Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: Retribution.  (Read 60760 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: Retribution.
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:21 »

Sure, but is a 5:1 ratio of crowdsourced griefing really what they're going for? You won't need combat power or even the ability to hire mercenaries to get it done. Just drop a fat stack of isk on someone and watch as every two-bit ganker that wanders by does the work for you.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:31 »

Sure, but is a 5:1 ratio of crowdsourced griefing really what they're going for? You won't need combat power or even the ability to hire mercenaries to get it done. Just drop a fat stack of isk on someone and watch as every two-bit ganker that wanders by does the work for you.

Isn't that just hiring mercenaries?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:42 »

Does hiring mercenaries usually get you the attention of every single ISK-chasing gun in the cluster, a guaranteed damage payoff at 5x your investment (admittedly, some might occur as incidental damage, but if they're a hapless indy corp, probably not much), and no need to hassle with contracts or wardec fees?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:56 »

Does hiring mercenaries usually get you the attention of every single ISK-chasing gun in the cluster, a guaranteed damage payoff at 5x your investment (admittedly, some might occur as incidental damage, but if they're a hapless indy corp, probably not much), and no need to hassle with contracts or wardec fees?

It does now.  Though I think "guaranteed payoff" is assuming a fair bit.   The new system just makes it easier to hire mercenaries and random guns-for-hire to do the work for you, via an automated system that eliminates the need for negotiations and guarantees against scamming.

If it succeeds, it means it's a lot easier for someone with a lot of isk to make another player a target of PvP.   Which is, you know, the point of putting bounties on people.  The complacency about pissing people off without consequence has a lot to do with the fact that bounties didn't work up to now.

Keep in mind that CCP only aims to provide a working bounty system.  It's not promising to make the issuance of bounties fair or equitable.   Many players get their impressions of bounties from miscellaneous single-player RPGs, where bounties are rewards for taking down (laughably deserving) criminal npcs.   In an actual system of legal bounties where issuers can be private parties, it comes down to the rich paying to have someone else hurt.   And this means that, yes, a fair number of people will be on the receiving end of a bored capsuleer's wealth.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 11:59 by Shaalira »

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:57 »

P.S.  Bounty does not equate kill rights.  Bounty hunters will still have to issue a wardec or suicide-gank you if you're a hi-sec dweller with a bounty on your head.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2012, 13:04 »

Actual useful bounties based on value of what you are killing is SO MUCH WIN.

You all should be thinking of the RP possibilities. Those of you averse to PVP with cash reserves now have extremely valuable outlets for IC arguments and threats.

Currently placing a bounty on someone is just paying their alt.

This is fantastic.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2012, 13:07 »

Ok, the idea behind it is good. But sorry to say that, CCP, just go back learning about ergonomics for once please.

They changed a squared box to a circular box ? What for ? It's more beautiful like that ? Not even, it's more or less the same and subject to people's tastes.

And on that circular targeting box ? Where the fuck are the shields, the armor, and the hull ? On the bottom ? On the left ? On the right ? I guess it's better for people to try to guess a few times because it's more fun and giggles...  :roll:

They are doing the same mistake again they did with their slots in their new fitting pannel, before you had low slots on the bottom, middle slots on the middle row, and high slots on the high row. Then they decided it would probably make more sense to put them all around a circle on the same level.  :psyccp:

Otherwise I like what they seem to be doing. Not very sure how this new bounty system will not quickly get exploited to the bone like the current one (but extended to everything) but well...

Gesakaarin

« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2012, 15:18 »

I like where the bounty system is headed so far from reading the blog since it may bring along a bit more incidental pvp which is always a good thing, however the degree of anonymity by which bounties can be placed does mean targets have far less means at their disposal to get their own retribution against people who mark them.

Bounties probably won't affect people whose primary play style in Eve is blowing things up and getting blown up aside from maybe getting a bit of extra ISK now and then (Oh no, people want to shoot at me, life is over) but I think it will effect high-sec and introduce new outlets and displays of hilarity and rage.

Quote from: Silas Vitalia
You all should be thinking of the RP possibilities. Those of you averse to PVP with cash reserves now have extremely valuable outlets for IC arguments and threats.

Providing guaranteed payouts for targeted Kill or Capture operations against High Value Targets working against ones own perceived interests?

I think a big part of what I always viewed as a fundamental in New Eden was grimdark corporate warfare carried out by all sorts of hired guns and private contractors delivering explosions and increasing profit through increased bodycounts.

I've always toyed with the thought of being a proper RP mercenary but the system and potential payouts in the past always turned me off. However, where CCP seems to be headed currently with bounties certainly makes merging RP lines into a functional and professional Caldari PMC that is able to profit from providing services rendered to its clients a very interesting option for me.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2012, 15:23 »

I like where the bounty system is headed so far from reading the blog since it may bring along a bit more incidental pvp which is always a good thing, however the degree of anonymity by which bounties can be placed does mean targets have far less means at their disposal to get their own retribution against people who mark them.

Bounties probably won't affect people whose primary play style in Eve is blowing things up and getting blown up aside from maybe getting a bit of extra ISK now and then (Oh no, people want to shoot at me, life is over) but I think it will effect high-sec and introduce new outlets and displays of hilarity and rage.

Quote from: Silas Vitalia

Providing guaranteed payouts for targeted Kill or Capture operations against High Value Targets working against ones own perceived interests?

I think a big part of what I always viewed as a fundamental in New Eden was grimdark corporate warfare carried out by all sorts of hired guns and private contractors delivering explosions and increasing profit through increased bodycounts.

I've always toyed with the thought of being a proper RP mercenary but the system and potential payouts in the past always turned me off. However, where CCP seems to be headed currently with bounties certainly makes merging RP lines into a functional and professional Caldari PMC that is able to profit from providing services rendered to its clients a very interesting option for me.

Yes there is some -awesome- RP possibilities here with dedicated corps and players doing the mercenary thing.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2012, 15:56 »

It does now.  Though I think "guaranteed payoff" is assuming a fair bit.   The new system just makes it easier to hire mercenaries and random guns-for-hire to do the work for you, via an automated system that eliminates the need for negotiations and guarantees against scamming.

If it succeeds, it means it's a lot easier for someone with a lot of isk to make another player a target of PvP.   Which is, you know, the point of putting bounties on people.  The complacency about pissing people off without consequence has a lot to do with the fact that bounties didn't work up to now.

Keep in mind that CCP only aims to provide a working bounty system.  It's not promising to make the issuance of bounties fair or equitable.   Many players get their impressions of bounties from miscellaneous single-player RPGs, where bounties are rewards for taking down (laughably deserving) criminal npcs.   In an actual system of legal bounties where issuers can be private parties, it comes down to the rich paying to have someone else hurt.   And this means that, yes, a fair number of people will be on the receiving end of a bored capsuleer's wealth.

I can't speak for "many players," but I get my impressions of what the bounty system in EVE is supposed to be like from...the EVE bounty system, which as it stands involves placing bounties on those who destroy non-agressive ships in CONCORD-regulated space. Whether that should be changed is a normative question that has nothing to do with what you or I believe CCP's intentions to be, and whether their intentions--whatever they may be--are a good idea is just as open to dispute. I contend that the currently-outlined changes, insofar as they make outsourcing griefing trivially easy, would be bad for EVE. Obviously you disagree.

As a separate issue, there's the fact that for CONCORD to allow the placement of bounties on individuals who haven't violated their regulations is profoundly stupid. But then, CONCORD regularly carries the idiot ball in-universe, so that's hardly new. It could be explained as criminals setting up a parallel system, but I doubt CCP will take the steps to do so, which means any such IC claim would be contentious at best.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2012, 16:12 »

I haven't read the devblog properly but it appears we can all get a WANTED sign slapped on us...our beautiful portraits will all be obscured :(

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:10 »

How many portraits will be changed to look at the 'Wanted' notification? find out!
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2012, 17:28 »

All of them.  And they will all either look shocked or smug.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2012, 22:32 »

Dev answering questions in the bounty hunting thread:

Quote from: CCP Tallest
1. When you buy a kill right, you do so in space when you can see the target of the kill right and the suspect flag is activated immediately. Think of it more like a hunting license than a commodity that changes hands. You paid for the opportunity of a kill, not a guarantee.

2. When a corp or alliance is disbanded, all remaining bounties on it are returned to those who placed the bounties.

3. You can collect bounties in any security. Bounties will not help you get kills in high sec, but they will reward you for your efforts if you do manage to get them.

4. The payment scheme will be set up so that a kill will not pay out more ISK in bounties than was lost in the kill.

And another:

Quote from: CCP Tallest
Quote from: Gizznitt Malikite
A couple other questions....   
1.)  Can I have multiple killrights on the same person at the same time???  (assuming they deserve it!)
2.)  Can a person have multiple killrights on them simultaneously????
2.a)  Assuming you can have multiple killrights on the same person, how do you determine which killrights is used first?  The one that is cheapest?  The one that expires the soonest?  Do they all get used up at once in some type of combined killright???
3.)  If I kill a suspect that has the potential for killrights, but the killirghts were never activated, I'd like confirmation that their killrights will not be altered. 
4.)  If I "redeem" killrights on a person, they go suspect, and get away... the killrights are not "used up".  But does the money I spent to activate the killrights get returned to me?? 

1.) No. You only have 1 kill right for each person who has criminally attacked you. If the same person criminally attacks you again, the expiration date of your kill right will be extended.

2.) Yes.

2.a) If multiple kill rights for the same person are for sale, the cheapest one is sold (activated) first and other kill rights cannot be activated while he has the suspect flag active.

3.) I do not understand this statement.

4.) If they get away, the kill right is not "used up" and the ISK stays with the seller. Buyer beware.

Quote from: CCP Paradox
No-one will know who placed a bounty against them, if you have been a bad bad person then I am sure you will have your suspicions.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2012, 22:50 »

I can't speak for "many players," but I get my impressions of what the bounty system in EVE is supposed to be like from...the EVE bounty system, which as it stands involves placing bounties on those who destroy non-agressive ships in CONCORD-regulated space. Whether that should be changed is a normative question that has nothing to do with what you or I believe CCP's intentions to be, and whether their intentions--whatever they may be--are a good idea is just as open to dispute. I contend that the currently-outlined changes, insofar as they make outsourcing griefing trivially easy, would be bad for EVE. Obviously you disagree.

As a separate issue, there's the fact that for CONCORD to allow the placement of bounties on individuals who haven't violated their regulations is profoundly stupid. But then, CONCORD regularly carries the idiot ball in-universe, so that's hardly new. It could be explained as criminals setting up a parallel system, but I doubt CCP will take the steps to do so, which means any such IC claim would be contentious at best.

The act of reducing your security status only makes you susceptible to bounties.  The actual placement of bounties is entirely up to the whims of other capsuleers.  Most of the time, bounties have nothing to do with outlaw acts.  This is because putting a bounty on someone with the intention to punish them is stupid, given current mechanics.  As CCP noted in the dev blog, the high-bounty players out there are all adverts, attention-seekers, or inactives.

Also, I'm rather curious what you think "griefing" is.  If engaging in an action to the detriment of another random PC is griefing, then the entirety of the game is set up for it.  Putting bounties on random people who did you no wrong is no different from pirates attacking random neutral strangers.  Are pirates griefing?

As for why CONCORD would do this, why does CONCORD allow capsuleers to wage legal war against each other within Empire space for a modest isk fee?  All you need to do is pony up the funds and push a button.  No cassus belli required.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22