Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Author Topic: Question about Voluval.  (Read 2613 times)

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Question about Voluval.
« on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:44 »

Ive seen it mentioned in a few places, did some research and now Im curious about em. I didnt find much in the way of a list of types and meanings. Found a short list on the EM public forums(may be more one there but Im not a member). I didnt see much on the first 2-3 pages on the chatsubo forum search results and a Google search sent me to 2 broken links for chatsubo. So i have a few questions I wanted to ask about them.

1 - Can anyone provide me with a link to such a list if it exists.

2 - Are they something only Minmatar can get or can anyone who goes through the ritual get them.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Question about Voluval.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:47 »

From our corp forum:

The Voluval, or Test of Destiny, is perhaps the single most important Rite of Passage in Minmatar culture.  This thread is to collect all information known about the Voluval and possibly to discuss implications of the vague little bits of PF that CCP has given us with regard to the Test of Destiny.

First, a list of references in Prime Fiction (if you find other references, post them here and I will update this post):

• The Ray of Matar - The tale of former Republic Prime Minister Karin Midular and the prestigious mark of destiny she received.
  • The Outcast - A Chronicle describing the Outcast, the unfortunate Minmatars who receive a Voluval mark considered to be a bad omen and shunned by their people.

(Short list, isn't it!)

EDIT: In fact, I'll go ahead and make this its own thread in the library section.

There's no real master list of Voluval marks; PF describes only a few.  There're several player-made ones that I hope to see gathered in one decent thread here... I'd start the thread but I haven't found time yet to gather the different scraps I've found and present them cleanly yet.  I welcome anyone to do it before I get to it, though, of course :)
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2010, 22:48 by Havohej »

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:48 »

Well, for part two:

From what I recall they are a 'closely guarded secret' of the shamans who do the ritual. They also interact with a person in some undefined (genetic?) way to determine the mark.

So, for a non-Minmatar, I suppose you would have to find a willing shaman (somehow) and then maybe it would work (if working isn't predicated on it finding some certain bit of DNA specific to Minmatar).

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:51 »

Heh, forgot to mention finding some on your forum Havo. It was actually the first result on the Google search. :D

Edit: Thanks for the info Silver.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:56 »

Oh snap.  It's kinda sad that CCP's got so little Voluval-related PF that my humble forum post is top of a google search for The Voluval :o

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2010, 22:59 »

...yeah, it is frustratingly sparse, made it interesting to come up with ideas for a Voluval mark after I kind of improvised Misan into having one (just came up during an RP interaction, wasn't defined before then). In some ways that's cool though, gives a lot more leeway for defining new marks.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.