Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Author Topic: ANN's SMF Problems  (Read 2427 times)

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
ANN's SMF Problems
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 08:46 »

Lo'
I'm currently in the process of setting up a forum for ANN and Anshar Incorporated with SMF. So everything has been fine and dandy, except for one thing.
When I set the forum to Maintenance mode, in order to stop peeps being on it while I fiddle, the Announcement Box, rather than being underneath the quick login, is pushed to the right of it, stretching the forum and generally looking bad. I've noticed similar bugs in other areas, such as text overlap between News and the posting location (Screenshot attached)

I'm totally new to SMF, and have absoloutely no Idea where to start looking in order to fix this. Could anyone here possibly help me out?

The forum in question can be found here.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: ANN's SMF Problems
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 10:19 »

Does it only happen in maintenance mode?  Or do the problems persist when you set it out of MM as well?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:19 »

They seem to persist out of maintenance mode as well. I can unlock the forum and you can have a look if that'd help you identify what's up with it.

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:27 »

From what I can see in the screenshot and on the MM landing page, it looks like there should be a <br> tag or two somewhere between the area of the template where the user area (this would cover the top login and the place where it says "Hello Milo, you have 20 messages, etc", and the area where it displays the "This forum is in Maintenance Mode" and the administrator login.  There's a couple different places this might be depending on how that template's designed.  I see it's called Galaxy by Fussilet and have downloaded a copy; will look through the index.template.php in a few.

In the meantime, what modifications have you installed to the forum so far?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 11:54 »

Hrr

ANN = Ammatar News Network.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:43 »

None whatsoever. Aside from replacing the banner at the top with my own, I've not really looked at addons yet.

Hrr

ANN = Ammatar News Network.

ANN = Ammatar News Network and Arcadia News Network? Compromise?  :D

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:48 »

None whatsoever. Aside from replacing the banner at the top with my own, I've not really looked at addons yet.
Hmmkay.  I'm gonna look through the template files and try to find exactly which one that piece of code is expected to be in and see if I can't figure out just where it might be.

In the meantime, if you haven't looked up this issue on SMF's forums, I suggest you do - there're hundreds of much more knowledgeable folks than myself there :D

Twitter

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2010, 12:59 »

Alright, will do! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:34 »

Interesting thing. The bug does not seem to appear when loading the forums in IE. Any Idea why this might happen?

Havohej

• Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2010, 09:40 »

Not exactly.  I know that IE works differently enough from firefox and other browsers that you'll often see IE-specific stuff in php where it literally tells the IE browser something a little different to make a page display right.  I've never heard if a page looking okay in IE but not in other browsers though, that's weird!

Twitter

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:27 »

Actually, a lot of corporate pages with programming break with non-IE browsers. Like, HTML is the standard, and the most used browser is IE, so if we use the IE special hacks, then it's better than standard, right?

To be quite honest, I haven't read that on browsers, but programming. An API to some low-level industrial stuff was provided with interfaces using Microsoft's classes and other stuff like that, explaining that "C is the standard, and most computers run Microsoft's stuff, so when we use API & headers designed for Microsoft's compilers & IDE, we're doing better than standard". So, a thinly veiled "go buy Visual Studio if you want to use our stuff". Luckily, despite that I've never seen it used for anything else, we actually had the software. Parts of the API programming were rather outdated for Visual Studio, though, and I had a fun afternoon debugging the software, until I figured out that the default compiler options in Visual Studio were the reason why the program wasn't working. (The API used the approach of defining byte integers as chars, and when the integer value was > 128, the default compiler options did a character set remap... which meant that when some "small integer" had a numeric value beyond the original ASCII set, "funny" things happened.)