Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Noble Exchange Markups?  (Read 3712 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Noble Exchange Markups?
« on: 07 Dec 2011, 15:57 »

So, this is one of those thoughts that occurs to a person when they're taking a shower, but after pondering it for a day I think it might have some discussion value...

So, in the NeX store, one can purchase an item for a given Arrum value, which can be sold for an isk value, usually in the multi-hundred-million range, from what the market is showing.

But, if isk is already a currency used to express hilarious amounts of planetary currency, what does that make the shirt you just purchased? A shirt worth the yearly GDP of a planet? Could anyone planetside ever hope to purchase a shirt? Why are these shirts so super-epic (in the opinion of their manufacturers) that no average citizen should ever be able to own one?

Is there some kind of capsuleer markup at work? Since we're expected not to baseline, are customs offices taking advantage of that fact to charge us quintillions of planetary credits in service fees? Has CONCORD established some aberrant customs system to make a fancy shirt prohibitively expensive for planetary citizen and egger alike?

If this has been addressed elsewhere, please lemme know, because I lost a night of sleep pondering this. =_=
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
Re: Noble Exchange Markups?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2011, 16:04 »

Right from that start i just considered it the normals just taking advantage of the general capsuleer stupidity and lack of financial sense. Not that i actually want to involve the Nex and aurum in my IC thinking at all..

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2011, 01:55 »

I would happily buy cheap planetary outfits if I could. Obviously planet-bound people are laughing their ass off that Concord forces them to shop at NeX store and bleeds them dry of their isk.  :lol:

The Amarr Empire is also laughing their ass off that an Amarr operated store is getting all that revenue.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2011, 05:04 »

I would happily buy cheap planetary outfits if I could. Obviously planet-bound people are laughing their ass off that Concord forces them to shop at NeX store and bleeds them dry of their isk.  :lol:

The Amarr Empire is also laughing their ass off that an Amarr operated store is getting all that revenue.

People buy stuff there using funds other than their lottery winnings?
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:18 »

For shits and giggles, calculate the ISK value when AUR is purchased with PLEX on items below 5500 AUR. Then look at their market prices :) And then look at the market prices for what's above / collector items. Now, I'm not a market expert, and it could still take a good while, but it might be worth to park some funds in items currently used by players to liquidate their AUR. I also suggest, if you have not spent your AUR just yet, to hang on to it. Or toss in an extra PLEX to AUR and exchange to 5500+ AUR items for liquidation.

That said, capsuleer markup? Well, I'm not sure on the current state of the fashion industry, but when my mother was my age (this is 30 years ago) she worked at a factory that made clothing, before that whole industry moved to the east. When I was a kid she told me about how they'd make one thing, same material and everything, and put in different labels. One went to something like H&M, the other went to a fancy boutique or even to certain select brands. Why am I telling this anecdote? Because that's how I regard the NeX store. Yes, sometimes brands put out higher quality clothes instead of just a label on it, and exclusive designs, and I hope by now there's some rules on this ... but you can only add so much quality in the real world so I assume it's the same in EVE. There might be nano tech involved, clothing that adapts to your measurements, but even then I think the exclusivity of the brand is what really drives the prices up for capsuleers.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2011, 16:24 »

That makes sense, I've heard similar anecdotes. But as I've been pondering, it extends to literally everything else.

If we want a PV it's 30k isk, which probably still exceeds the typical family's income. Hell, even our tobacco costs a lot. These things, I imagine, could be attributed to the simple difficulty of getting these things into space - orbital-launching a can full of dirt and getting a luxury Gallentean PV into a station safely probably aren't the same game.

You're right though, still doesn't explain why clothing is thousands of percent more expensive than a prohibitive item like a PV. Maybe the planetary companies have started taking advantage of the extreme wealth and extreme greed of the average capsuleer.

Maybe it's some weird kind of vengeance for all the times we blew up something they liked. >>

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2011, 09:12 »

It could be argued with the new clone jump services that we aren't actually paying for an individual clothing item as such. What we are paying for is a lifetime guarantee that wherever we go in the cluster the clothing manufacture will provide us with an intact copy of what we have ordered

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2011, 18:42 »

It could be argued with the new clone jump services that we aren't actually paying for an individual clothing item as such. What we are paying for is a lifetime guarantee that wherever we go in the cluster the clothing manufacture will provide us with an intact copy of what we have ordered

That's not true, though.  When you clone jump, your clothing is left behind, and if you want a new portrait with said peice of clothing, you have to go back to where you clone jumped (either through flight or re-jumping).  I know this from experience.

Edit:  The only "infinte sets" thing happens if you're podded (I think?)

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2011, 22:10 »

Well, where I live, the good items (i.e. the dress shirts - the dress shirts are the only good items on the NeX right now, more's the pity) are about 30m ISK apiece, which is a tiny bit less ridiculous, but still ridiculous.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2011, 23:47 »

Well, I also went by Jita prices.

So this thought came at the disadvantage of being subject to both the initial ridiculousness, plus the added ridiculousness of a Jita trader's concept of "fair pricing."

Not that a fair price is ever the objective of trading anything.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2011, 07:36 »

That's not true, though.  When you clone jump, your clothing is left behind, and if you want a new portrait with said peice of clothing, you have to go back to where you clone jumped (either through flight or re-jumping).  I know this from experience.

Edit:  The only "infinte sets" thing happens if you're podded (I think?)

I like Robert Kauliford's reasoning. When you clone jump you still have the set of clothes, so you don't get a new set where you clone jump to. But if your clothes get destroyed in combat you get a shiny new set. The manufacturer guarantees that if you buy one piece of clothing, you will have that one piece of clothing for life (provided it is on your back and not in your cargohold when you get killed).

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2011, 14:18 »

TL:DR

Is NEX and AUR made IC somewhere even, maby those options are totaly non-RP you know :microtransations: of some sort.  :idea: :?:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2011, 14:51 »

On the Aurum Token: Originally designed for Noble Appliances in YC 113, the aurum token is a physical chit that can be redeemed for a predefined amount of AUR currency.

Though at first blush it appears to be a large coin, the aurum token shares more in common with high-security datacores. At the center of the token is digital ID paired with a series of suspended entangled electrons. When the token is redeemed, the entangled electrons are engaged, altering their partners located at an off-site bank. Not only does this ensure the exchange occurs instantly, but when combined with a proprietary security shell it renders attempts to tamper or counterfeit the token useless.

Though the gold and silver case is merely an aesthetic addition, the coin-like appearance has become synonymous with the device, leading to nicknames of "gold aurum", or "golden token".
Source: SCOPE fluff piece (unprinted)

Aurums are IC, it seems.

(showinfo on the aurum token, also here http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/item.php?type_id=2833 )
\o/

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2011, 01:35 »

I like Robert Kauliford's reasoning. When you clone jump you still have the set of clothes, so you don't get a new set where you clone jump to.

Actually, now you do.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2011, 07:39 »

Okay, I'm confused.

I put on a set of clothing that includes stuff out of the NeX in station A. These items disappear from my hangar and appear on my character's body.

Now you're telling me that if I jump-clone to station B, I will appear, with those clothes. And that if I go change the clothing I have on in the recustomization tool, the clothing items will appear in that hangar?

That's... I dunno. "Fucking stupid" comes to mind. How does that make sense at all? I put clothes on at point A, clone jump to a body on the other side of the cluster at point B, and am wearing the same set of RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED* clothing I started with? What?

... Or did they just fix the bug in question - that is, keep the clothing attached to the jump clone you left instead of dumping it in the hangar there? You people are making no sense (and I've had no reason to waste training time by JCing in a while, so haven't tested it myself yet)...

* The rest of the NeX price issues aside, the red jacket I have costs more than most if not all of the highest-tier medical clones available. That's pretty ridiculous, in context.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011, 07:41 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: [1] 2