Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Author Topic: [Fiction]A Better State, A Better Home  (Read 1696 times)

Malcolm Khross

[Fiction]A Better State, A Better Home
« on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:50 »

The overhead light flickered on with a quiet hum as the holovid projector began with the morning broadcast. Aitoyo exhaled heavily and rolled onto his side, prying his eyes open and staring at the formally dressed spokesperson on the holovid, an Achura male wearing the public relations uniform of the Sukuuvestaa Corporation.

"It is the beginning of a new day and we here at Sukuuvestaa are committed to maximum efficiency and market growth. Through continued diligence in these fields of expertise, the quality of life for Sukuuvestaa Employees has risen two-point-four-percent since last quarter, with market shares increasing in value by over four percent. As a result, many in Sukuuvestaa are enjoying greater housing, recreation and education facilities; families are finding it easier to provide for one another and more jobs are available for the next generation of our children to continue to grow and develop Sukuuvestaa.

In order to continue to make these dreams become realities, we need you! The diligence with which you work today brings honor to your family and builds upon a brighter future for the State. Your role is vital, your contribution is necessary. Rise to the new dawn and let us continue to pave the path to prosperity and profit together!"

Images of Saisio landscapes with brilliant sunrises, smiling Sukuuvestaa Employees, clean-solution machinery and children being educated in state-of-the-art facilities flash across the holovid throughout the morning broadcast. Aitoyo pulls himself out of his bed and rubs the sleep from his eyes, it sure didn't feel like he had gotten six hours of rest but the corporate clock never lies. Retrieving a pressed uniform from his closet, a small smile spread across his lips.

"Two-point-four-percent? If this trend persists, we'll have a full five-percent increase in market share value and efficiency. Maybe today I'll be able to increase my own efficiency, it's about time for corporate evaluations, this is my opportunity to build a better State, a better home. She won't wait for me forever..." Aitoyo's thoughts traced through the passageways of his mind as he buttoned his uniform and stood before the mirror for a self-evaluation. "Appearance is the first quality of merit."

The streets were busy, as usual, Sukuuvestaa Employees all dressed in uniform heading their various ways to fulfill their duties and play their part. Clean energy vehicles interrupted the low murmur of chatter with the hum of their engines as they passed by while holovids on the taller buildings and streetside projectors continued to discuss corporate advancements and proclaim each new step toward the realization of a better State.

Aitoyo walked his way to the record keeping facility where he did his duty. Today he would propose his new record organization and filing initiative, which should increase the speed at which market transactions and pricing could be accessed and categorized, increasing the overall speed and accuracy of pricing estimates. If it worked, Sukuuvestaa could always be selling and buying at the latest possible prices, allowing a greater income as it controlled the latest market activity. Today is his day, the day for a better State, a better home.

--==[X]==--

The walk home in the evening was always quieter than the walk in the morning, but today it was even more quiet. Aitoyo's filing initiative had not only catastrophically failed, he had corrupted several sections of regional market data in the attempt and cost his corporation several thousand kredits in data recovery and a net four-percent loss in efficiency for its daily operations. Thankfully, his director recognized Aitoyo's past achievements and promised to keep him on board with the company if he agreed to a minor compensation cut for the next three months to make up for the market loss.

A set back, but only a minor one. As he rounded the corner to his corporate home, the streetside projectors began with the evening broadcast. The daily corporate statistics scrolled across the bottom of the screen while a widely smiling Achura female praised the public for their diligence, hard work and contributions to the State of tomorrow. Aitoyo was far too consumed with his own thoughts on what had gone wrong to catch the entire broadcast as he often did, his thoughts being interrupted only by him reaching his home door and searching for his door key card.

"...your contributions today will lead to the betterment of tomorrow. Be proud of your work today and remember; you are the ones building a better State, a better home."

Aitoyo sat down over his usual bowl of Kataii Noodles and pondered tomorrow's work load. Data recovery, refiling and backup in addition to his usual duty of archiving market transactions and pricing. It would be a heavy day of labor but he still had a career, still had a home, still had a future. She'd have to wait a little longer before they could start a family, but deep in his heart he knew that he was working for a better State, a better home.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2012, 08:57 by Malcolm Khross »

Malcolm Khross

Re: [Chronicle]A Better State, A Better Home
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:58 »

Probably not great, but it's my first attempt at writing something akin to a chronicle. It's basically just a show of the daily life a Sukuuvestaa Employee in the State, the struggle to make each day a better day than yesterday and to try and distinguish oneself from one's peers.

I basically try to focus on the daily indoctrination that occurs as part of every day life and how it would affect the mindset and behavior of the people living in the State. I hope it's at least enjoyable as a read and feedback is welcome.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2012, 08:09 »

Came expecting a new chron, got MalFiction instead. Not in the least disappointed.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2012, 08:56 »

Came expecting a new chron, got MalFiction instead. Not in the least disappointed.

Hm, probably should change the title then. Wasn't sure how to title it. Also, glad you weren't disappointed!

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2012, 10:29 »

Hm, probably should change the title then. Wasn't sure how to title it. Also, glad you weren't disappointed!
It might not be an "official" chron but the quality is definitely there.

You should post this on the EVE fiction forum so more people can read it because this was good.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
Re: [Fiction]A Better State, A Better Home
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:59 »

I think its a excellent short story and I enjoyed reading it.  Write more!   :)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2012, 15:01 »

Enjoyed.  Would read again.

A series of 'day in the life' shorts perhaps?

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2012, 15:56 »

Wow, thanks guys. I'll consider writing more then. I might do a "day in the life of" for each political bloc in the State and I have a few ideas for Amarrians and Gallente too.

I'll need to do some research on Minmatar before I'd feel comfortable writing anything for them.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2012, 17:25 »

Three thumbs up!

Serendipitous Echo

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:03 »

Three thumbs up!
I second this- wait, what?

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2012, 10:37 »

A wild mutant Hamish appears!

(Liek story!)
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Desiderya

« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2012, 04:54 »

As usual, late to the party.
I read it and I like it. Don't just consider writing more, do it!  :lol: