Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Author Topic: It's a Big Cluster (PS: I'm giving away 5B ISK)  (Read 4407 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

You know, I start so many of my positions and opinions with that line, these days: It's a big cluster.

Part of the reason is I just think that it can't be emphasized enough. OOC, that there is room for virtually any play style, and a whole multi-dimensional spectrum of sorts of RP. IC that nearly anything is possible, culturally and societally.

I think the easiest example is looking at RL earth. Not to draw specific parallels, in this case, but broader ideas. The very tiniest faction in Eve very likely lays claim to more people than live on this planet. Yet, looking just at this planet, the diversity is mind-boggling. This leads me to believe that it is probably literally beyond my capabilities to imagine the diversity in Eve, because I can't do it for one tiny, little planet that's right in front of me.

This applies to Eve, for me, in making very little unlikely in terms of diversity, and making many things unlikely in lack of scale (speaking here in reference to ISD articles where the numbers seem very often incredibly low).

It means that I always hope that a person coming to the setting will try and explore it that much further. That a veteran player will will find inspiration for something that might be, somewhere in Eve, and share it. That when I am exploring the setting myself I try and find new, unexplored nooks and corners to illuminate.

I said before, though, that I know I can't possibly imagine it - it is beyond me. So I turn to the rest of the community - you folks - to help. Places like this forum, or channels IG.

So, to that end:

I'm going to give away 5,000,000,000 isk. It isn't a contest, or a competition. When I see something that helps expand the world of Eve, for me, I will send the person involved some amount of isk. 10 million, 40 million, 250 million, it will vary.

It is an incentive, and a reward, for helping make my playing experience more than it was before. No entry will be required, though if you would like to draw my attention to something in particular, please just post here. I'll do this until the 5 billion I've set aside for it runs dry or Eve runs out of places to be explored - and I think I know which will come first.

If you don't wish to receive the money, just send it back, and I will keep it in the fund.

As a note, this is separate from the 'Grand Opening' event - which I have postponed until next Sunday.

A second note: The idea of giving away money didn't occur to me until near the end of this post. It just seemed to fit. The points I want to make here stand alone, too, so I am leaving it in the forum section I originally started to post it to.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2010, 11:07 by Silver Night »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: It's a Big Cluster
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2010, 23:13 »

These examples are by no means even close to comprehensive, just a small sampling. Some examples of what people might create:

A city, a shop or other business, a part of a station, a region on a planet, an asteroid colony, traditional stories, legends, urban legends, plants or animals, a sort of ground car, a style of architecture, rituals, traditions, holidays, religions, foods, languages, history, subcultures, communities... and it goes on.

I may add more to the examples later.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2010, 09:02 by Silver Night »

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:55 »

Can people nominate other players who they think have expanded the world of Eve?
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:46 »

I was thinking along of how big the world of EVE really is recently when I read this post on the IGS.

I might sound silly, but I think it is a VERY plausible that a capsuleer woke up in clone one day with a third nibble. Heck, this and similar accidents properly happens more times than you would think. I am hoping this Gutter Press will spew out more gossip with decent levels of plausibility. I mean, where is the light gossip and what are the topics? This is btw. the one of the few topics on the IGS that I do not consider silly e-peening or RP disguised smack talk and that I felt like interacting with.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2010, 07:49 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:43 »

Can people nominate other players who they think have expanded the world of Eve?

Sure. I'm working from when I posted though. If I went back and gave money to everyone who has contributed before, I'd be out before I began.  :D

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2010, 13:39 »

Sure. I'm working from when I posted though. If I went back and gave money to everyone who has contributed before, I'd be out before I began.  :D

In that case, not nominations but worthy of note:

Louella "Spread some love! Spread some joy! Spread some God! In the newd!" Dougans

Matariki and Ulphus for Paiho.

Matariki for Rens Bazaar

Evanda Char for Arkies and for Hairy Uncle Ufric and his Restorative Rinse
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Haitchi

• Clonejack
Re: It's a Big Cluster (PS: I'm giving away 5B ISK)
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2010, 16:08 »

I'm not sure I understand the format, are you asking us to make quality plausible things?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2010, 16:10 »

Yep. Like I said, it isn't a contest or anything. Just, if I see something like that, I'll send money and a thank you note.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2010, 00:51 »

Requesting retrospective ISKies for Future Proof.

... pweese? :P

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2010, 06:37 »

Requesting retrospective ISKies for Future Proof.

... pweese? :P

Haha! I wish I had retrospective iskies  :twisted:

This reminds me...

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2010, 13:38 »

Well, I did write this...

Syn Callibri

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:23 »

Well I don't know for sure if this qualifies OR if I'm even doing it right, but I have been trying to build up the culture of a specific Minmatar tribe since there isn't really a whole lot of "this is how they are" out there i.m.h.o. so I am making up my own while trying to stay true to the spirit of EVE. I would also like to mention a character/player that seems to really be trying to do something with the New Eden Assemly...Benjamin Shepherd.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1352348
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2010, 09:35 by Syn Callibri »