Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Factional channels  (Read 2965 times)

Desiderya

Factional channels
« on: 04 May 2012, 07:50 »

Hey all,

In the recent discussions here about RP and the tendency to happen 'hidden' in smaller circles I've thought about possibilities to unravel that issue a bit.
One thing are factional channels such as heiian college, which are (at least in heiian's case) hardly used. If there's an interest we could think about restarting them, advertising them a bit and, of course, using those. Heiian college is not supposed to be a general chat channel, so new ones might be in order, more about that in a minute.

The second thing is that there are no places where you'd inevitably run into each other, therefore every interaction is entirely voluntary, which does not fit every character. There are some places where most of us go, such as the four trade hubs. Would a channel for Jita, Rens, Amarr and Dodixie would get used? It could take the form of a SCC lobby in the capsuleer area of the stations. You'd connect to the channel if you're character is really there - or you're handwaving shopping in empire space to shopping at the main trade hub - and you're interested in possibly running into others.

A similar approach could be made to factional channels, you'd connect to it when you're in said empire's space or if you're feeling attached to said faction. That would be a com's channel, of course.

I know, I know, :effort:, but it might lead to RP between characters who'd not meet in, say, one of the capsuleer bars.
The factional channels might be unnecessary since it could theoretically be played out via established means such as the Summit and there might be a small amount of topics that would be discussed in an intra-faction/faction space medium.
However, more non-specific places are probably most important.

TL;DR:
Would there be interest in factional coms channels where membership is not for loyalists but also open for interested travellers in that area?
Would there be interest in physical locations in the trade hub station with membership based on 'being there'?
Reasoning: Making RPers more visible, promoting more RP opportunities between the various groups/circles without creating a Summit V2.

Lyn Farel

Re: Factional channels
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2012, 08:24 »

Would there be interest in factional coms channels where membership is not for loyalists but also open for interested travellers in that area?

Definitly. And such channels already exist as far as I am aware. They are just not used anymore for some.

Caldari : Heiian College
Gallente : Gallente Lounge, that might be a little centered around Federal Consensus though, but is active (and the old Crux Agora that is totally dead)
Minmatar : Circle of Tribes ? I don't know
Amarr : Amarr Legio Basilica (that can also be a physical location as well as holo communication)

Would there be interest in physical locations in the trade hub station with membership based on 'being there'?

As much as it is always good to have nice places to stumble across enemies and all, this would not work for me at least. I am mostly a "channel lurker" and remain connected in all the RP channels that I am used to play on. Too much hassle for me to remember to connect and disconnect from every of these physical channels every time i get into a hub. I know that I will never really manage to make it work for me.

I just want new famous places like Mercy's Keep was in its time. People loved to come here because it was a continuous source of RP to have. vOv

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2012, 08:41 »

We RP in the in-game Sansha's Nation faction channel.  It leads to hilarious results with the non-RPers who come in there to talk about running Incursions.

We've thrown around 'You Monster!!!' before.  It's pretty funny.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2012, 08:45 »

The idea about the trade hub thing would be a neutral spot where capsuleers would simply show up on their day - to - day activities, not going to a specific place with the explicit goal of socializing, since many characters wouldn't show up at said places ( many are owned by factional/criminal entities ) without it feeling a bit constructed.

Of course I could go into the Sansha RP channel, but that wouldn't be random at all. Running into each other while shopping for fresh WMDs would be a different quality, wouldn't it?

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2012, 09:03 »

"Oh, hello Des!  Good to see you.  Oh, I'm just buying some EM Torpedos.  You?  Smartbombs? Brilliant!"
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2012, 09:17 »

"Oh, hello Des!  Good to see you.  Oh, I'm just buying some EM Torpedos.  You?  Smartbombs? Brilliant!"

"Pip, pip, cheerio! /sip /monocle"

I like the idea, but honestly, who willingly stays in Jita long enough to make use of a channel that was located in the 4-4 station? :P

Also, there's the Rens Bazaar channel for Republic space, which is located in the market hub station iirc - I've used that one a couple times and had some fun RP with Cia there. :3
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2012, 10:30 »

Amarr Legio Basilica has long suffered from the fact that it had few (if any)  active moderators, and so any RP there consistently ran the risk of encountering pirates/blooders/Minmatar Militia/other people who A, seriously wouldn't be allowed to wander freely around an Amarr Throne World and B, often interrupted RP with aggressive IC behavior that would get them thrown out if they weren't already.

(Two disclaimers:

One, I am not saying any of the above people shouldn't be aggressive towards Amarrians or saying their RP is "wrong" in any way, but rather that when people step in to a location hosted, themed, and run by the rules of their own faction, they often aren't looking to get into an argument with someone from an 'enemy' faction and the inability to do anything about this was... painful at times.

Two, I'm not arguing the Basilica should be closed to all non-Amarr-loyalists; I think it could do quite well to be an open location visitors as it's very... Amarr-ey. Rather, at times it's hard to rationalize people explicitly at war with the Empire, infamous pirates, etc simply wandering on down to a Throne World on a whim, especially without any kind of "preparatory" RP to explain why the MIO didn't simply snag them on the spot. )

Fortunately, it seems that ABL will be getting a cleanup soonish anyhow, so it may be viable for reasonable RP soon again. In the meantime, I'm going to do some horrible self-promoting and point out that The Peerage's IC public location, Court of Peers, is also open and running and very much welcoming for more RP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Desiderya

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2012, 10:46 »

"Pip, pip, cheerio! /sip /monocle"

That.

About Jita-trading. One might stay longer if there'd be some interesting stuff going on. Aaand since it's a channel you could sneak away and do other stuff that's not necessarily needed to be considered ICly at this precise moment while having a talk. 
Besides as simple as that shopping smalltalk sounds, it'd be still a better place in a rather limited enviroment instead of broadcasting it to the whole of the world ( such as on the Summit ;) ).

As far as factional channels go, I did rather have a coms channel in mind where you can chat/idle in when you're in the region or long for the homeland. Prime objective would be to bring people together who usually won't hang out in the same social places.
Maybe we could make a tally of active IC channels to update this thread?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2012, 10:55 »

Maybe we could make a tally of active IC channels to update this thread?

Both that thread and the corp list are in pretty bad need of an update. I'll try and remember to take a look at them, but no promises if I get distracted. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2012, 17:36 »

I like this idea. I think I've tried similar things (shopping trips to the Crystal Boulevard for instance) in the past. Would be nice to have some similar options.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2012, 02:27 »

How about using the factional channels?

Reclaim them for the God of RP.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2012, 05:34 »

Not a bad idea at all.
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2012, 13:26 »

I remember the good old days when the 'Caldari' 'Amarr' etc channels were player run and moderated - and for the most part were strictly IC and fairly strictly moderated. That's where I first learned there was such a thing as RPing in MMOs.

Anyway, I wonder if there isn't a way to start a set of channels that are IC, com-channel only, and hold that level of simplicity in their design (they're for a particular faction and their sympathizers.)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2012, 13:38 »

Amarr Legio Basilica has long suffered from the fact that it had few (if any)  active moderators, and so any RP there consistently ran the risk of encountering pirates/blooders/Minmatar Militia/other people who A, seriously wouldn't be allowed to wander freely around an Amarr Throne World and B, often interrupted RP with aggressive IC behavior that would get them thrown out if they weren't already.

(Two disclaimers:

One, I am not saying any of the above people shouldn't be aggressive towards Amarrians or saying their RP is "wrong" in any way, but rather that when people step in to a location hosted, themed, and run by the rules of their own faction, they often aren't looking to get into an argument with someone from an 'enemy' faction and the inability to do anything about this was... painful at times.

Two, I'm not arguing the Basilica should be closed to all non-Amarr-loyalists; I think it could do quite well to be an open location visitors as it's very... Amarr-ey. Rather, at times it's hard to rationalize people explicitly at war with the Empire, infamous pirates, etc simply wandering on down to a Throne World on a whim, especially without any kind of "preparatory" RP to explain why the MIO didn't simply snag them on the spot. )

Fortunately, it seems that ABL will be getting a cleanup soonish anyhow, so it may be viable for reasonable RP soon again. In the meantime, I'm going to do some horrible self-promoting and point out that The Peerage's IC public location, Court of Peers, is also open and running and very much welcoming for more RP.

The Amarr Legio Basilica is my channel, and I can hand down modship to some others. I think Esna would be a good start. LET THE HAMMER OF JUSTICE FALL.

However, it should be noted the Basilica is meant to be a place of worship, not a place of meeting. Amarrians take their worship seriously and I can't see people who are not there to offer a prayer or two as having a plausible reason to come. Maybe a new channel should be made?

Not a bad idea at all.

I'd support the pants off of this... except that non-RP'ing trolls can really can ruin the fun. I say we RP'ers do come back to theses channels if only to catch and assimiliate new players who want to get into RP. The Amarr channel is where Leopold grabbed me and took me to the Ordo Quaesitoris way back when.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 14:01 by Aldrith Shutaq »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2012, 14:53 »

A lot of roleplayers could use with a thicker skin.

Race channels are a good way of getting a few rounds in the ring without excess drama that tends to happen in roleplayer only channels.

Also they are a very good way of catching yourself going 'urdoinitwrong'.

The Amarr channel has been a very good tool for me, as a way of learning how to express an Amarrian in a social context. Keeping up appearances, not acting out in public.

Unlike the drive-by RP of local, it is a social venue where whatever you say and do will have consequences.
(It also stealthily teaches you that everything in EVE is RP and can be perceived as IC.)
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 14:57 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: [1] 2