Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Cyber Knights  (Read 22362 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Cyber Knights
« on: 07 May 2012, 14:50 »

In going through some of the old posts on ye olde KotMC forums, I found a little post made ages ago:

Cyber Knights:
The Cyber Knights are a form of military nobility in the Amarr Empire who's martial practices originate from the Khanid Kingdom. These warriors come from wealthy noble families that formed elite brotherhoods with highly ritualized warrior codes. Most of these knightly orders are at least centuries old.

It is common for cyber knights to begin their training at a very young age. Such conditioning is comparable to the Subigo Houses that produce the fearsome Kameira infantry that serve in the Imperial Army. While there are similarities between the two, the vastly better social standing of Cyber Knights in the higher castes of Amarr Society places them at a much higher place in the military hierarchy than mere elite infantry.

To stay competitive in a modern world filled with deadly technology the Cyber Knight resorts to extensive body enhancement. The advanced knowledge of cyber-implants possessed by the Amarrians has been exceptionally useful in this regard. Some Amarrians still seek to excel in melee combat while the more progressive ones seek to become masters of modern warfare.

Since the appearance of capsuleers there has been a notable rise in the number of Amarrian knightly orders. The competition-driven and battle-hungry nature of these demi-gods seems a perfect match, especially with their access to some of the most advanced cybernetics and cloning technology.

I'm not entirely sure who wrote it, but that image is courtesy of Lucius Vindictus' photoshop skillz!

So anyway, this got me thinking. CCP has yet to touch upon the subject of cyber knights at all in their canon, besides the initial blurb in the Khanid bloodline thing. However, a great many RP'ers have taken the idea and run away with it, forming their own ideas on just how swords and honor can fit into the EVE universe. I know I certainly have.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 16:46 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Cyber Knights
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 15:37 »

Kai Leng from Mass Effect 3 comes quickly to mind.

spoilers just in case you haven't played the game, but I'm seeing two shades of Khanid Cyberknights. Kai Leng infiltrator/assassin types, and the heavy / front line soldier types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5p5UwEEAWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9NHEMUSfU4

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 15:50 »

Just because they are knights it doesn't follow that they will be using swords in an era of advanced laser technology.

In fact, being a capsuleer could be thought of as the ultimate current expression of the cyber knight ideal.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012, 15:51 »

Absolutely right, but ninja cyborgs wrecking people has a coolness all it's own ;)

Publius Valerius

« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 16:29 »

[/quote]

Nice pic.... It love the hoody (I like the more corner hoody) and the amor as whole (the colors are fitting).

Absolutely right, but ninja cyborgs wrecking people has a coolness all it's own ;)

It sure has :) ...Maybe the sword would be some sort of finale weapon (so like Arnulf said, no real use)... some sort of ritual, which you have to follow to reclaim souls..... like if you kill someone with a sword... he finds god.... some sort of "respect our enemy" thing. :P
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 16:30 by Publius Valerius »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2012, 16:33 »

The CCP description explicitly states that "some Khanid still aim to excel in physical combat, while the more progressive ones seek to become masters of modern warfare," physical suggesting hand-to-hand melee warfare. The statment also suggests a huge amount of variance between individual cyber knights/cyber knight orders. Knowing the Amarrian tendency towards tradition over common-sense practicality, I really have no doubt in my mind that a huge reason behind many cyber knights' heavy implantation is specifically so that traditional methods of combat can still be employed on a battlefield. There is also very likely to be a massive amount of mixing as well. I give you an example of a weapon (from Warhammer 40,000, no less) to illustrate this:

This guy is holding a halberd-like weapon. With a freakin' gun infused with the shaft. He also holds a shield, which I'm sure is able to deflect a huge amount of small arms fire. Heavy armor/rather creative devices would be needed just so a cyber knight would have the chance to get into melee with an opposing force anyway. This very fact opens things up for quite a lot of creativity.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 16:46 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Desiderya

« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2012, 16:42 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWnuxLbc34

There, at 1:04 is something that springs to mind if you're not thinking assassin.  :D

Cyberknight may come in many forms. Basically we're talking about 'augmented humans' with the intention of improving skills in battle. I guess the "knight" part comes second and might be different depending on which order or group you're going to serve in.
After all, the whole idea of knighthood is more or less just a chivalrous concept, which looked very different in reality. So I wouldn't automatically think that an EVE version would be much different.
And since skill in battle is relative, too, capsuleers could be considered similar. They're augmented for a very distinct purpose - skill in spaceship ( battle ).

Publius Valerius

« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2012, 16:51 »

Ehm... nice idea... but I wouldnt go that way (just meant for this post)... because EVE canon isnt so much fantasy (ghost poster was faster)

Why I mention fantasy?.... It is how can I put this.... It is alomst a "natural law"/scientific law that militarys are in equipment and weapons most of the time forward working.... It comes from the pressure of reality... that you cannt field some "awesome warriors" with some old school weapons like the old schah from persia... which had love in the 70s all the antic stuff like shields and chariotry, but in the military isnt any use of them..... So what happend, they become some toysoldiars for parades. On the other hand the "military"/"high command" had always pressure the Schah and the USA, to get the "best"/"up to date" equipment and weapons (from the US).

Thats why many solars in the 70s thought.... military regime would be more likely to be modern/advance their countrys... and would be in the longrun more stabil and leadtheir nations in the end to democracys etc.. (like RoC, aka Taiwan).

Of course this Idea is since the mid and late 70s more or less toast/falsified tru reality (again reality, bad reality :P).... but still... the rule is: A military which isnt up to date is more likely to loss; so the internal pressure for modernisation is in the military itself still working.... (but not for society as whole).

Thats why I think... or lets say.... I love your Idea, but also think it doesnt fit for EVE. If you dont want a "toy army"/parade army" - or play as RP as one Toywarrior.

I would go with some culture excuses, why you fit the old weapon...

Still overall I love this Idea.... rock it (maybe I add in my little story a section than about the cyperknights/cyperninjas. It would awesome :)
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 17:02 by Publius Valerius »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2012, 17:05 »

Lemme just post some pictures... I was saving these for something special, but...

Do really none of these look like they could happen in EVE?

Publius Valerius

« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2012, 17:15 »

1 sure... some tradional acedamy.... I can see that.
2 maybe.... but like something what I think on the EU stuff... Why than make not everything out of this awesome sword material.
3 I dont know.... I looks a little like one of those mobs/beast in this awful grind mmos.  :P Just joking. But in reality.... just take a imperior and kill it/or land with imperor on it.... so it would be again more a ritual thing.
4 I love it... because its a chick :P ... I can see that she ..like I said use the weapon for some final ritual.
5 Again.... some ritual thing.... this time with some tradinal clothes... which have to be use for the ritual......

But that is just my 50 Cent..... like I said.... It can fit... and it is a really welcome addition.... but I wouldnt sell it as some valid suff.... I would play.. like normal, but add for example to the Dust stuff some tradional and ritual flaws.

« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 17:20 by Publius Valerius »

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2012, 17:48 »

The CCP description explicitly states that "some Khanid still aim to excel in physical combat, while the more progressive ones seek to become masters of modern warfare,"

When I took that line and ran with it when doing some character background design (it's probably best not to ask), I went down the path of 'modern warfare is fought as much within the enemy's government and board rooms as it is the battlefield'.  I imagine(d) some cyber Knights -- and by extension, their Kameira -- as being more like The Operative in Serenity (or River Tam, for that matter) than someone in power armor.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2012, 17:56 »

People like playing the space marine badass fantasy type, hm? Heh.

Never really paid attention to it myself. Too much Mary Sue "I r awesum" to it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2012, 17:56 »

Eve is wide and vast, and there is room for many visions.  #4 is ace, by the way.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2012, 18:10 »

Val is of cyberknight stock and with him I try to play him as honourable and chivalric in an old school way. While he shows a keen interest in the ladies, he tries to protect those who need protection (like Kat) and plays the ardent lover to others (heh.) His Romeo-like proclaimations are part of his chivalric mindset.

He also challenges people to single combat from time-to-time and is always happy to accept challenges.

As for a sword-wielding badass out of the pod, that had never really occured to me, but I suppose that's pretty cool.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2012, 18:50 »

Forgot one   ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7