Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That crews from destroyed capsuleer ships make up a substantial part of Blood Raider harvests? (The Burning Life, p. 59)

Author Topic: What is the point ?  (Read 1175 times)

Lyn Farel

What is the point ?
« on: 17 Mar 2012, 19:28 »

Hello,

First I would like to say that I always have held the rules of conduct and the moderation on backstage in high esteem and an example of how a forum should be run. Please keep that in mind with what I am going to say next.

So, sometimes I log on on this forum and notice catacombed posts, and think, "fine, moderation is doing its job, etc etc". And usually, pretty well. But sometimes, also, like in this topic, firstly, I see people behaving like retarded animals insulting each other, but fine by me, you can look like stupid uneducated people as much as you want and think in the same way that I am a lecturing asshole on his moral high horse, but this is not the point anyway. What annoys me is that I read things like this : "I've provided my opinion and this tread will be locked and catacomb'ed soon enough, I'll leave it at this;"  to conclude good aggressive or insulting post obviously breaking the rules, so I naturally start to wonder what is the point of moderating people and sending trolls, flameposts and other crap in the catacombs if there is no further punishement for it ? This kind of answer is exactly the proof that people do not care anymore. They eventually think "Ok, I have to tell to this moron how stupid he is or how stupid his ways are, but I will break the rules and be moderated to the catacombs... but who cares ? I risk nothing much so lets do it and I will get away with it." Be the person right in what he thinks or not, thats not the problem : the problem is that people tend to answer to trolls by more troll and aggressive posts, thinking they are in their right just because they are answering to a troll to point out loudly that he is a troll and thus a moron, not even caring anymore about the report button because after all, they risk nothing else than just a catacombed post. Moreover, a catacombed post is still visible and they perfectly know that the aggressive message has been sent anyway, be it moderated or not. I find it highly unhealthy and it supports tensions.

Eventually, this kind of things just makes me think that all this moderation is at times a joke that gets useless in the end because the worst people can get out of is a tap on the fingers, so they do not care anymore when they really have something rude to say. This is just wrong. I would like to see people not using the report button and replying with more shitstorm to get harsher punishement than the OP troll, if this is the only thing that works.

Or maybe it is me that got all wrong or just do mountains of unsignificant things, so please dismiss this post if this is the case...  :bash:

Late edit : ok, you can also point me out that actually punishing or banning people for that would mean that the RP community would come out of members pretty fast, so well, you got a point, but that would explain a lot of (worrying) things.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2012, 19:33 by Lyn Farel »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: What is the point ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2012, 21:59 »

A decision was made early on that formal warnings to individuals wouldn't be made public. That sometimes makes it so that you don't always see the full extent of moderator action in a particular case.

Also, locking this thread, because regardless of what you think about their behavior, it's still against the rules to insult other members.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2012, 22:01 by Silver Night »