Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23283 times)

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
Re: Arek'jaalan: The ONGOING Verdict
« Reply #90 on: 15 Aug 2011, 12:56 »

IC, Revan stired some nerves there in order to pick a few obvious reactions which worked pretty well as she planned, so now its just let things move on naturally.
I wont be able to follow much the event myself , ill leave the war decs to be decided by the people playing, but ill keep checking things when possible.

I saw some of that and rather frowned at it. Then again, I consider it poor form to go after a character because the player may not know how a word is spelled, despite knowing the word, what it means, and how to use it. It comes across as a cheap OOC shot to score points in an IC argument (See: Winning RP) and seeing Revan resorting to such petty crap while trying to demand respect and be taken seriously induces severe eye-rolling. Of course, if the goal was to burn all the bridges and run, she did fine there.

On a related note, while I don't get the IC justification for Revan turning hostile toward the project, I certainly get it OOC and am actually quite pleased. Particularly if it leads to a trimming of the fat from the project, maybe drive off a few of those who seem to be there for their 15 minutes rather than actually contributing. So that should be interesting, I think it'll be a fun development.

You completely lost me here on your first sentence. I don't believe Revan ever would resort to word spelling and grammar, considering that I myself am Swedish , currentely working on a Portuguese speaking Country with a portuguese keyboard to communicate in English and to be very honest i couldnt care less about spending time even checking those things.
So you need to tell what exactly you are refering to, if it was about shuush comment, you are far away from thinking revan refered to grammar lol. Simply she refered to the state of communications as to low level ' populace " term when a bunch of "commoners " in her expression were gathered to such low level conclave considering they should be scientific minds and therefore quite the opposite.
So again, i ask, what exactly are you refering to as revan pointing english grammar or such? im rather curious to know.
When I said above about stiring some nerves, I refered to the usual pattern, she choses capsuleers with low emotional resilience and makes them give her the " casus beli " as needed and thats exactly what she did.
This is nothing new either, she has done this on igs countless times in order to fill the slots of wars from her contractors.

IC, the reason of her turning hostile was already posted, those who mattered to her were against the project and so, she attended their wishes to give them green card to act, something they couldnt do while their leader remained as part of it.
OOC, as already stated basically is the same, let the players play their way and considering that Im quite busy with new university and projects starting now that the vacation to all of us ends, my eve time will be extremelly restricted and spending it on AJ channels doing 2 hours of same rp over and over or writting wiki isnt exactly fitting to how i wish to spend the few hours Ill have to dedicate to eve from now on. So yes, of course we fit our ic decisions to our ooc current investments too, its normal.

Anyway: consequences in space, yes, absolutely. That's part of the goal of catalyzing player conflict. But the arc events themselves (i.e. the interaction with the actors) mostly takes place "stationside" for this particular one.

Whether that drives player characters to blow each other up is another issue, obviously. :D

It usually ends this way, as long as there are people who enjoys pvp and such, i believe lots of events will find their way to that consequnce.
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #91 on: 15 Aug 2011, 13:13 »

Making fun of typos and misspelling is a perfectly valid approach IC, I feel.

No it isn't is just idiocy to be honest. cheap way to conduct an argument.

Damn, Revan, you really need an editor or proof-reader. Your content is great, even if from Miz's IC point of view it's retarded, but the spelling. Oh dear Lords, the spelling. I wouldn't have thought much about it if I didn't also know that very thing has been a weapon in Revan's arsenal against others in the verbal fencing grounds.

It isnt and never will be considering that I myself type always in a rush and will never spending another minute of my time bothering about grammar police ooc vendettas. To me, when you have to work around the clock in a global world nowadays, you simply know that communication means : pass a message to your audience to understand and be able to get back to you with a result.
That's the only thing revan does and will continue to do and considering that her events and interactions has always reached the public target she aims at, im sure that its quite ok the way its done.
I really have no issues with any of it, those who feels offended by my lack of patience to add another minute or so to do keyboard changes or online speels checkers and so on , well, will have to deal with it as they have for the past 7 years of revans posts lol. Its just a subject i really dont care to adress ic and gladly accept as it is, as long as the core message reaches the audience, thats all it matters.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #92 on: 15 Aug 2011, 13:14 »

You completely lost me here on your first sentence. I don't believe Revan ever would resort to word spelling and grammar, considering that I myself am Swedish , currentely working on a Portuguese speaking Country with a portuguese keyboard to communicate in English and to be very honest i couldnt care less about spending time even checking those things.
So you need to tell what exactly you are refering to, if it was about shuush comment, you are far away from thinking revan refered to grammar lol. Simply she refered to the state of communications as to low level ' populace " term when a bunch of "commoners " in her expression were gathered to such low level conclave considering they should be scientific minds and therefore quite the opposite.
So again, i ask, what exactly are you refering to as revan pointing english grammar or such? im rather curious to know.
When I said above about stiring some nerves, I refered to the usual pattern, she choses capsuleers with low emotional resilience and makes them give her the " casus beli " as needed and thats exactly what she did.
This is nothing new either, she has done this on igs countless times in order to fill the slots of wars from her contractors.

IC, the reason of her turning hostile was already posted, those who mattered to her were against the project and so, she attended their wishes to give them green card to act, something they couldnt do while their leader remained as part of it.
OOC, as already stated basically is the same, let the players play their way and considering that Im quite busy with new university and projects starting now that the vacation to all of us ends, my eve time will be extremelly restricted and spending it on AJ channels doing 2 hours of same rp over and over or writting wiki isnt exactly fitting to how i wish to spend the few hours Ill have to dedicate to eve from now on. So yes, of course we fit our ic decisions to our ooc current investments too, its normal.

It was in the process of provoking someone of, as you put it, low emotional resilience, and no I don't mean the 'shoosh' thing. Someone made spelling error while arguing with Revan (mostly telling her to stfu and stop disrupting the meeting) and Revan response looked like she was mocking her for the error while ignoring what she'd actually said. I may have misread it, but that's what it looked like. I can dig up logs when I get home from work in a few hours, if you'd like. *shrug*

Not that big a deal and Revan's hardly the only person I've seen do this, perhaps I just have higher expectations for her ;)

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #93 on: 15 Aug 2011, 13:18 »

It was in the process of provoking someone of, as you put it, low emotional resilience, and no I don't mean the 'shoosh' thing. Someone made spelling error while arguing with Revan (mostly telling her to stfu and stop disrupting the meeting) and Revan response looked like she was mocking her for the error while ignoring what she'd actually said. I may have misread it, but that's what it looked like. I can dig up logs when I get home from work in a few hours, if you'd like. *shrug*

Not that big a deal and Revan's hardly the only person I've seen do this, perhaps I just have higher expectations for her ;)

Nah , I can assure you that whatever it was it was nothing to do with english grammar or whatever, if you can bring the logs i can tell you what it was about. What i can tell for sure is that whatever it was it was to take advantage of her / his emotional break down and use it to give her investors an ic reason to become hostile towards the event.

And expectations regarding Revan is a very hard and dangerous concept to think about, Revan is very umpredictable and she will use whatever circunstances to adapt to anything that will profit her and her own in the process. Besides, she is not really sane in any reasonable aspect, but she knows how to turn situations to favour her plans and that is exactly what she has done.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #94 on: 15 Aug 2011, 14:42 »

Outside of occasional field expeditions, this particular story line is not intended to involve space. That's what the Sansha and upcoming FW story lines are for.

Says who? Most certainly not me.

"Oh, you guys shouldn't undock" is probably the least productive advice anyone could have to make RP seem to be a more legitimate and vital element of eve online. There's nothing that turns the larger population off  from RP more than that kind of stuff.

Which is why we're seeing a large, ongoing backlash against the project in the general EVE online player base. If we wish to avoid the development of OOC animosity against the project, then we need to guide it to more productive activities.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2011, 14:44 by Julianus Soter »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #95 on: 15 Aug 2011, 18:04 »

Soter, you're not the GM. So it doesn't really matter if you say it or not. Dropbear said this explicitly in his talk and notes: the A'J storyline is not intended to involve ships and blowing stuff up. Players who want that sort of action should look at the Sansha or FW storylines, or whatever else they already do.

In-space actions from A'J will more or less happen as follow-on activity. We've already seen great examples of those sorts of things in this thread. But this doesn't mean that we'll see a lot of Tukoss undocking and doing whatever science things he does in space, nor requesting that directly from the players (though that's not to say it will never happen).

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #96 on: 15 Aug 2011, 23:24 »

Says who? Most certainly not me.

"Oh, you guys shouldn't undock" is probably the least productive advice anyone could have to make RP seem to be a more legitimate and vital element of eve online. There's nothing that turns the larger population off  from RP more than that kind of stuff.

Which is why we're seeing a large, ongoing backlash against the project in the general EVE online player base. If we wish to avoid the development of OOC animosity against the project, then we need to guide it to more productive activities.

Can't say I disagree with that, I often started to think if the event wouldn't be more productive if presented on an ooc format , for example, eve fiction , instead of igs at least to start gathering and reaching eve large playerbase.
The rp aspect of it of course is very important to US, rpers, but playing devil's advocate here, if the intention is to promote life events to eve in general and make players acquainted to it, difgging it into rp exclusive circles isn't a very didactic or enticing, appealing , whatever you want to say - way to start promoting it.

Without the rp aspect you would reach for example those players at eve fiction who have been studing ancient races since ages and most likely would love to just be part of something like this. Also, not saying everyone would be able to participate as ic politics etc wouldn't have a weight too.
Of course, not saying the rp aspect should be eliminated totally, but gradually injected would be a way to go.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #97 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:28 »

I have been on a trip for ten days or so and the AJ project has not progressed further than I will be able to catch up. That is properly too slow for some but good for me.

I see Myyona participating in the project as it is only a scientific interest group with a set focus and nothing more. It is not a corporation or an alliance, the Ethics Committee is not a board of directors and the Security group is not a military force for conquest. Both are at best supportive groups for the main research projects with minor say on the research itself. Even if you want to it to be something else, it is not supported by the game mechanics in any other way so nobody holds any real power over anybody else within the project. In effect, AJ is a bunch people with a shared interest that get together and exchange thoughts and ideas with the aim of increasing common understanding on a specific topic. Just like real world science. Of course, if people in general had a better understanding of scientific methods the output of the project would increase, but no rush for my sake.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #98 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:52 »

i read somewhere that the Hilen Tukoss character/CCP Dropbear said one of the divisions was "exemplary", in terms of the sciency thing they were doing.
\o/

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #99 on: 08 Sep 2011, 19:19 »

So, some recent activities and developments, certainly from the outside looking in this is interesting:

- Drake Arson departs the project. If you recall there were issues with Arson Industries an Syne before this, causing some problems.

- A few breakthoughs on Aj's many projects

- More recently, the discovery of a long lost scientist with a long name.

BUT, thats not it... For you see many people have now discovered this scientist. (Hint: Multiple clones [allegedly])

Opinions? Some inside perspective?
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2011, 19:34 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #100 on: 08 Sep 2011, 20:21 »

- Drake Arson departs the project. If you recall there were issues with Arson Industries an Syne before this, causing some problems.

He left the project "temporarily" so that he could get around the majority opinion (and related policies) regarding his desire to wardec Syne.

- A few breakthoughs on Aj's many projects

Not so much "breakthroughs" yet - mostly people coming up with "results" with varying degrees of "", and waiting for Hilen/Dropbear to have the time to look them over and throw a bone to them. With all the conventions he's had to go to, this'll be a while.

- More recently, the discovery of a long lost scientist with a long name.

BUT, thats not it... For you see many people have now discovered this scientist. (Hint: Multiple clones [allegedly])

This is an issue of people considering mission items as interactable NPCs. It's an extension of the issue that arises from all players pulling completely identical missions from the same pool of available ones, over and over again.

I shouldn't have to go into the implications of people running around with two active clones. It's probably one of the single biggest no-nos for anyone with a cloning contract in New Eden, capsuleer or not. Like, CONCORD will actively hunt you down kind of no-no.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2011, 20:27 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #101 on: 08 Sep 2011, 23:24 »

Moira's holding position in the Trinity class four system we've been operating in, keeping busy making money, doing pew pew, such like, until we get word back on Operation Trinity preliminary report (latest version available here). Word back sooner rather than later would be handy. :P

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #102 on: 09 Sep 2011, 05:12 »

Not so much "breakthroughs" yet - mostly people coming up with "results" with varying degrees of "", and waiting for Hilen/Dropbear to have the time to look them over and throw a bone to them. With all the conventions he's had to go to, this'll be a while.
It will not be long now before there will be moaning about the stagnation of the project. Though, I will not blame Dropbear that people have dug themselves into this situation nor do I expect much in the way of bones will be thrown.

That would sort of spoil the game us that actually like to search out and dig through the ingame information and derive knowledge based on that, no matter how slow that process ever must be. I certainly do not like the situation of stating "My character studies intensively to reveal the answer to all questions" and then look with puppy eyes at the Game Master until he goes "You are successful! The answer is...".

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #103 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:16 »

Part of the reason in releasing the General Trinity Hypothesis was to poke the hornet's nest and generate some discussion based on our observations thus far. Of course, you need other people willing to discuss it for there to be progress. Let's see where it goes.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #104 on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:31 »

I just read it and it is good.

If people find it difficult to provide evidence for their hypothesis it is still better that they try to make a discussion based on their own wild ideas than sit back and wait for Dropbear to come with a definite answer for them. That way we at least got something to work with. It also increases the chance that maybe somebody else got supporting or contradicting evidence for the hypothesis and can bid in on the discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13