Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Nugoeihuvi megacorporation is the only one of the 'big eight' with a large focus on the entertainment industry, and it is widely suspected of underworld ties?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: IC sections  (Read 46429 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
IC sections
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:58 »

As we mentioned during design phase:

Quote from: Scagga
I've really enjoyed 'IC diplomacy' sections on the Electus Matari forums in the past.

I think that individual organisation could create public IC diplomacy threads/subsections within an IC section for voluntary usage of pilots from various organisations, where people with business could come forward.

I also think you could have IC bars and IC follow on stories relevant to ongoings ingame (similar to 'we stop this broadcast' on IGS).

We have to recognise that the amount of crap that many people see on IGS makes them unwilling to even look for the good stuff. 'Bottling' good stuff on a new forum and protecting it from OOC riffraff on IGS is good and may in time send a message to CCP moderators about what roleplayers want.

I for one am not up for another IC chestbeating platform. We can work on the concept, imo.

and

Quote from: Scagga
I think that a section can be set aside as a bank of propaganda media (posters, videos that are otherwise lost on the forums), corp histories with their famous operations etc, so that newcomers have a handy place where they can read about the past of roleplaying organisations.

I'd like to gauge interest in these ideas, with a view to helping enrich our inspiracy experiences :p

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: IC sections
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:30 »

You mean like this?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:35 »

You mean like this?

I think that would cover the 2nd, but not the 1st quote. To enable that part to reach its potential, I suppose some stickied 'this is what this section is for' threads would help, and also forum subsections for the difference factions, for easier readability.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:05 »

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer that that was intended for the second part. My bad. :)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:14 »

I like the idea of a general IC forum or sections, I'm just a bit at a loss as to what the most effective way to implement it would be. Here on the home page? A separate page with heavy promotion and a very prominent link?

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:23 »

I like the idea of a general IC forum or sections, I'm just a bit at a loss as to what the most effective way to implement it would be. Here on the home page? A separate page with heavy promotion and a very prominent link?

Word of mouth, links in people's corp descriptions, etc.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:28 »

What would the IC section cover? Because I really really REALLY wouldn't want to see another IGS.

Please.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:31 »

What would the IC section cover? Because I really really REALLY wouldn't want to see another IGS.

Please.

In what ways do you find the OP inadequate in answering this?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2010, 13:33 »

I framed my question inadequately, you're right (even though that's not what you said :P ). ;)

I think that individual organisation could create public IC diplomacy threads/subsections within an IC section for voluntary usage of pilots from various organisations, where people with business could come forward.

I also think you could have IC bars and IC follow on stories relevant to ongoings ingame (similar to 'we stop this broadcast' on IGS).

How does this differ from IGS today? That's a genuine question, not a veiled criticism implying that it doesn't. I just feel like I don't quite "get" it, that's all. :)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:13 »

I framed my question inadequately, you're right (even though that's not what you said :P ). ;)

How does this differ from IGS today? That's a genuine question, not a veiled criticism implying that it doesn't. I just feel like I don't quite "get" it, that's all. :)

That's easily understable, the OP was written in very general terms. I'll put ideas into bullet points to answer your questions.

Question: How does this differ from IGS today?

1- Access to roleplay. You can create specific sections of a forum for formal semi-public diplomatic contact.  This is the kind of contact we try to create with public channels ingame, which I believe is inadequate. It eliminates timezone and activity problems - which to many degrees limits the quantity and quality of interactions that end up happening in my opinion.

2- Quality. Mods can filter out OOC riffraff much more easily and according to better standards.

3- Variety. One can create IC venues (even OOG extensions of IG ones), themed to the user's wish (e.g. someone asks for a section to be created where certain IC discussions are held, e.g. Heiian society area).  This can act as a vehicle for promoting & publicising new RP interactions and ideas.

4- Recognition of the silent. The problem with IGS is that good threads that progress slowly +/- get bumped away by attention whores . The current face of IGS is a proverbial ugly 'pizza', a mobbish venue where so many unwanted ingredients are shoved right in your face.  Drama threads unrelated to your own drown you out, such that if people wanted to know what the current (insert faction name) activites/public threads were, it becomes very laborious and difficult to reference if looking at past trends.  People should not be forced to resorting to bumping their own threads to keep them current.

5- Communicating with CCP. Such a development can signal to CCP what the players want in a very powerful way if the place of choice for RP to occur is external to their own website.  Let's be frank, many players do not like using IGS as a vehicle for communication for a variety of reasons and it does not seem to have improved. If the quality concentrates external to it, I think CCP may take measures to improve IGS and attract us back. We win in either scenario.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 15:21 by scagga »

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:22 »

Different idea to throw out there - what about a reference thread with links from different groups to their own diplomacy sections so folks can quickly go, "Oh hey - that the addy to contact so and so" so it's a listing of places folks can go for diplomacy.

Not that the original idea was bad, but tossing it out there.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2010, 15:23 »

Different idea to throw out there - what about a reference thread with links from different groups to their own diplomacy sections so folks can quickly go, "Oh hey - that the addy to contact so and so" so it's a listing of places folks can go for diplomacy.

Not that the original idea was bad, but tossing it out there.

Entirely compatible with the concept we're working with!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:40 »

Hrm, I agree. A forum(s) which will be what IGS should have been, with some subforums for more... specialized stuff. Matari Aligned, Amarr Aligned, Caldari Aligned and Gallente Aligned stuff, even some pirate factions and shit.

There's a reason Inspiracy became a domain and not just the forum.

Backstage-inspiracy can be brothersite to theater-inspiracy, which has fully IC forums. It'd be a huge undertaking this soon after Backstage, but it'd be awesome.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2010, 13:26 »

Hrm, I agree. A forum(s) which will be what IGS should have been, with some subforums for more... specialized stuff. Matari Aligned, Amarr Aligned, Caldari Aligned and Gallente Aligned stuff, even some pirate factions and shit.

Backstage-inspiracy can be brothersite to theater-inspiracy, which has fully IC forums. It'd be a huge undertaking this soon after Backstage, but it'd be awesome.

That is an ambitious sequella that could be considered. In my opinion creating simple sections that can be seen on the backstage page would be fine :)

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:49 »

You're just conspiring to give Havo more work aren't you?  :roll:
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16