Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Navy Megathron Raffle  (Read 612 times)

Norrin Ellis

Navy Megathron Raffle
« on: 26 Jul 2011, 14:05 »

Ahoy, friends!

For those who don't follow the IGS, I am holding a raffle for a Navy Megathron, a replica of my racing team's flagship (details here).  I thought this might be a good place to answer some concerns that have been raised OOC by a few individuals.  Before getting onto that, however, I'd like to thank everyone who has already purchased tickets.  You guys really enrich the IC racing experience by participating in my periodic team fundraising efforts.

10 million ISK?! [colorful expletives] You're crazy!  Chribba raffles motherships for that!
The obvious point to make here is that Chribba certainly does sell individual tickets for the same price that I do.  He also sells 1,500-2,000 per raffle, while I have capped ticket sales at only 100, and I do not have a minimum (I would've raffled it with only 2 tickets sold, as 1 ticket wouldn't require a drawing).  Therefore, what you get from me is a minimum 1% probability of winning.  Continuing the apples to oranges comparison with Chribba that some have insisted upon, you get a .05-.067% probability of winning his motherships.  In that respect, I'm giving you a much better deal.

You're essentially selling a Navy Megathron for 1 billion ISK, [expletive]!
Notwithstanding the fact that anyone who could get 1 billion ISK for a ship that retails around 450-470 million would do so in a heartbeat...

There's a reason this was posted as an IC raffle.  I would've gladly taken a loss (as mentioned above) because the ship itself is the most amazing collector's item Venture Racing has ever offered.  I'm thankful that I've already sold enough tickets to earn about as much as I would on the open market (again, the team thanks you guys), but the real value for us as an RP entity is drawing attention to the sport, the league, and our team.  Everyone in the league has been brainstorming on new ways to generate interest, and I happened to have an extra Navy Megathron lying about, so this made sense.  If we sell out our ticket allotment, I may try to find one spectacular collector's item to raffle every season.

How do I know I can trust you?  You're a suspicous one.
Trust me or not, it's not in my interest to rip anyone off.  I have been building the team with one character or another for several years now because the relationships with my racers are an integral part of my enjoyment of EVE.  What I have learned in EVE is that people who are ripped off are very likely to get their revenge, especially the RP community.  While I could conceivably hole up in a station forever and avoid direct retribution, the simple fact is that my racers come from all different walks of life and various corporations, so if I were to cheat others, I'd be painting big targets on the backs of my pilots as a means to get to me.  Is it rational for me to screw my closest friends and lock myself in a station (where I can't even spin my ship anymore) just to abscond with an amount of ISK that is decidedly small in the grand scheme?  Please, a little more credit than that, friends.

Aside from these concerns, I've been pleasantly surprised by the response to the raffle.  I expected a very grueling pace of sales right up until the official drawing date, but I've sold nearly half of the tickets in just a few days.  If they all sell out quickly, I shall hold the drawing as soon as possible.  From all of us at Venture Racing, thanks so much for your support!