Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Author Topic: 'Like'  (Read 3645 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
'Like'
« on: 27 Apr 2012, 13:00 »

Apologies if this idea has previously been discussed.

Was wondering if it were possible to have a 'like' feature added to the forum.  On the odd occasion that I browse though the forums I tend to come across the odd post that makes for a particularly good read.  I would think it nice to be able express my approval without having to make a 'me too' post.

Thoughts?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: 'Like'
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2012, 13:07 »

I've come across sever forums that have a 'reputation' system, which is basically likes, where you can + or - someone, for their post, as well as giving a reason for doing so. Something like that might be quite good.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2012, 13:28 »

SMF does have support for a karma system, so it's feasible without needing to do any crazy custom coding or anything. I'm pretty sure (though I'd have to double check) that you can set it to only support + and not have the usual +/- style that you see on most boards. IIRC there are mods that allow you to track / add notes to see who has given you "likes" and on what posts.

And hi.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2012, 13:29 by Misan »
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2012, 13:48 »

Yes, because Karma systems doesn't inevitably turn into circle-jerks. Nope. That doesn't happen. You know, except everywhere karma systems have ever been implemented, ever. Of all time. Nooot at all.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2012, 13:27 »

Yes, because Karma systems doesn't inevitably turn into circle-jerks. Nope. That doesn't happen. You know, except everywhere karma systems have ever been implemented, ever. Of all time. Nooot at all.

* Louella Dougans likes this post

anyway:

a mono-axis "like/dislike" isn't really all that useful imo.

example. I write some things, such as the "bhaalgorn under the bed" and the "hilaban academy" stories. People are amused, they +1 like those things.

however, that does not necessarily mean anything else I write is good. E.g. opinions about game mechanics, or whatever.

Not sure, but a multi-axis thing with "humorousness", "usefulness", "thought-provoking", etc. would be better, I think.

I mean, I write some amusing things, but not so much thought provoking. Different people write differently.
\o/

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2012, 08:30 »

I can has Dislike?

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2012, 16:42 »

Like systems tend to work well. Seeing little 'likes' by their post means people who offer quality content are more likely to post.

Like/dislike systems can be a bit more problematic.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2012, 18:21 »

Depends where. On the IGS for example (only forum I read on the official forums anyway), that like system does not mean anything. And it certainly does not point out the quality content, but more "you are my buddy and i like you so i give you a like tee-hee". Sure, some people do add likes for quality content, but they are a minority. After quite some time it even starts to get amusing to guess who offered the likes to who, and why it was "liked". Often it is witty comments for the sake of being witty (and thus, often cheesy and clunky like hell), and often it is just about demagogy. Demagogy on the IGS works very well to get a lot of likes. Like, sometimes, stating the obvious.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2012, 10:46 »

* Louella Dougans likes this post

anyway:

a mono-axis "like/dislike" isn't really all that useful imo.

example. I write some things, such as the "bhaalgorn under the bed" and the "hilaban academy" stories. People are amused, they +1 like those things.

however, that does not necessarily mean anything else I write is good. E.g. opinions about game mechanics, or whatever.

Not sure, but a multi-axis thing with "humorousness", "usefulness", "thought-provoking", etc. would be better, I think.

I mean, I write some amusing things, but not so much thought provoking. Different people write differently.

Ravelry has something like that, they have tags you can add to a post for Educational, funny, interesting, agree, disagree, and love. Something like that would probably be a better option then simple like/dislike
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2012, 11:11 »

This wasn't a circle-jerk already? *ponders*

A +/- system is better than repeating the same commentary over and over again. If I agree with a point now, all I can do is post to nod my consent rather than clicking a button. I notice in the particularly controversial topics repetition happens quite frequently.

I wouldn't mind the addition, although I am curious how it is implemented in a forum like this.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2012, 12:44 »

* Graelyn wants a circle-jerk. :(

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!