Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gallente Bloc (or lack thereof) Discussion  (Read 7630 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Gallente Bloc (or lack thereof) Discussion
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:23 »

I've seen people come and go, trying to make a central Gallente organization. There just seems to be something about the Fed that doesn't hold people. It's an issue that other empires have, but it usually isn't quite so problematic.

It might be that a lot of people like to be an anti-hero, and the image the Fed presents is just a little too 'good', without a compelling cause (like slavery) to rally behind.

I think it is more possible to have a fringe or extremist position within the spectrum of what might believable be Fed-related than other empires, though. More possible in that there might be more variety.

A Gallente flavor of Sani Sabik, Anti-government (particularly after the disenfranchisement), anti-immigration (or even nastier kinds of nationalism hiding behind that facade), more moderate but still fervent opposition to external (particularly Republic? and of course those darn Caldari stations) links. Hell, neo-monarchists. Etc.

Now, I don't know that a polarizing position would help, just a thought about what might be tried.

There are, also, several fairly successful Gallente corps (Strix, several 'RP-lite' FW corps), so it might be that the perception there is no Gallente 'bloc' is more that they just aren't seen around a lot.

In fact, thinking about it, I think it is a surprisingly good reflection of, at least my idea, of Gallente society. There is no block because of course there are factors dividing everyone. Yet many (most?) still work for the good of the Fed, in their various ways. They don't agree and fall in line because that isn't required of them by the Fed, that kind of thing.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:42 »

Hmm, there is potential for so-called "Evil RP" in Gallente Federation, and particularly sinister at that.

Before joining Veto. I dabbled with ideas and notes of making a FIO Black Eagle capsuleer corp. What little info bits have given about they come of as a mix of the Gestapo and PsiCorps (from Babylon 5). People who are basically above reproach by their position and do things behind the scenes 'for the sake of the nation' because it's 'citizens do not always know what is good for them' and 'Because Democracy is too important to leave to chance'. I say above reproach because they answer only to Mentas Blaque. One could say that you could hold Blaque responsible but, would you really wanna do that knowing he has a government sanctioned gestapo-esque force at his disposal.

Am not sure how accurate this interpretation is but there is a venue for that kinda stuff with the Gallente as well. I just think Black Eagles need more sinister publicity in the form of fiction to bring forth the darker side of the Federation. Burning people on TV for 'justice' was a bit blunt and clumsy effort to bring the grimdark to the Feds imo.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:54 »

Sounds like the Black Eagles and the RSS have a lot in common.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:17 »

Back in the days I first considered Gallente. There could be a few possible openings.

First, a Gallente megacorp. A bit like a Caldari mega, except that you're not responsible of the people working for you. They're your staff, not your citizens, so as long as you don't break any major laws, the PR machine can deal with the general populace. Or if it's a criminal mega (like the Serpentis), ditch the PR, you won't need it. Examples: Several old Gallente paramilitaries would be mix of this and the third flavour.

Second, political radicals. There's a plenty of activists of all sorts in the Federation. The exact flavour might vary a bit. Liberals would be out of the question, but the mentioned Royalists would do fine, as well as Commies. Examples: Intaki separatists.

Third, at least before the FW (and why not in the FW, too): Team Gallente: Universal Police. The existing paramilitary corps might do well here.

Vieve

« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:55 »

Strix is around.  At the risk of oversharing, one of the reasons folks don't see much from it in terms of self-publicity these days is that few within the current organization care to interact with the RP community at large, and those who do have been beset by RL issues that limit their game time.

Then there's me, who's all over interacting with the RP community at large (even though I don't have much in the way of time to do so anymore) -- but I don't to be even unwittingly in charge of any corporate-level RP.   That's not true of just Strix, but also applies to any corporation I didn't create. :P

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:33 »

Gallente (and Caldari) corps have lots of public RP?   :roll:

I thought it was just par for the course that we tend to avoid threadnaughts on IGS.

Vieve

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:36 »

I thought it was just par for the course that we tend to avoid threadnaughts on IGS.

:D

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2010, 21:31 »

I just registered to say, this thread delivers, and personally feel very honored to be mentioned.

I'm back ingame, and building new stuff, not as Bruno though, he is dead. Too idealistic, too nice, too naive, he had too many pitfalls.

New character is Gallente thru and thru.

And one thing i came to realize, there can never be a "Gallente Bloc" per se, since those who wish to RP democracy, liberalism, politics and other aspects of the Gallente culture means a level of complexity that can never form a single cohesive front, only a loose one gathered by what the Federation "ideals" represent to each individual.

And perhaps after realizing that, Gallente RPers can explore better what it means to be part of "the bloc".

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2010, 13:14 »

Well, you look at how fractured even apparently more monolithic 'Factions' are (Republic or Amarr RPers, for example) and it's easy to see where there would be even less cohesion in the 'Gallente' block.

How is the rebuilding going, Bruno, and who is the character/what is the corporation - if it isn't a secret?

I might have someone to point your way for an event. Been looking for Gallente participants.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2010, 23:26 »

I don't even bother to read the IGS any more :ugh:

Zag

« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2010, 13:36 »

My question is: "Why do the Gallente need a bloc anyway?" For myself, one of the draws of Gallentean/Federal RP is its lack of homogenity. Some may see the lack of a, 'Party Line' as detrimental but for Fed RP you don't need one. There's so much possibility and opportunity in Fed RP it's amazing people don't explore them. It's far more interesting having a variety of Federal corps pursuing their agendas than having one single bloc in my opinion.

If we're talking raw numbers of Fed RP'ers then yes, it's true it's smaller than the other factions but the issue is really that currently only the ILF/IPI is visibly pursuing its agenda in a solid fashion. I will say that Strix is pursuing its own agenda but visibly? No. Strix has always operated as an SDII (Previously FIO) corporate front. As such in terms of RP, it's detrimental to be seen as 'nothing more' than a Federal PMC. Visibility tends to be more a liability than asset for Strix. We can't exactly go around screaming, "We're with the SDII!" now can we?

As for people wanting be the anti-heroes in regards to Fed RP I've found the opposite to be true. When presented with the fact that as a part of Strix one is expected to murder, assassinate, kidnap, extort, torture, perform renditions, foment extra-territorial insurgency and conduct corporate and state espionage all in the name of the Federation, more than a few have decided to opt-out of the corp. People seem to want to be the white knights when it comes to the Federation and not do, "Whatever it takes", to preserve democracy and ensure citizens sleep soundly at night.

Such as with Lokikamo Innova, it was nothing more than an unfortunate attack by the Angel Cartel, not the utilization of Cartel assets to cover the massacre of staff at Pertnineere, the liquidation of its Board of Directors and the torture of its Chief Executive aimed at containing suspected Provist infiltration of the company and the exposure of tenuous links between Strix and Ishukone.

As for what that has to do with the Gallente Bloc? It would get boring if the Federation was just a bunch of jackboot wearing fascists. You also need people to apply that jackboot to.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2010, 14:01 »

I think previously there just haven't been enough RPers to really sustain an extremely multi-faceted Fed landscape. You've got people who are involved in Gallente RP of any stripe (not traditionally a huge number) and then you divide them into a bunch of smaller groups and you kinda run out of people. At least that was always my impression. I know there have been corps that were aligned with particular facets and successful, but I never really saw enough folks to cover a good spectrum of facets. That might have been a failure of observation on my part, ofc.

With live events generating interest, and the overall ongoing increase in player numbers, that hopefully will no longer be the case, though, if it was previously.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2010, 09:38 »

If we're talking raw numbers of Fed RP'ers then yes, it's true it's smaller than the other factions but the issue is really that currently only the ILF/IPI is visibly pursuing its agenda in a solid fashion.

Thanks for the props, Zag! I remember a time back in the day when there were four or five fairly active pro-Fed corps. It was a lot of fun to see some of their pilots in local and launch into a rhetorical debate on the meanings of Freedom, the bonds of multinational democracies, the finer points of the nullification doctrine, etc.

I'm not saying I need another Moira. episode, but it was nice to have a group that could be relied upon to serve as a counter to our position. Yin-Yang and all that.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2010, 10:32 »

Honestly, when you ask the question, "Why is the gallente bloc non-existant?", you really need to first ask what defines the culture first before you can identify whether it even exists or not. So taking directly from the character creation screen I've bulleted the essentials, taken right from the new character info: Democratic, multi-cultural, welcomes outsiders with open arms, intolerant of closed societies, fierce defenders of personal and social liberties.

Now, my question to all of you: if you walk into a capsuleer roleplay bar and interacted with the people there, could you tell the difference between a fed rp'er from a Republic-born capsuleer, an independent trader, and a Caldari pilot? Unless they're painting broad brush stereotypes (*looks at the caldari squeezing his isk*), it may be rather difficult. The problem I've seen is there simply isn't enough diversity from the other cultures to really set the Feds apart. Most are already roleplaying all of those attributes, just not in the name of the Federation.

So honestly, what I'd like to see is a little more diversity from all the other cultures in the capsuleer community, because with some few exceptions I'd say the Feds are in the majority. Also, whether you hate them or not, the Star Fraction are the ultimate expression of the Federation culture taken to the extreme. They pretty much espouse all of the values of the Federation without actually representing them.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2010, 10:53 »

Now, my question to all of you: if you walk into a capsuleer roleplay bar and interacted with the people there, could you tell the difference between a fed rp'er from a Republic-born capsuleer, an independent trader, and a Caldari pilot? Unless they're painting broad brush stereotypes (*looks at the caldari squeezing his isk*), it may be rather difficult. The problem I've seen is there simply isn't enough diversity from the other cultures to really set the Feds apart. Most are already roleplaying all of those attributes, just not in the name of the Federation.

So honestly, what I'd like to see is a little more diversity from all the other cultures in the capsuleer community, because with some few exceptions I'd say the Feds are in the majority. Also, whether you hate them or not, the Star Fraction are the ultimate expression of the Federation culture taken to the extreme. They pretty much espouse all of the values of the Federation without actually representing them.

I actually agree with this, and it fits PF perfectly in the sense of how the Gallente are the most "culturally dominant". There were parties in Three Sisters for example, last year, that was all decadent and depraved and was very much "Gallentean", despite the fact the amount of Gallente faction RPers were minimal.

And yes, if you read the description of Proteus, the first thing I thought of was the Star Fraction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3