Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that station interiors have a day/night cycle mimicking planets? (p. 88)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "We GOT'EM"  (Read 3070 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: "We GOT'EM"
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2011, 12:21 »

Nothing like closing the barn door after the horse is out. . .

The people are inconsequential, the data is everything. Basic rules of the internet.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2011, 13:21 »

Nothing like closing the barn door after the horse is out. . .

The people are inconsequential, the data is everything. Basic rules of the internet.

Thats exactly what the three hackers are telling themselves as they sit in a shady spanish prison, waiting to go to jail for what will be the majority of the remaining life.

"We are inconsequential, the data is everything. This is the basic rule of the internet."
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2011, 13:23 by Invelious »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2011, 13:54 »

This, pretty much. Obviously, yeah, the data is out, and catching a couple people isn't going to stop future attacks. But these people work with the premise that they will never get caught, they are anonymous, etc.

The fact that three of them are sitting in jail wondering if it was worth it may give the rest similar doubts.

Not that that will stop them. But it puts a hole in the "we're untouchable, rah rah rah" mantra. Was whatever they think they accomplished worth spending years in jail?

Especially for computer geeks. We're used to constant, unending stimulation. Spending every day in a cell without their internet heroin is going to be hell.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2011, 14:08 »

Aaaah, justice.

I *HATE* hackers. Sad, useless human waste who think they can't be touched and that this give them the right and ability to do as they please. Load up random PC's with viruses, hack private info, steal money over the net, spam random shit like unwanted adds trojans and crap about, make people's lives annoying, because they can. Worst kinds of griefers I know of. I've more respect for bank-robbers, atl they show up and rik their asses for the supposed gains, these guys?

I hope they rot well and long.  don't perticularely like Sony but I've little against them either, so this... No sympathy for these scum. None what-so-ever.

Crucifire

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2011, 17:42 »

The article reminds me of this.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2011, 19:17 »

I agree. Why attempt to enforce the law when criminals will always exist anyway? Scoff-worthy, is what it is.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Crucifire

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2011, 20:12 »

Because they think they just got the leadership of Anon.

Jev North

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:30 »

Doesn't really read like these three are hardened career criminals, to be honest. 'Course, I'm of the opinion that DDOSing corporate and government web sites in the context of political activism is a venal sin at worst, and without without some specifics as to what these "attacks" are, that's what I'm going to assume.

Using botnets is a bit more shady, but the article is not at all clear whether they went ahead and made one of their own or just let some muppet with a botnet know that Anonymous' target du jour was website XYZ, a la "co-ordinated attacks using IRC chat and used sophisticated encryption techniques to conceal their communications."

Connections to the PlayStation hacks are explicitly denied in the article.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2011, 04:08 »

Information needs to be free.

I'll support anything that does even a smidgeon of damage to any and all targets Anon has had.
Is it a crime? Sure, it's illegal. Is it wrong? Fuck no.

If they could have broken those entities, I'd be the first on top of a rooftop to yell a victory cry.

Jev North

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:10 »

I have no sympathy for the thieves and crooks either.. it's just that Anonymous at least claims to be about the more ideological side of things, and this particular bit of press reads a lot like they picked up some /b/tards faffing off and are trying their damnedest to make them look like they're fighting international terrorism.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:28 »

I'll support anything that does even a smidgeon of damage to any and all targets Anon has had.

If they could have broken those entities, I'd be the first on top of a rooftop to yell a victory cry.

Does that include someone's credit card information?

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:47 »

Does that include someone's credit card information?

This. Ideals, sure. Breaking some laws to fight for ethics, sure.

But this ? Not helping their ideals (if they have any), playing like uneducated children without any morals ? They deserved it. If they are guilty of course.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2011, 06:03 »

I haven't heard of Anon stealing creditcard information. They denied involvement in the Sony scandal.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2011, 06:08 »

I haven't heard of Anon stealing creditcard information. They denied involvement in the Sony scandal.

I presumed your comment was directly in response to the article/incident as a whole, so my bad if I misread.

My point is, transparency good, larceny bad.

**Sidenote, I'm aware that having ideals would be in direct violation of Anon nature. So, by extension, they wouldn't really have anything to lose by stealing credit card info. Pretty much, unless its a kitten or that guy Oprah didn't allow on her show, caring isn't part of the internet hate machine.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2011, 06:10 by Senn Typhos »

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you
Pages: [1] 2