Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Re: "urdoinitrong"  (Read 3135 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Re: "urdoinitrong"
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2012, 14:11 »

I'm not talking about metagaming your way into sekrit knowledge, Lord knows, nor godmoding somebody else's RP. I'm talking about a handwave that has the same practical effect as a bunch of other options; if you want to play that you hired a hacker, that's cool too.

Although I have a character who essentially can't do anything but hack (well, probing and a wee bit of stationside research, but those are closely related).

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2012, 14:25 »

I'm not talking about metagaming your way into sekrit knowledge, Lord knows, nor godmoding somebody else's RP. I'm talking about a handwave that has the same practical effect as a bunch of other options; if you want to play that you hired a hacker, that's cool too.

is it not godmoding to dictate that NPC corporation X, has a system that can be hacked into, to create false records of employment ?
\o/

Jev North

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jul 2012, 17:45 »

It's about the same level as dictating there's a Hilaban Academy for Fine Young Amarrian Ladies, I'd say.

People's tresholds of how much control of the environment any one player can have are, as I think has been shown in the previous five pages or so, very very different.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2012, 18:00 »

It's about the same level as dictating there's a Hilaban Academy for Fine Young Amarrian Ladies, I'd say.

I disagree quite strongly with that. You've always been able to create your own clan, academy, or whatever, that's in keeping with the setting. That's precisely where we've encouraged people to focus their world-building--it's pretty much what "It's a big cluster" means--because it's not seen as god-modding the CCP NPCs.

People's tresholds of how much control of the environment any one player can have are, as I think has been shown in the previous five pages or so, very very different.

Agree strongly here. :wrysmile:

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2012, 20:22 »

is it not godmoding to dictate that NPC corporation X, has a system that can be hacked into, to create false records of employment ?

It is.

It is also a pointless claim. Why would you do that? To claim that [insert non-capsuleer faction you like here] trained you, but you can't show that In-game so you claim to have hacked the record to show some school you supposedly never went to as you employment? Supposedly you also hacked into their corporate channels and maintain this presence in said channels all the time?

Easier, and much more common, to simply claim being a plant from [insert faction]. Federal Navy Academy did indeed train you but your credentials and Id's were fake and you only let this be known when you graduated, because then the farce was no-longer needed as you returned home to Sarpahi for proper service? Or any other manner of less offensive ideas;

- You got a scholarship in the school and trained there before you left for your actual (not hostile to school's faction) nation?
- You decided early on you did not want to work for/serve/live in (insert faction) so you will, now that you have the freedoms of a capsuleer, leave for your new home?
- Make up some other somewhat plausible reason to have been trained in your chosen school?

Personally I generally don't take offense so long as people don't claim to be really special snowflakes and by-pass the whole process in such a cheap way as 'I hacked the school's systems, herpaderp'.

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2012, 20:49 »

I liked Kimberly Omerland's riff on it of her being in a secret training program separated from the general student population to be super-assassins. Reminds me of Ender's Game a little bit with a splash of Soldier, the 1998 flick.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: "urdoinitrong"
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2012, 21:10 »

[mod]I apologize for taking so long to moderate this thread.Deriding other players as 'special snowflakes' and suggesting they aren't 'mature' because they don't play the game the way you'd like them to is in no way acceptable on these boards. Please re-read the FAQ and rules if you find yourself confused about appropriate ways to discuss ideas you disagree with here. The short version is: It's possible to disagree by explaining why your way is great, rather than why their way is terrible (and they are terrible for doing it).[/mod]
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2012, 21:11 by Silver Night »
Pages: 1 [2]