Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Author Topic: Dust 514 RP?  (Read 2750 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Dust 514 RP?
« on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:15 »

From the outset I'm going to say that I believe its highly unlikely that there will be any real RP in this new part of the EVE universe (which is not to say that it isnt a good game) mostly because having been pretty much born into the console gaming generation I know that most fps gamers do not seek to create a character, have a backstory, consider the implications of their actions or really ascribe any meaning to in-game events that arent big Vs Tournaments.

I'm not rehashing the old verse of "fps gamer = narcaleptic retard with no irl skill", what I'm saying is that they treat the game as a game, i.e. a test of skills in a controlled environment.

Thats my bit, but I'm curious as to everyones opinions or if you have ideas about incorporating RP into an FPS.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Altantsetseg Naranbaatar

• Eyeshadow and Oil Smudges
  • Clonejack
  • What? I always dress like this...
    • Alta's Closet
Re: Dust 514 RP?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:40 »

I would also imagine that having voice comms as the main form of communication would also limit the possibility of RP... I think very few people would create a character who sounds much like themselves, and if not, you get into the realm of the roleplay who 'talks in funny voices' (Which I do in pencil and paper games, but in an FPS, I think the abuse one would receive for it is off the charts).

Overall though, I hadn't given it much thought.  I can't play First Person games without getting violently ill, so I know it's not a possibility for me.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:10 »

I already have a character queued up to be converted from a "NPC" into a DUST PC. :)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:22 »

How does someone who chronically falls asleep at random times play an FPS successfully?  I mean, the last narcoleptic I knew used to fall asleep standing up at parties with a drink in his hand.  How the fuck do you not die horribly every time that happens while playing an FPS?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:01 »

DUST 514 will attract a specific audience, it would be wise to not apply the Modern Warfare syndrome to this specific FPS.

Take the ARMA series. Only a specific type of gamer will play those, same with DUST I think.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2011, 11:09 »

While I don't think we'll see much, if any, outright RP on the battlefield, some of these command center-based DUSTer-Capsuleer interactions they're talking about look to be fertile ground for RP.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2011, 04:48 »

While I don't think we'll see much, if any, outright RP on the battlefield, some of these command center-based DUSTer-Capsuleer interactions they're talking about look to be fertile ground for RP.

Yeah, that really comes down to us, I think we as RPers can definitely help push that process along. If when calling in the Dusties, we have all of our interactions  in character, I think it will encourage those players to think more about their characters and put more thought into their backstories and slowly but surely bring them into the community.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Father Void

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2011, 11:43 »

It is an opportunity to evolve. I often see voice comms as a hindrance to RPing. I'm also aware that his is a hold over from older possible out dated methods of communication. Nothing crushes my gaming soul faster than finding out that my corp CEO is 12 via voice comms. Text allows for a certain about of immersion and disbelief.

DUST 514 will be voice comms all the way but it shouldn't stop us from creating a corp environment that still have RP elements and backbone.

One could organize attacks and defense all in the form and vein of RP goals. Create post fight bloggs and back story and of course website/forum support. Maybe the easiest way to emulate RP in comms would be to adopt ranks and military jargon. Adding "Yes Sirs!" and preformed commands "I need Alpha team on point, take out that troop carrier. Bravo team hold back and provide support." could go a long way to providing a voice environment that feels more RP.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2011, 15:51 »

You can still chat in EVE channels with a mouse/keyboard plugged into your PS3. I know what I'll be doing...

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:22 »

If I could actually play console games to the standard of the typical FPSer (Left hand don't work so well) you bet I'd be on the front lines RPing....

I'm still waiting to see how the EVE/Dust interaction works...if it -is- actual interaction, then this puppy might grow a new set of teeth.