Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that "Operation Trinity Vanguard" was the code name for the defense of the Incursions in Anyed, Antem and Imya. The Anti-Incursion fleets contisted over 800 pilots from CVA, KotMC, Moira., Star Fraction, FCORD, SYNE Coalition and countless other corps and alliances.

Author Topic: Unusual RP Angles: Blood Raider Edition  (Read 4118 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Unusual RP Angles: Blood Raider Edition
« on: 26 Apr 2010, 15:20 »

Inspired by Cia's 'Thinking about factions...' thread.

It's a big cluster, out there. Even within the most insular of large-scale factions there is room for mind-boggling variation. In that spirit, let's discuss some unusual and/or original or just different approaches/backgrounds/angles to RP for the Blood Raider (or more broadly, Sani Sabik).

I'll get my thoughts on it up when I have a little more time!  :D

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Unusual RP Angles: Blood Raider Edition
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2010, 15:38 »

Well, you could RP a grandma who bakes delicious cookies, a la The Burning Life.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2010, 08:48 »

Blood Raiders are probably THE most commonly emulated pirate faction in the game. Although, most of them aren't religious (or Amarr), their philosophy for sowing chaos and disorder is a natural theme amongst many capsuleers in general (without even knowing it). GogoYubari (intaki separatist, raider), Kai Zion (scientist), Leon026 (fighter pilot), Revan Neferis (Sani Sabik cultist) were just a small sample of how really varied you can get with this faction.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2010, 11:35 »

burning life seems kind of to have put everything into a box.

sani sabik do X. blood raiders get theology training and stuff, etc. etc.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2010, 11:37 »

I felt the opposite when I read it, trying to point out that the factions are composed of real, frail, variable human beings rather than "space vampires" and "space zombies".

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2010, 11:42 »

I mean like, it says that the blood raiders seem to be really rather fanatic and devout about things, which kind of makes some of what Kaleigh was saying there, about the religious thing, a bit on wobbly ground, i thought.
\o/

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:05 »

Kretin is still a Sani Sabik follower, but these days he is planetbound meditating about his own superiority. In fact, he thinks that he is better than everybody else and he does not even have to prove it. He distance himself far from the dealings of the Blood Raiders and look at them with disgust. Disgust because they are unable to become immortals and their smearing of blood everywhere is like children acting out when things does not go the way they want it. Whenever he sees a Sani Sabik capsuleer mimicking the raiders, he is quick to remind them that they are going a step below their class and instead of wasting their time with activities meant for inferior beings they should step up to their rightful position.

Kretin practices Sani Sabik as a personal thing because it confirms him is his belief of his own greatness, not because he needs an excuse to commit wanton acts of destruction and mayhem.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:22 »

Louella, have you read it? If so, why do you feel TBL presents factions so categorically? If not, what drives your opinion?

I'm just really curious because I felt like it went in a different direction. :)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:38 »

Louella, have you read it? If so, why do you feel TBL presents factions so categorically? If not, what drives your opinion?

I'm just really curious because I felt like it went in a different direction. :)

Read it yes.

I mean like, how, the sani sabik characters, frequently make mention of The Red God, and such. In their thoughts too.
which to me, says they're pretty religious. and then makes being a non-believer supporter of the blood raiders a bit hard for me to get a handle on.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2010, 12:44 »

Well, I can't speak for Kayleigh of course, so I'm actually more curious now about the statement that "most of [the Blood Raiders] aren't religious". That doesn't jibe with the IG description of the faction:

The Blood Raider Covenant is a particularly gruesome sect of the generally reviled Sani Sabik cult. While all modern Sani Sabik rituals use blood in some manner or another, the Covenant places particular value on the blood of cloned humans, and is utterly ruthless in obtaining it, regularly boarding other spacecraft and abducting all aboard. From their base in Delve they launch lightning raiding parties and surprisingly well co-ordinated incursions deep into Empire space in pursuit of their goals.

I'd love to know if we have additional info that paints a different picture.

Now, of course one could surmise that they have folks with internal doubts, as in any religious community. Human nature, and all that.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2010, 13:31 »

I was referring to the player base, which is much more liberal in interpreting the raiders. For instance, a majority of raiders were represented by non-amarr and on the whole espoused a darwinist mindset without the religious aspect.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2010, 13:41 »

I was referring to the player base, which is much more liberal in interpreting the raiders. For instance, a majority of raiders were represented by non-amarr and on the whole espoused a darwinist mindset without the religious aspect.

this bit, with the religious aspect, is what I find a bit hard to get a handle on.

non-amarr are fine, it's in the description of Sahtogas, the bit from the apocryphon (which is afaik the only sani sabik/blood raider scripture CCP have put out), about how all who believe are the chosen and stuff.
But how to make that work without religion? I find this hard.
\o/

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2010, 19:27 »

Well, I think it is plenty possible for people who are just after power to use religion to those ends. I think the Sani Sabik faith is particularly conducive to both that and to fanatics. That isn't to say that there aren't plenty of moderates too.

On the topic, what about Sani Sabik charities? While charity for the sake of helping others doesn't seem in line with their whole thing what about charities for a purpose? As a way of shaping society and culture?

I've this impression that Sani Sabik, and even Blooders, can be subtle when need be. In certain places the link between them and such a charity wouldn't even necessarily need to be hidden, like the Fed. (Well, a direct link to the Blooders, maybe would need to be hidden :P)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2010, 13:15 »

The humanization of the Sani Sabik at the very beginning of TBL leads me to think that, at least on a small scale, they could have lots of local charitable organizations and purposes: soup kitchens for the poor, education for orphans or the economically disadvantaged, etc.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2010, 19:41 »

There might also be a certain amount of separation between Sani Sabik groups. 'Sani Sabik' is probably about as specific as 'Christian' for purposes of indicating a single organization. No doubt some are Blooder fronts (Any info on if the Blooder brand of Sani Sabik is even the most popular?) and some have to deal with people thinking they are fronts, and some might be fronts without most of the involved people having any idea.