Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Author Topic: Taking control of the TV remote  (Read 695 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Taking control of the TV remote
« on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:19 »

First, I generally quite enjoy CQ as an option. Not sure how long I'll stay amused, but it's definitely 'okay' and it has 'potential'.

The big central TV screen, however, is flashing and demanding attention to the point where I am currently doing what I'd threatened and staring at the most boring patch of brown wall I can find. Now if I could just put a shrine there, or a picture of Gottii...

1. Is there an off switch for the newsfeed? Is there a soothing "scenes of New Eden" loop I could play instead? I have a lot going on in my channels and most of the time I don't really need another thing shouting for attention.

2. Could I tailor my feed to get stuff that's more relevant to me? Ads for ships that I could fly but don't, for instance, or things I might reasonably train for next. Explanation of how implant sets work, with common combinations used by people who fly the sorts of ships I own or get kills in. Stuff like that.

IRL I almost-never watch television these days. This CQ screen has reminded me of why I turned the TV off and has also made me realise that I'm used to controlling quite a bit about how I get my news and advertising in a web-channelled world. I realise there's a desire to "push" information, especially to new players: I'd like to have a bit more selectivity since I'm used to "pulling" info when I want it, with occasional less-intrusive prompts about things that might be directly relevant to me.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Taking control of the TV remote
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:24 »

I haven't had TV service in... 7, maybe 8 years now.  So much more time to think and do stuff!

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Taking control of the TV remote
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2011, 19:56 »

Funny, sometimes I feel the same way about EVE! :P