Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

blueprints are required for manufacture of everything from shuttles to dreadnoughts because of strict anti-copyright infringement laws enforced by the SCC.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Can this be explained  (Read 10368 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Can this be explained
« on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:25 »

Link to catacombs: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=2558.0

How does my post qualify for moderation?  I can't see any unconstructive or 'urdoingitwrong', which is the reason given for the post being moderated.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Can this be explained
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:27 »

I think that reading the entire moderator statement, instead of focusing only on the first few words and ignoring the rest, would help.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:31 »

I think that reading the entire moderator statement, instead of focusing only on the first few words and ignoring the rest, would help.

Yes, I think that would help get some worthwhile replies to my question.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:39 »

I've taken your advice and read the moderator comment a second time. My question stands.

Replies removed solely not to cause confusion; please feel free to restate your own reasons constructively.

However, I'd like to expand my quesiton.  I'd very much like to hear an explanation as to how my post can be considered unconstructive (the semicolon implies they are considered so), and how my post can be moderated on grounds that it could 'create confusion'.  That second problem is the creation of the moderator and not grounds to moderate my post.   I can't see a plausible explanation for a rule or principle being broken in my post.  A thread isn't a hedge to be trimmed just to 'look' better on a whim.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2011, 10:41 by scagga »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:51 »

Your post replied directly to one that was removed due to moderation.

Removal of the moderated post but not yours and the other(s) replying to it directly would have caused confusion because you were replying to something that did not exist. This is not an unusual course of action on these boards, and happens quite frequently.

You are free to repost, provided that it also follows guidelines.

How is this difficult to understand?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:53 »

Your post replied directly to one that was removed due to moderation.

Removal of the moderated post but not yours and the other(s) replying to it directly would have caused confusion because you were replying to something that did not exist. This is not an unusual course of action on these boards, and happens quite frequently.

You are free to repost, provided that it also follows guidelines.

How is this difficult to understand?

It is difficult to understand because the threshold for moderation is so low sometimes that I feel I am being subjected to the whims of an oestrogen-soaked pillow.  One sentence in my post was a question asking for clarification of a term used in a moderated post that in itself was of no objectionable quality.  There is no need to go in with a flamethrower on that.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:11 »

I would say in this case it would have been easier (IMO) to simply edit out that line, but as general policy we try to avoid snipping out pieces from posts unless absolutely necessary. As far as the moderation of the OP of that post I think that calling an approach to RP "bullshit" is quite clearly not constructive. Judging by Mata's response that perception isn't just limited to the moderators.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:34 »

I would say in this case it would have been easier (IMO) to simply edit out that line, but as general policy we try to avoid snipping out pieces from posts unless absolutely necessary. As far as the moderation of the OP of that post I think that calling an approach to RP "bullshit" is quite clearly not constructive. Judging by Mata's response that perception isn't just limited to the moderators.

The important point is that I cannot see a plausible justification to bin the whole post.  On the question of confusion, moderation should not cater to the lowest IQ - the post is not confusing even in the absence of the posts that came immediately prior to it.

This complaint isn't just about a disagreement with a moderator decision.  Time and time again the moderators are unnecessarily heavy-handed in using their power.   In this example, my post was condemned at the drop of a hat, despite not containing any objectionable material.  An single allusion to a post that was moderated is not grounds to destroy a whole post. 

This kind of moderating behaviour is not 'moderate', and furthermore is disrespectful of a contributor to a discussion.  It is third-world policing; snap reactions with batons and teargas instead of a dignified bobby politely asking someone to alter their behaviour if needed. 

If there is something that is objectionable in a person's post that does not appear malicious, a modicum of politesse would include contacting the poster about it.   When moderation is done in this way it has been done here, it alienates and angers posters and makes them feel wronged.

Moderators should not moderate because they personally disagree with the views of a poster.  Moderators should not be a vehicle for destroying discussions.  If Laerise had been contacted and asked to modify his tone, we could have had a discussion about what he meant by 'cuddle me', which is a term I still do not understand in context.

The moderation on this forum is bereft of visible checks and balances.   I am becoming aware of an increasing number of posters who are dissatisfied with the way moderation is undertaken here.  Someone who thinks he or she is unimpeachable may well come here and say 'if you don't like it, leave', but that takes the same steps that was seen with Chatsubo and is a CCPesque quality reply.

During the design phase of these forums I suggested that moderators have a 'term' of office, or if concerns were raised about them they could be reviewed / elected.  There are no such measures in place to give the options for the community to express their wishes.  I think moderators should be rotated at intervals so that the rubbish ones don't have to be embarrassingly voted/complained out, or cause too much damage to the community here.

I am getting tired of seeing moderation occuring on the most drawn-out interpretations of the rules.  Please can this grievance be addressed.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:05 »

Uhm, if you read the original message, it states that the additional comments in response to the removed post were removed as well because it would look odd to have people replying to a missing post. You weren't modded out of disagreement or anything.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:07 »

Uhm, if you read the original message, it states that the additional comments in response to the removed post were removed as well because it would look odd to have people replying to a missing post. You weren't modded out of disagreement or anything.

Kaleigh, please give me a sign that you're reading the thread.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:53 »

Scagga, what Morwen said. Your post was not inappropriate in any way. However, we regularly remove replies that directly reference an inappropriate post we're removing, and that's why I invited you to repost the rest of your comment (that didn't reference the post we had to remove).

I apologize for not having made that more clear.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:59 »

Also, further reviewing the thread, I'll thank you to treat me with the same courtesy and respect I treat you, rather than as a "estrogen-soaked pillow". (For the record, I'm male, not that that matters in this case.)

Were this in any other thread, that would have led to more direct moderator action, rather than just getting caught up as a necessary follow-on to someone else's issue.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2011, 13:02 »

Scagga, what Morwen said. Your post was not inappropriate in any way. However, we regularly remove replies that directly reference an inappropriate post we're removing, and that's why I invited you to repost the rest of your comment (that didn't reference the post we had to remove).

I apologize for not having made that more clear.

Well I disagree with your judgement and would like an explanation as to why that is your decision, because the explanation given in the moderator comment is lacking. You are also fallible.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2011, 13:03 »

I cannot explain why you disagree with my judgment that your post was not inappropriate. Perhaps you'd like to clarify your question.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2011, 13:05 »

Also, further reviewing the thread, I'll thank you to treat me with the same courtesy and respect I treat you, rather than as a "estrogen-soaked pillow". (For the record, I'm male, not that that matters in this case.)

Were this in any other thread, that would have led to more direct moderator action, rather than just getting caught up as a necessary follow-on to someone else's issue.

One doesn't need to be female to be likened to an oestrogen-soaked pillow.  It is a metaphor to describe the lack of rationality perceived in the judgements being passed.

I think your moderator activity in the thread this relates was disrespectful, so I think we're posting on equal terms here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5