bit more nicely.

Really, all I see is a giant Kool-Aid man with Chris Roberts' face on it and a bunch of people shoving their heads in and slurping like they'll never drink again in their lives.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #262 on: 24 Oct 2014, 18:01 »

And more to the point, played live instead of being some silly pre-rendered video.

I was going to say something along the lines of "same shit, different company" but you've put it a bit more nicely.

Really, all I see is a giant Kool-Aid man with Chris Roberts' face on it and a bunch of people shoving their heads in and slurping like they'll never drink again in their lives.

Live demos for fps module  next weekend at a PAX austria, will be out for multiplayer alpha early next year. 

No koolaide, its a real thing.

I remember hearing so much about vaporware but I can log in right now and pew pew in my spaceship  in a pretty polished build any time I like .
 :P

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #263 on: 24 Oct 2014, 18:12 »

Actually I'd add that just about all of the keynotes they've done have been live- crashes and bugs and all.  They usually roll out the latest build/feature on stage and play it live while streaming.

It doesn't always go well but the star citizen events are not like e3 with a fake controller and prerecorded gameplay being faked.

One of the more popular sc memes is from just that, during the very first live demo of the PvP flying the demo crashed on stage while Roberts was playing, and during the live stream to boot. His immortal comments to thousands of players "THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #264 on: 24 Oct 2014, 19:15 »

I'm not a naysayer for SC as a whole, seeing as I'm a backer. I just don't believe in getting hyped on words after both SWG and EVE promised a lot of really cool immersion stuff only to not deliver on any of them.

I'm expecting Star Citizen to end up being an MMO flight sim with some of the immersive sandbox things it's offered, but stuff as specific and intricate as what you quoted above sounds quite unlikely to me.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #265 on: 24 Oct 2014, 20:19 »

I'm not a naysayer for SC as a whole, seeing as I'm a backer. I just don't believe in getting hyped on words after both SWG and EVE promised a lot of really cool immersion stuff only to not deliver on any of them.

I'm expecting Star Citizen to end up being an MMO flight sim with some of the immersive sandbox things it's offered, but stuff as specific and intricate as what you quoted above sounds quite unlikely to me.

Not you, morwen hath drunk the hatoraide  :)

I don't find that scenario far fetched.  The ama was pretty illuminating.

Long and short of it, its more Rainbow 6, tactical, high stakes no respawns sort of thing, no third person.

Also just because it was hilarious..

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #266 on: 24 Oct 2014, 21:44 »

"Hatorade"? Hardly. I've seen the sun and stars be promised only to turn out to be a dinky-ass lightbulb often enough.

I just know better than to treat these oh-so-grand visions as nothing more than PR and wild fantasy until I see an actual release date for a final product. The same treatment that I would give to any game developer making these kinds of claims - it's just magnified in SC's case because I see a lot more people blubbering "b-b-b-but it's gonna be perfect and awesome!" over it in the face of any valid criticism (such as the "pay" model going on right now and crowdfunding methodology in general, or the fact that all that money sure didn't get any deadlines met - as an example, wasn't that dogfighting module more than half a year late when they finally had something to demo, let alone give to people?) than I do for other games right now. Also, it's the only one with an utterly retarded amount of money thrown at it with, frankly, very little tangible things to show for it.

I don't see any of this as healthy for the game industry when high-profile names get involved. Kickstarters and crowdfunding, early access, all of that shit is fine for small entities. But don't try making me swallow the pill that says it's a great thing for big companies and famous names - I'll spit it right out into your eye, because the big wigs have a pretty nasty habit of being about as reliable as a broken clock.

Am I interested in SC? Sort of. It's a space game and I've grown up on them, more or less.

But I'm really not interested in paying to beta-test something, let alone something I have concerns it may not ever see the light of day.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #267 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:53 »

Mmmm, hatorade...

All of this, really. I'll wait and see with some slight hopes for it, but the hypetrain is not matching what we actually are seeing here.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #268 on: 25 Oct 2014, 08:55 »

I think anything that can break the big publisher stranglehold on content, game design, microtransactions, dlc, is a good one.

This will be a good (or cautionary tale) for future development.  I just know they are employing a few hundred people now that don't have to answer to a huge corporate behemoth.  It might just be the party line, but all of the designers and programmers seem to really like working in an environment where they have the time and resources to do good work.  The guy running the game still stays late to write code himself, its just a very different model for production.  I can't imagine that sort of environment at ea.

If it doesnt work he'll never work again though.  The studio behind planetary anhillation stupidly tried a new game kick starter before pa was polished, they got nailed for it. The kick starter for human resources was boycotted by many RTS players and rightly so. The one from the pirannah mwo people was awful as well and didn't get far.

Sc is often behind schedule but they are also frankly the most open studio I've seen in a long time.  They put out so much content to the backers its easy to keep track of what's going on and where they are.  Here's a nice new blog on the ship pipeline https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14244-How-Ideas-Take-Flight-The-Star-Citizen-Ship-Pipeline
which they go into a bit more detail on this week's 'around the verse'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQs2b8KtXJ4
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2014, 10:16 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #269 on: 03 Nov 2014, 07:05 »

FPS demo this past weekend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cir3w-wIx9U&app=desktop

I'm not terribly into fps but this looks pretty sharp for their "alpha" playing live.  The character models look a bit too skatey on the ground like dust for my taste but we'll see. Its all very dark but I think an aesthetic improvent over much of star citizens very bland looking IP IMO.

Still off to a great start!  Not a bad product for $45 you get the full single player campaign with like 40 flying/fps missions and lifetime mmo access.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44