Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Democracy at its Finest.  (Read 2423 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Crucifire

Re: Democracy at its Finest.
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2011, 15:55 »

Props indeed. Shame it cost the poor girl her job, possibly her career in politics altogether, but I can't say I disagree with her sentiment and motive.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2011, 16:01 »

Wait, there's a throne?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2011, 16:09 »

Wait, there's a throne?

Standard convention in the Commonwealth countries which are still constitutional monarchies. How else would you do it?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:34 »

Props indeed. Shame it cost the poor girl her job, possibly her career in politics altogether, but I can't say I disagree with her sentiment and motive.

I suspect that she'll find a way. ;) And while I won't pretend to understand Canadian politics, I assume that someone in the anti-Harper camp will be interested in working with her.

Crucifire

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:42 »

Possibly. I can't pretend to understand too much about Canadian politics either (why oh why did I never pay attention in socials class) but Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party, said the protest was inappropriate and in the wrong place according to the article, and Green Party is way on the other side of the fence from Harper's Conservative Party.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2011, 17:56 »

Quote from: Winston Churchill
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

DA5UN

• Wetgraver
  • Even drones can fly away
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2011, 18:46 »

Possibly. I can't pretend to understand too much about Canadian politics either (why oh why did I never pay attention in socials class) but Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party, said the protest was inappropriate and in the wrong place according to the article, and Green Party is way on the other side of the fence from Harper's Conservative Party.

They likely went to her expecting a comment commending the girl, as you say the Green Party is opposite the political spectrum of Harper. Though the Senate Chamber has a very strict behavioral policy and not to mention interrupting the Gov. General's speech is quite rude (seeing as how he is the representative of the Queen to Canada.)

Lot's of courage with the girl though.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2011, 22:35 »

Meh.  That will change absolutely nothing.  Getting experience in politics and working her way up the ladder in the political scene over the course of a few years while she learns how to really have an impact would have.

Call me a cynic, but I think she's a fool and too starry-eyed to see it.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2011, 23:49 »

Meh.  That will change absolutely nothing.  Getting experience in politics and working her way up the ladder in the political scene over the course of a few years while she learns how to really have an impact would have.

Call me a cynic, but I think she's a fool and too starry-eyed to see it.

Or now she has the attention of the entire country, she spread her message and further exposed our fail prime minister. She has a legion of youth and adults now all supporting her, and for simply raising a sign she has been the national story of the media in this country. The political party whom she shares the same views with will no doubt be supporting her and a job opportunity will no doubt present itself. 

She has also gone down in Canadian history as the first and only political protester to official protest within our House of Commons, in the face of every member of parliament, senator, all 6 justices of the peace, the governor general and of course, the prime minister.

Her objective was set, and achieved.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2011, 00:05 by Invelious »

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun 2011, 01:31 »

She'll be forgotten in three weeks.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jun 2011, 07:51 »

Oh really

Cain Jacobi

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jun 2011, 20:52 »

Mad props to this girl for standing up for what she believes in.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jun 2011, 04:36 »

Awwww, the girl believes money grows on trees to pay for free lunches and can't understand why there has to be cuts.

How cute.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jun 2011, 13:08 »

Probably out of ignorance but, her protest was about money cuts ?
Pages: [1] 2