Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Psychology/Psychiatry/Neuroscience [SPLIT FROM:] Wish fulfillment RP Version 2.0  (Read 6047 times)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette

Wasn't it Freudian theory that said little girls want to marry their daddy?

Freudian theory is unfalsifiable pseudoscience.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

I think all psychology counts as unfalsifiable pseudoscience :p

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

I think all psychology counts as unfalsifiable pseudoscience :p

Your use of hyperbole (i.e. "all") invalidates the statement. ;)

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Opinions are valid on their own merit, there's no invalidating a person's opinion.  There's just disagreeing with it, which doesn't effect the opinion itself in the least :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Except your opinion was a thin veneer over a factual statement. "Unfalsifiable" has a technical meaning, and while I personally think of psychology as a "pseudoscience", along with all the other soft sciences, much of it is indeed falsifiable.

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette

Plenty of psychology (including all good psychology) is falsifiable. Freudian theory is not. It can explain every conceivable behavior in hindsight, and as such, can not be used to make any accurate predictions about future behavior.

It's about as useful as astrology.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

I just don't personally believe that any science based on what and why people think or feel can be truly, concretely proven or disproven.  Not to the point where any "scientific law" can be stated, anyway.  Of course, there're thousands of psychologists with much more expensive educations who'd probably disagree wholeheartedly with that.  :p

Twitter

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

I just don't personally believe that any science based on what and why people think or feel can be truly, concretely proven or disproven.  Not to the point where any "scientific law" can be stated, anyway.  Of course, there're thousands of psychologists with much more expensive educations who'd probably disagree wholeheartedly with that.  :p

Neuroscience is Psychology, and also quite provable.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

Opinions are valid on their own merit, there's no invalidating a person's opinion.  There's just disagreeing with it, which doesn't effect the opinion itself in the least :)

Also about this: Opinion is one thing, however when one makes a statement that contains the words "all" or "never" that statement is often invalidated because the conditional is unapproachable, much like infinity.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system.

Psychology (lit. "study of the soul" or "study of the mind")[1] is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of human (or animal) mental functions and behaviors.

Okay, wikipedia's lame for defining things, I know.. Miriam-Webster, instead:

Psychology:
 1 : the science of mind and behavior
2 a : the mental or behavioral characteristics of an individual or group b : the study of mind and behavior in relation to a particular field of knowledge or activity
3 : a theory or system of psychology <Freudian psychology> <the psychology of Jung>

Neuroscience:
: a branch (as neurophysiology) of the life sciences that deals with the anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology of nerves and nervous tissue and especially with their relation to behavior and learning

My point being, they're really not the same thing at all.

Also about this: Opinion is one thing, however when one makes a statement that contains the words "all" or "never" that statement is often invalidated because the conditional is unapproachable, much like infinity.
Everyone knows what hyperbole is, I don't think it's really necessary to point out its use.  I do think that its use naturally identifies a statement as an opinion.

Twitter

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

The discussion on IRL psychology/psychiatry/neuroscience to might be better placed in the speakeasy? Happy to split the thread if requested.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

The discussion on IRL psychology/psychiatry/neuroscience to might be better placed in the speakeasy? Happy to split the thread if requested.
Indeed, by all means do  :oops:

Twitter

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system.

Psychology (lit. "study of the soul" or "study of the mind")[1] is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of human (or animal) mental functions and behaviors.

Okay, wikipedia's lame for defining things, I know.. Miriam-Webster, instead:

Psychology:
 1 : the science of mind and behavior
2 a : the mental or behavioral characteristics of an individual or group b : the study of mind and behavior in relation to a particular field of knowledge or activity
3 : a theory or system of psychology <Freudian psychology> <the psychology of Jung>

Neuroscience:
: a branch (as neurophysiology) of the life sciences that deals with the anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, or molecular biology of nerves and nervous tissue and especially with their relation to behavior and learning

My point being, they're really not the same thing at all.

Everyone knows what hyperbole is, I don't think it's really necessary to point out its use.  I do think that its use naturally identifies a statement as an opinion.

Thank you. I was a bit miffed when I read to the contrary...

Natalcya Katla

• Omelette

As a direct study of the mechanisms of the brain, neuroscience most definitely is the same as "the science of mind and behavior". Mechanisms of the brain are what makes up the mind. And given that neuroscience is taught in basic psychology courses at universities as one among several "schools" or methods of psychological research, then yes, it is psychology.

I personally would argue that even "softer" schools of psychological research are good science as long as they are able to form testable hypotheses and are scrupulous in how they conduct experiments. Even though human behavior at the individual level is more erratic than, say, gravity, if psychologists are able to determine that humans in a representative sample are 70% likely to respond in a certain way in a certain situation, and these findings can be consistently replicated by other scientists, then that is still useful, scientific knowledge. Even when a whole paradigm of psychological thought is essentially proven wrong, like behaviorism was, the fact that it could be proven wrong testifies to its adherence to scientific principles, and the fact that it was proven wrong is also useful knowledge. This is an important part of scientific progress.

Freudian theory, in contrast, can't be proven wrong. There is literally no way to prove it wrong, as there is no conceivable behavior in any conceivable situation which it can't explain in hindsight. And that's why it's not good science.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

No, it's not psychology. It's biochemistry and biology. Merely related to psychology. Psychology is a faux science simply because it's theories can't be proven right, merely wrong. Yes, you have to learn a bit of biochemistry and biology to properly grasp psychology, and yes there's 'these theories fit for the most part, barring few exceptions' within it that allows psychology to be a reliable field of medicine.

However, it's still not a science, as long as it's theories and methodology can't be proven to be 'truth'. Merely indicative of truth. There's a certain 'Purity of science' XKCD strip that's very good at comparing the various fields. Psychology and even worse, Sociology lies somewhere on the iffy side of the scale.

Pages: [1] 2