Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Author Topic: Well-Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism  (Read 2174 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Well-Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism
« on: 05 Jun 2012, 12:26 »

I saw this article recently and thought it might be of interest to Backstage members who occasionally think about forum moderation, community management, and similar issues.

Well-Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Well-Kept Gardens Die By Pacifism
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2012, 13:13 »

You might find the article on Five Geek Social Fallacies interesting. GSF1, "Ostracizers Are Evil", is something that's been on my mind a lot in EVE.

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2012, 14:37 by Matariki Rain »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2012, 13:20 »

I find myself in total agreement with the article posted.  Entirely so.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2012, 14:16 »

I think policing has to scale. Small communities, if they are communities, will probably be self-moderating. Larger communities will start to get a lower signal-to-noise ratio as they grow and will need more active intervention to continue running smoothly. The real trick is knowing when you need to start scaling up moderation: too much too soon will kill it stone dead as quickly as not intervening.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jun 2012, 02:28 »

I, for one, am a supporter of heavy-handed moderation. I have yet to experience a case where too much moderation caused me to leave a forum, while sprawling idiocy often has caused me to move on.

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2012, 06:26 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jun 2012, 05:26 »

+1 for increasing the crown's authority.

More seriously, I cam glad to find people thinking the same on that matter, for once.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 06 Jun 2012, 05:45 »

You might find the article on Five Geek Social Fallacies interesting. GSF1, "Ostrasizers Are Evil", is something that's been on my mind a lot in EVE.

Very true in eve. You put the finger on one of the things that has always bothered me in RP especially, GSF2 and 3 in particular. Always putting my ideals before any loyalty, ICly or OOCly, I am almost always confronted to that kind of thing.

Jev North

« Reply #7 on: 06 Jun 2012, 07:22 »

I've been a part of a seriously dysfunctional community or three - NWN PWs, mostly. Many of them favor a style of gameplay where it's easy to invest a lot of time and feeling into the game, especially early on, before you notice you're sharing a server with people you just can't get along with at all.

A group of people who are basically incompatible but are staying together out of little more than shared addiction is as toxic as it gets, I've found. Utterly weird rules and customs spring up in a sort of immune response to the dysfunction; cliques and factions spring up like mushrooms after rain; crazy psychodrama is the order of the day, because no matter what silly stuff happens, someone'll be trying to make it into a stick to beat the people involved with.

Realizing what was happening, and that I could simply choose to step away from it all, not participate, and come out ahead was actually a major step for me.

So, all this public wound-draining to say - yay, Backstage. Trust me, simply owning up to the occasional incompatibility is a good thing. An occasional wrist-slap or ban leaves all parties better off in the long run.

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jun 2012, 07:29 »

Can't agree more to the linked articles.
The kind of moderation we have here is a main selling point of this board/community for me.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jun 2012, 00:18 »

All for heavy moderation.  Thanks for the work the moderators have done in this site.  Its kept it viable.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jun 2012, 04:19 »

One thing I do like about the moderation here is the provision of a place to discuss it and the catacombs, so you can see why a post got pulled and take note in your own behaviour.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2012, 14:09 »

I think something that has helped Backstage is clear rules established at the beginning.

Some members of the forum may not realize it, but Backstage's staff got to watch a more laissez-faire forum burn.   They had the benefit of seeing the problems it went through before creating the rules here.