Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Achura has been part of the State for three centuries? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The News!  (Read 6666 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
The News!
« on: 26 Dec 2011, 12:40 »

"The Scope", I.e. That thing that appeared on the side as you log in and when you click on the news board, is stone cold dead.

You know it, I know it, your second cousin twice removed knows it.

Not only have they stopped giving us snippets of life in the Eve universe, but they now advertise large scale ooc events oocly, blowing the concept that everything in the big blue yonder is ic clean out of the water. (although I do concede that I don't know if this has happened before). I am now at the point where I seem to see ic disputes recycled almost weekly. Sure it was fun to talk the talk about slavery, when I was a month old pilot. But now veterans are doing it too, the same points over and over.

Why? Because there has been no single development for over 3 years.

So, brimming with a mixture of emo-teen despair and Viking rage I peruse the IGS when for the first time I actually click on the link to tech4news, and here it is: http://tech4news.org/

In short, I am impressed. Details, current and relevant events, and a delicious sprinkling of controversy. I found myself wanting and needing to read more, rekindling the kind of hope I had when Voyeur studios launched, hope that's still around.

I believe this kind of approach represents the way forward for IC news and hence the future of RP in EVE. Really, it's the only way forward seeing as CCP is either unable or unwilling to develop the backstory we need as the foundation for player created content.

So there's the answer, if you want to keep the fire going, read the Tech 4 News page. Hell, give them some leads to persue, from the looks of that they're good at following up.

Happy flying!

tl;dr The scope is cold turkey. Read tech 4 news! I endorse this product/service  :bear: Also, Voyeur? You guys still around?
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: The News!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2011, 12:56 »

The Scope being dead is not news.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2011, 13:22 »

The Scope being dead is not news.

Well observed. That was part of the point of writing this.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2011, 13:44 »

If people did actually get back to me on things like they said they would, ANN would be a pretty good source for IC fluff/goings-on.
I'm pushing stuff out where I can, but it's not something I can do at any speed all by myself.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2011, 13:45 »

I've considered looking more heavily into, even working at Tech4/ANN (or even starting my own news source) but one thing that has always bugged me about player news sources is that they seem to very often slide into supporting one side or another, and frankly that doesn't appeal to me. If I'm going to write news and not propoganda, I'd very much like to be working for an unbiased (or at least not so obviously biased) news source.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2011, 14:31 »

I don't think there really much danger of bias here, or at least not yet.

I mean let's face it, this whole freedom fighter of the year thing was the result of one over enthusiastic intern, who was subsequently removed from her position

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2011, 14:35 »

Yeah, I do follow T4N and wish them luck in their endeavours, especially considering the mess their first correspondent got into in W-space.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2011, 15:27 »

T4N isn't biased?

Srs?  :lol:

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2011, 15:54 »

Eh, even if there wasn't bias people would still claim it. The question is, in my mind, is it engaging and does it provide some immersion?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2011, 15:58 »

We need much, much more of this sort of thing. Kudos to those taking the time to maintain, update, and contribute.

Arydanika

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2011, 18:54 »

Hello there.  You may not know me, but my name is Arydanika (Dani) and I am part of the team working on the Tech4 News project.  First, thank you to those that have supported the project.  Your support means a lot to us.  This project is a huge undertaking and is a labor of love.  Just like you; all that we write produce, etc is unpaid hardwork and effort used to bring something immersion and wonderful to a game we enjoy playing at some level. 

On the subject of bias I have to say this.  It's hard to any of us to be bias because Tech4 is the first time any of us have moved in to the "RP arena."  Now you may find youself saying, "But Article X is surely Matari sided."  or "That Professor is totally Amarr loving!"  Those things are true, but that does not make Tech4 as a whole bias.

The article about Houla is very one sided.  However, the Matari perspective was the only thing I had to work with.  There was no Amarr side of the story posted, so I had to work with what was posted.  Also, there are some incorrect facts.  :D  Thank you for noticing.  Tech4 is a non-caspsuleer entity and the article was written by a fresh faced intern.  It should also be noted the Intern has been punished for infractions.

That said, I extend an offer you to all. Tech4 news wants to report on player activity.  We want to post RP fluff news reports about side story lines that players find interesting.  The only thing is.. we need your help to do that. 

Lead, tip offs, eve-mails, anonymous phone calls; we accept them all.  If you have some great feat the Amarrian Empire... The Professor is one Empress loving SOB.  Have an interesting tip about some Caldari espionage?  I'm sure the drop/spiced quafe laden Paydas might air it... if you grease his palm right.  Have some bad information that you want to spread because that's just what you do?  The Intern might be naive enough to believe you if the story is convincing. 

So I leave it in your hands Roleplayers of New Eden.  The Tech4 News Tip Line is now open. 

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2011, 19:16 »

Don't take my earlier snark wrong, I'm very happy to see Tech 4 on the scene.

I love their style and the flair of the site, not to mention the twist of "hacked" news, as opposed to ANN's "free source" news. (Just so we're clear, I only compare the two because they're the only player-run IC news sources I know of). So I wish them good luck and hope they keep things running.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2011, 07:24 »

No love for Gutter Press?  :(

Ok absolute lack of fact in all but one articles but I love the concept of trash media, even if the real world version infuriates me.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2011, 08:07 »

No love for Gutter Press?  :(

Ok absolute lack of fact in all but one articles but I love the concept of trash media, even if the real world version infuriates me.

Gutter Press is like Fox News.

It's not "news" and its not "journalism," so when we talk about one of those two things, we can't include those organizations.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2011, 08:14 »

<3 Gutter Press
Pages: [1] 2 3