Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: For what its worth I think this was a poor decision *shrugs*  (Read 5160 times)

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal

Moderator Comment Argumentative and overly critical. This thread has run its course and then some.

From the SF vs Moira thread where Julianus and I were in discussion which although robust had avoided insults and rules infractions.

I'd suggest a comparison to the lengthy Scagga vs Kaleigh discussion on Infilitration as RP to compare style of interaction.

Where I think it was a mistake to close that thread was that I genuinely felt Julianus and I were getting closer to understanding each other a bit and getting to the source of some mutual respect for one another's RP motivations.

We'd also managed to avoid swearing and shouting and calling each other assholes :)

Food for thought anyway.

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 10:16 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

I closed it because of the constant "urdoinitrong". Perhaps I should have stated that more clearly in the post, but for the moment the thread needs a cooling-off period at a minimum.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

I closed it because of the constant "urdoinitrong". Perhaps I should have stated that more clearly in the post, but for the moment the thread needs a cooling-off period at a minimum.

Okay thats fair enough. Would appreciate it if you could open it again post cooling-off time because I'd like to conclude the discussion with Julianus if possible.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

I didn't get the impression that there was a discussion going on. To me, it looked like a series of reasonable responses being answered by someone playing 'gotcha' and making snide remarks. If you think the discussion was going somewhere productive, you could certainly continue it via PM.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

I didn't get the impression that there was a discussion going on. To me, it looked like a series of reasonable responses being answered by someone playing 'gotcha' and making snide remarks. If you think the discussion was going somewhere productive, you could certainly continue it via PM.

Well I was trying to reasonable - I hope you didn't feel I was being snide?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

No. I felt you were being quite reasonable and thoughtful and respectful in your posts. I did not get the impression that the respect was being reciprocated.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

No. I felt you were being quite reasonable and thoughtful and respectful in your posts. I did not get the impression that the respect was being reciprocated.

Ah thank you for that. I'm glad you noticed the effort I was making.

I was being quite understanding though. I can sympathize a bit with Julianus because it is difficult to lose a war in eve particularly when one feels targetted ooc with being excluded from his community / player group etc. And I really did want to make absolutely clear that was never being suggested or sought from our side.

It was just a good fun IC war really and the best thing to do when these things are coming to a close is to do whats neccessary IC to conclude and close the chapter and get on to something else.

I felt it was an important discussion because Julianus was expressing some of the prejudice against SF that is held in certain parts of the community still and talking these things out and meeting on neutral ground between players ooc can help I think.

In particular the value of PF vs non PF (player created) ideology and RP background is something that could certainly do with discussion.

But as I said, I was making allowances for Julianus being a bit emotional at the way the war is ending particularly as he felt (wrongly) that we'd be calling for him to leave his corp as a surrender term.

That really isn't the case.

Casiella

• Demigod

I'll take that under advisement, but I should note that we got a pretty strong community response to the direction that thread went today.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

It's probably also worth stating:

The standard isn't 'Does this break the rules and does someone else in the thread have a problem with it?' - It's just 'Does this break the rules?' which the posts in question clearly did.

The issue isn't just the immediate potential for a thread to devolve (though that's a consideration.) It is also about maintaining, to the degree it is possible, an even application of the moderation standards across the board.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

I'll take that under advisement, but I should note that we got a pretty strong community response to the direction that thread went today.

Well of course. It's what folks call a Jade-thread so they're prolly gonna report it just because of that... and I'm not saying that to be a dick to Jade at all. I think he was being pretty damn reasonable in that thread.

This place is sometimes a little bit trigger-happy in its moderation for my tastes, but I'll grant that it seems to work well for the community in the end.

All that said, I think both Jade and Julianus went pretty far in expressing their views and disagreement, but they didn't get to the part where they could build any kind of solution out of it. I'm not sure if that was the direction it would've gone in, but now we'll never know since the thread had the rug pulled from under it.

Casiella

• Demigod

Having seen the reports, I don't think people were reacting to Jade's posts in that thread. But a thread whose purpose is to allow people to keep everyone up to speed on what's happening should never turn into discussing whether or not someone else's RP is valid. In fact, no Backstage thread should go down that road. When it does, even if the thread has otherwise useful content, we have to take some sort of action. In this case, short of completely eviscerating it, I didn't know what else I could do.

But community standards play a role: if people are getting agitated by a post, or a set of posts, then we take a closer look. In the past (not this thread), I've read a post, saw nothing wrong with it, then received a slew of reports that pointed out a context or meaning that had gone completely over my head at first reading.

So, those of you who felt the thread should have stayed open, help me understand: why do you feel like the discussion stayed within the rules here? Keep in mind that, as previously noted (in the context of this same thread, even), Backstage is not and never has been intended as the sole venue for arbitration within the RP community.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

The standard isn't 'Does this break the rules and does someone else in the thread have a problem with it?' - It's just 'Does this break the rules?' which the posts in question clearly did.

The issue isn't just the immediate potential for a thread to devolve (though that's a consideration.) It is also about maintaining, to the degree it is possible, an even application of the moderation standards across the board.

Can you help me to understand where you feel my posts (specifically) in that thread went wrong please Silvernight?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

All that said, I think both Jade and Julianus went pretty far in expressing their views and disagreement, but they didn't get to the part where they could build any kind of solution out of it. I'm not sure if that was the direction it would've gone in, but now we'll never know since the thread had the rug pulled from under it.

So, those of you who felt the thread should have stayed open, help me understand: why do you feel like the discussion stayed within the rules here? Keep in mind that, as previously noted (in the context of this same thread, even), Backstage is not and never has been intended as the sole venue for arbitration within the RP community.

I haven't studied the rules here extensively (call me an ignorant anarchist), but my point wasn't to say that you've done a bad job in enforcing this place's rules at all. I was just commenting how my sometimes laissez-faire attitude towards moderation in general is at odds with how this place is run.

Again, it does work for this place and I'm not particularly bothered because it really doesn't limit my output all that often, but my preference is somewhat different (ie. I don't mind being rude to me). And why? Well, I've bolded a part of what I wrote earlier in the beginning of this post. I think accomplishing that isn't possibly at all when things get heated and I do value the possibility of it, but as you say: this board isn't for arbitration. So, yeah.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

The main point I'd make is I feel *my* posts remained within the rules and spirit of discussion here and I think its a slightly regressive precedent to allow other people posting badly to ruin a discussion for all parties - I think the focus should be on encouraging everyone to post constructively in general and not allow one side of the argument to simply derail into a lock by behaving poorly.

Also of course, echoing Gogo's words - I do feel we lost the opportunity to get a decent resolution in the thread through discussion and debate - simply having it locked now will likely reset certain attitudes and prejudices that will remain below the surface rather than being exposed for critical analysis and progressive assessment.

I feel I deserved the right to defend that particular wardec and campaign as an IC development from IC consequences against the suggestion it was ever anything else.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2011, 04:47 by Jade Constantine »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

Can you help me to understand where you feel my posts (specifically) in that thread went wrong please Silvernight?

Generally it was Soter that was breaking the rules. In the future, though, the moderation staff prefers that instances of someone going 'urdoinitrong' RP-wise be reported, rather than responded to - and this was a fairly clear example of that on his part.

Edit:

I feel I deserved the right to defend that particular wardec and campaign as an IC development from IC consequences against the suggestion it was ever anything else.

The problem is that Soter saying that it wasn't is actually against the rules (unless the person whose RP it is - you - had said it wasn't.) Just as with anything someone says about you that you feel to be untrue, I understand that you want an opportunity to defend yourself, but the way this board works will generally mean that instead that person's accusation is essentially just going to be moderated most times - often along with responses to it.

That's because one of the basic ideas here is that it isn't up to one person to decide what another person's RP is.

If you want to explain to Soter why you feel he's incorrect, you can do that more privately, or in a different public venue. If you want to assure those who use this board that the war was indeed RP, I think people will already have formed opinions about that one way or another, though you can certainly start  topic more generally addressing the idea of wars as RP - though I think we may already have one or two kicking around.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2011, 15:56 by Silver Night »
Pages: [1] 2