Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Cause and Effect  (Read 14355 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Cause and Effect
« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:55 »

Then why are they referred to as lynchpin aspects of the character?

Where? By who?

I'd like to know this too. I can't recall hearing anything about this, other than the notion that romances have effect on the story, much like other choices. That however is something I've been told and not tried so I would not know if it's true.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:47 »

...I hate you all.  Now I'm twitchy and annoyed that I don't have ME available to me here.  I do have ME2, but now I really want to go from scratch again...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #47 on: 20 Feb 2012, 14:53 »

Jesus... I'd forgotten how grimdark they went at times during ME2 and it's DLCs. Anyone here done the Project Overlord DLC lately? Masterful production.

[spoiler]How ridiculously unnerving the howls and screams of the "VI" is as you explore the three bases and how sickening the truth of it all is in the end. Delicious delicious delicious DLC.[/spoiler]

Lyn Farel

« Reply #48 on: 20 Feb 2012, 14:59 »

I love the atmosphere in Overlord (and the music for once), but it was a little too much of drama for the sake of drama to my taste. The setting was still interesting though, and quite grim yeah.

None of my play-throughs of ME or ME2 ever involved any romance, at all. I've not even bothered to roll a maleShep for the sake of romancing a woman none ever see, and I like said woman very, very much.

I have never played a maleShep just for the sake of virtually getting laid with a NPC...

And neither have I. However the fact that Tali is one of the romance options for maleShep was to me, a bit weird and a bit tempting at the same time - Think about it - Quarians can't even spend time with each other without suits because their immune systems can barely handle it when they are synchronized together in a contained environment, so how the hell do they practically romance anyone else?

While I'm not sure on the details atm (don't recall all of it anymore, been a while since I played ME/ME2) it's an interesting question. And Tali is a bad-ass character that puts Krogan to shame - Charging into battle with a shotgun when suit-rupture is more hazardous to you than most other factors? Bad-ass, and a bit suicidal.

So because I like her character, rolling a maleShep to see how the romance option goes is always mildly tempting, also due the fact any romancing adds more variables to the 'what did you do and how did it turn out' part of the game. It hasn't happened yet for a variety of reasons, one of them being, that I agree on Lallara's opinion.

[romance spoilers following]
[spoiler]
Tali is the best romance available imo. Close one with Jack though. Yes, I may be a bit fucked up (especially regarding Jack), but they are actually the deepest ones you can find : Miranda is just a big-boobs fan-service bitch that ends up screwed in the elevator from what I have seen, no clue at all how you can romance Samara, Morinth is just lolcrazy hedonistic (and lolethal)... As for femShep, Jacob is Miranda's mirror testosterone absurd sex occasion on the boat (oooh look at my V shaped chest and all my muscles zomg), Garrus is just a one-night try (he admits that he is not particularily attracted to humans), though I have no clue at all how it is for Thane (might be good actually, but probably very awkward...). As for ME1, it was a little better, though that was not awesome either. A bit dull/cliché, but fun and in the B-series spirit of the game.

So yes, Tali, even if they spend their time speaking about how its dangerous and all for quarians to have flesh relations (even with their own species) and how to deal with it, and Jack because it is actually her fucked up mind that is interesting to soften in that romance. She ends up crying in the love scene at the end, which you may not be expecting as a player.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012, 15:02 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2012, 15:19 »

I love the atmosphere in Overlord (and the music for once), but it was a little too much of drama for the sake of drama to my taste. The setting was still interesting though, and quite grim yeah.

None of my play-throughs of ME or ME2 ever involved any romance, at all. I've not even bothered to roll a maleShep for the sake of romancing a woman none ever see, and I like said woman very, very much.

I have never played a maleShep just for the sake of virtually getting laid with a NPC...

And neither have I. However the fact that Tali is one of the romance options for maleShep was to me, a bit weird and a bit tempting at the same time - Think about it - Quarians can't even spend time with each other without suits because their immune systems can barely handle it when they are synchronized together in a contained environment, so how the hell do they practically romance anyone else?

While I'm not sure on the details atm (don't recall all of it anymore, been a while since I played ME/ME2) it's an interesting question. And Tali is a bad-ass character that puts Krogan to shame - Charging into battle with a shotgun when suit-rupture is more hazardous to you than most other factors? Bad-ass, and a bit suicidal.

So because I like her character, rolling a maleShep to see how the romance option goes is always mildly tempting, also due the fact any romancing adds more variables to the 'what did you do and how did it turn out' part of the game. It hasn't happened yet for a variety of reasons, one of them being, that I agree on Lallara's opinion.

[romance spoilers following]
[spoiler]
Tali is the best romance available imo. Close one with Jack though. Yes, I may be a bit fucked up (especially regarding Jack), but they are actually the deepest ones you can find : Miranda is just a big-boobs fan-service bitch that ends up screwed in the elevator from what I have seen, no clue at all how you can romance Samara, Morinth is just lolcrazy hedonistic (and lolethal)... As for femShep, Jacob is Miranda's mirror testosterone absurd sex occasion on the boat (oooh look at my V shaped chest and all my muscles zomg), Garrus is just a one-night try (he admits that he is not particularily attracted to humans), though I have no clue at all how it is for Thane (might be good actually, but probably very awkward...). As for ME1, it was a little better, though that was not awesome either. A bit dull/cliché, but fun and in the B-series spirit of the game.

So yes, Tali, even if they spend their time speaking about how its dangerous and all for quarians to have flesh relations (even with their own species) and how to deal with it, and Jack because it is actually her fucked up mind that is interesting to soften in that romance. She ends up crying in the love scene at the end, which you may not be expecting as a player.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Haven't checked Jack out myself, (My own Maleshep went with Tali) but from what you're saying she sounds interesting. Thane's romance is very interesting as well, I found. As a dying man who suddenly discovers he finds someone else to connect with, love and desire and that it is reciprocated... well, it's emotional when Shepard and Thane face their inevitable loss and his inevitable death yet tries to eek out some joy between them. He is a very interesting character and one of the better romances I've seen yet.[/spoiler]

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2012, 15:40 »

there were xenobewbs in mass effect 1. mostly blue ones.
\o/

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2012, 20:01 »

Love Garrus: "So, uh, your hair looks good, and your waist is....very supportive..."

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2012, 16:40 »

So are people going to use Origin for ME3? I am trying to find another way.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #53 on: 22 Feb 2012, 02:35 »

So are people going to use Origin for ME3? I am trying to find another way.

Just looked into this. Kinda pleased my wallet doesn't have to suffer the day ME3 comes out now.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2012, 07:18 »

...my computer was trying to hide them.  Both MEs are still installed and ready for action.

*cracks knuckles*  Reports shall be forthcoming...

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2012, 08:51 »

My great replay through has so far gone without any romance plans, and quite frankly I'm not sure if my Shep will romance anyone (excluding the obvious Male Shep/Garrus Bromance)

However the new look Ashley in ME3 makes me  :bash: to the point where I'm tempted to leave her ass on Virmire. This is the character who in ME1 goes on about the Williams family being tough, even the females, and how they're trying to restore their family's honour and respect. Then next thing you know she's tarted up to the 9's, probably because she got jelly when she saw you with Miranda on Horizon.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Jev North

« Reply #56 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:04 »

Know what annoyed me about ME2?

The Illusive Man.

The name just seems plain wrong. I just can't shake the feeling that at one point, a conversation much like..

"Hey, Bob, about this Illusive Man character of yours.. didn't you mean Elusive Man? As in, hard to catch, not actually good with stage magic?"

"Eerm, um.. nono, that's wholly intentional! He's called the Illusive Man because.. he.. does a lot of stuff with illusions! Also he may be imaginary. Yeah. Or we'd need to change the spelling on about half a million localized strings and other assets at this point.  And redo about a quarter of the voice work. Not that it's wrong! Because I totally meant to use that word."

..occurred somewhere in the Bioware headquarters.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:16 »

However the new look Ashley in ME3 makes me  :bash: to the point where I'm tempted to leave her ass on Virmire. This is the character who in ME1 goes on about the Williams family being tough, even the females, and how they're trying to restore their family's honour and respect. Then next thing you know she's tarted up to the 9's, probably because she got jelly when she saw you with Miranda on Horizon.

D: 

Why did they do that to her?  Any girl who quotes Tennyson and snipers any alien who backtalks you is a woman after my own heart...but...her new portrait is....not so good. 

Edit: the new Ashley Williams = if Sandra Bullock starred in those godawful starship trooper movies
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012, 09:29 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #58 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:24 »

The Illusive Man.

The name just seems plain wrong. I just can't shake the feeling that at one point, a conversation much like..

"Hey, Bob, about this Illusive Man character of yours.. didn't you mean Elusive Man? As in, hard to catch, not actually good with stage magic?"

"Eerm, um.. nono, that's wholly intentional! He's called the Illusive Man because.. he.. does a lot of stuff with illusions! Also he may be imaginary. Yeah. Or we'd need to change the spelling on about half a million localized strings and other assets at this point.  And redo about a quarter of the voice work. Not that it's wrong! Because I totally meant to use that word."

You're thinking of "elusive" - tending to elude pursuit, difficult to capture.

He's "illusive" - based on, or having a tendency to, send people on suicide missions for reasons they don't understand.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2012, 10:32 by Senn Typhos »
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Random Sentience

« Reply #59 on: 22 Feb 2012, 11:08 »

The Illusive Man.

You're thinking of "elusive" - tending to elude pursuit, difficult to capture.

He's "illusive" - based on, or having a tendency to, send people on suicide missions for reasons they don't understand.
illusive - based on or having the nature of an illusion; "illusive hopes of finding a better job"; "Secret activities offer presidents the alluring but often illusory promise that they can achieve foreign policy goals without the bothersome debate and open decision that are staples of democracy"

Reasons why the name makes more sense than you think:
A. It was a name given by the Alliance, and it stuck.
B. It makes sense given some of the tie ins.
C. I'm sure it will all make sense after ME3 comes out.  :yar:
D. His eyes glow for a reason.  ;)
E.
[spoiler]Ashley and the Alliance are partially correct.  :twisted:[/spoiler]

Still wondering if what Admiral Kohaku(sp) said in regards to Cerberus is still canon;
[spoiler]That they were an Alliance black ops group that went rogue.[/spoiler]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8