Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Retribution.  (Read 60572 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Retribution.
« on: 10 Oct 2012, 14:23 »

Right, instead of having 3 or 4 different threads, I'm just going to post everything new I find out about Retribution as of now, in this thread. Feel free to add anything I've missed, or comment on and discuss the changes.

First things first, a new video dev blog has been released, and you can watch that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7FPA2Bh6g0g

Second, a new devblog has been released to do with the targeting UI, and that can be read here: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73448
Looks to me like they're going back towards the old style (old, old style), but in a rather more polished fashion. I like it. The hit icon thing is an amazing idea, and I will love them forever if that goes through. Being able to tell who is hitting you for how much through visual representation = ♥

Third dev blog in 24 hours, this one about bounties: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73446

Interesting tidbit right at the bottom:
Modular Work

New modules are much less of a focus this time around for team Super Friends, but there are a few things here we’re doing:

Adjust the ASB to be more reasonable. The ASB is a little on the strong side right now. We want to adjust that while maintaining the overall functionality of the module.
Micro Jump Drive. The classic ‘blink’ ability, allowing ships to maneuver around the battlefield in a new way (with some hefty limitations of course) . We’ll try to get this out on a test server as soon as we can. It’s still some weeks away, but stay tuned.
Salvage Drone. As the name implies, this is a drone. That salvages. Need I say more? Ok, a bit. This is a small drone. It’s a bit worse at salvaging than the modules, but has the advantage of course of having longer range while saving precious slot. Again, we’ll get this out on a test server as soon as it is ready.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 09:21 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Retribution.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2012, 20:52 »

Much love for all of this.

Mucho irony that the damage indicators are going back to a 2003 EVE style.  :)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2012, 21:03 »

Maybe we'll get the mighty morphin' Neocom back too.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2012, 21:37 »

I like the targeting UI proposal a LOT. It would also be neat if they included sub-icons for EW. While the current icons above the HP/capacitor HUD is alright, it doesn't immediately let you know who is applying which form of EW. Of course there's always overview, but this system they're proposing looks too shiny not to include EW and the like.

Go CCP! \o/

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2012, 00:09 »

A lot of interesting features are coming down the Winter pipe.  What I find interesting is that they chose the 'Retribution' theme to encapsulate the expansion.  That implies that Crimewatch and the New Bounty System will form the center pieces of the release.  Given the amount of back-end coding work needed to get crimewatch in shape, that's not entirely surprising.

I am skeptical that CCP can design a bounty system that makes bounty hunting a viable and rewarding profession, as opposed to a set of half-baked incentives that will be gamed in unintentional and immersion-breaking ways.  (See:  Inferno FW).  But I'll at least give them the benefit of a doubt; I'm looking forward to seeing the dev blog on bounty hunting.

Mind, I'd love to see pirate-hunting blossom as a profession.  And that's the opinion of someone who plays a 'privateer' that winds up on Concord's bad side more often than not.

Bring it, pigs.

P.S. - On the off chance that CCP succeeds in this, I hope to see a new 'bounty hunter' community in the RP world.  That's a classic character archetype that fits a grimdark setting well.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2012, 00:17 »

Random aside:  The Retribution page touts revamped Bounty Hunting, with players "taking justice into their own hands" being part of the new theme.  This puts the recent live events, which feature brazen pirate raids, in an entirely new light.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2012, 00:27 »

I just really hope the bounty payouts are based on the ISK cost of the ship/pod destroyed and not a percentage per kill system otherwise people with bounties may as well just use an alt to pop their rookie ships for ISK.

Hopefully the bounty system works more like a contract system against corps/alliances where mercenary organizations can pick them up, see what the payouts and reserves are like and get guaranteed ISK per kill and wardec fees until the reserves dry out and the contract has to be renewed.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2012, 09:21 »

OP Updated.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2012, 10:54 »

The bounty system dev blog is up:

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73446

Some initial impressions:
-  Kill rights got interesting, but there will be fewer kill rights going around.  "Only attacking in hi-sec or podding in low-sec."   This means hi-sec gankers and people who bother to pod-kill in low-sec.  Since the latter population tends to live in low-sec anyways (where they can be shot regardless of suspect flagging), this will affect hi-sec gankers the most.
-  The activation of a suspect flag upon initiating a kill right is awesome.  As is the on-demand, click-for-kill-right mechanic.  Again, a pity kill rights will be restricted in the new system.
-  Bounty pay-offs for structure bashing.  I can see someone putting a large bounty on a corporation, then publishing the location of their POS'.   Some pies already make a living off of killing POS' and harvesting expensive arrays, so there could be some business there.
-  "We’re going to muck out all the advertisers, poker stars and attention seekers currently clogging [the bounty system]"  heh.
-  "Finally, we want to support bounty hunting as a career choice, preferably in a way that makes it possible for newer players as well as older players to get involved."  I like this sentiment, but I'm not sure the ecology will be large enough to truly call this a career choice.  This might be a secondary or tertiary isk-maker at best.  Still, people continue to pirate for a living for the fun and pew-pew, even though the isk/hour of pirating is nothing to write home about.
-  Then again, creating a Bounty Hunter leaderboard may be just the thing for people to focus on this 'career.'  Nothing drives EVE PvPers like e-peen.  See:  all killmails.
-  'Private Bounties' is a great idea.  It might finally be the mechanic that revives the PC mercenary industry.  Also ties in well for someone who ranks high on the Bounty Hunter leaderboard, who can advertise for private bounties and personal attention to priority contracts.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012, 11:18 by Shaalira »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:06 »

The OP update was to link that blog :D I should probably have made that clearer, sorry.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:07 »

The OP update was to link that blog :D I should probably have made that clearer, sorry.

Oh, I just saw that.  My post was a placeholder as I typed out my impressions anyways!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:08 »

Am I crazy to feel like letting you put a bounty on anyone regardless of sec status is likely to lead to griefing?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:14 »

Am I crazy to feel like letting you put a bounty on anyone regardless of sec status is likely to lead to griefing?

Not at all. If it can be used, it shall be. >.>

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:16 »

You'd only be crazy if you thought 'griefing potential' was a bad thing in the eyes of CCP game design.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:19 »

You'd only be crazy if you thought 'griefing potential' was a bad thing in the eyes of CCP game design.

it'd make encouraging people to shoot that dude easier. You know, that dude that The Mittani got into trouble for, for suggesting people should shoot them.

Now, just stick a big bounty on that individual, and depending on the payout formulae, then shooting them might even be profitable, even accounting for the ship loss to CONCORD.

So...
\o/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22