Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

All male members of the Ardishapur family traditionally have their right hand amputated? See why you don't make the Emperor's mother angry.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clear Skies 3  (Read 2384 times)

Lyn Farel

Clear Skies 3
« on: 29 May 2011, 16:36 »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Clear Skies 3
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2011, 16:56 »

OMGOMGOMGOMG
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2011, 17:07 »

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2011, 17:32 »

GOM?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2011, 18:01 »

OMNOMNOMONOMNOM

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2011, 19:35 »

Aaaaaaaa :D

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2011, 23:21 »

Well I must say, I'm sort of conflicted.

On one hand, the story was really good and I liked it....on the other hand, the part of me that whores herself out to the PF was seriously bothered by the inconsistencies.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2011, 23:56 »

I think of Clear Skies (the parts I've seen, which is to say the first; gonna need to fix that) as more a fiction that might have been written by Gallentean holovid scriptwriters than anything particularly "factual."

It is to the day to day flying of ships in New Eden what "Law and Order" is to RL law enforcement.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2011, 00:18 »

It's very easily interpreted as an in-character movie. The perception of non-capsuleers of capsuleer lifestyle. The lack of basic knowledge about pod piloting, for example, thinking of pods as escape vehicles rather than actual command interfaces, is probably a misconception held by billions of planetary and even stationbound inhabitants.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2011, 00:43 »

Given that an in-character news article referred to the in-game John Rourke character flying the "original 'Clear Skies' Tempest" in the award ceremony after CS2 was released, I think it's pretty clear that Clear Skies exists in a far different continuity - reality, even - than the EVE universe as we know it.

Now, my thoughts on the film itself...

My main complaint with the film is that at times it feels like there's to much in it. After a while, it began to feel like that were to many steps with to many twists and turns in a story smashed into to small a timeframe, resulting in things playing out and resolving faster than they "should have". The rapid scene changes, often accompanying jarring changes in the "pace" of the scene, didn't help.

Now, the reason I listed my complaint first is because it would have felt stupid to tack a complaint on to the end of my post after going on forever about how freaking amazing this movie is. Everything that was awesome about the first 2 Clear Skies, they've made better - absolutely epic fights, nice visuals, and the arguing/sniping/joking between everybody aboard the titular ship, topped off with a nice round of shoutouts to both Clear Skies continuity and EVE's community (for instance, a little sneaking reference to a lovable piratess many of us know...).

And now, spoiler stuff:
[spoiler]
- Their portrayal of the Jovian: I think they did really quite good here. In contrast to just about everything else we've seen in Clear Skies, the Jovian is utterly alien while remaining largely unseen, which nicely lets the viewers' minds fill in.
- They really, Really, REALLY want the series to end. Blow up the titular ship? Fans demand a 3rd movie! This time we're throwing them into Jovian space, so it can finally be over!
- "It's hot-drop'o'clock!"  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[/spoiler]
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2011, 03:15 »

Yes when CS2 was released CCP issued a piece of news presenting it like some kind of gallente holomovie very popular all around the cluster. I don't care much about little inconsistencies or over exagerated lore mistakes, because they are totally justified here. It is the same thing that made the Star Wars first movies awesome. We are not asking for ultra realism in that kind of movies, but for classical epic adventures with the usual tropes. And when they are subtlely used, in a perfect understanding of how a conventionnal blockbuster is constructed, i think it works great in CS, from the 1st opus to the 3rd.

Concerning the "too much" into the format complaint, maybe. Though when comparing it to CS2, I do not see much difference, really (for example when they go to the prison planetside to free the girl, it is done in haste).

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2011, 07:13 »

Okay, overall:

[spoiler]Jovians were absolutely awesome, and contrasted brilliantly with the rest of the world to really make them stand out, the transition wherein John was sucked into the Jovian ship in particular was just priceless. Also, I really enjoyed the blinking window.

Sleeper space was...well, I'm sort of irritated that sleeper space isn't actually like that. It'd be dead sexy if actual sleeper space was littered with tumbling wreckage and huge destroyed things, and navigating sleeper space meant actually navigating and traversing these junkyards and taking old acceleration gates between parts of them.

the battles were epic, the dialogue was even better then the last two, and overall, it was really excellent. I honestly dunno why the continuity errors bothered me in this one, they didn't bother me in the other ones much at all.

That said, I can't help but come out of it feeling slightly disappointed compared to the other two. Something about it just came off as slightly disjointed and jarring. I think it had something to do with the way the seen transitions were performed, as well as the way the story just jumped and skittered and constantly changed pacing and mood without warning. It didn't flow, not like the other two did.

I still liked it though. Mad props to John Rourke[/spoiler]

Svenjabi Xiang

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2011, 14:08 »

I found it quite satisfactorily concluded.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2011, 16:55 »

I'm a horrid PF Nazi at times, so much so that I've started working on fleshing out every piece of technical and engineering backstory I can think of.

Still, the Clear Skies trilogy are not meant to be consistent with PF. They're there for entertainment value, and are there purely for fun and to tell a story.

In the end, from an RP perspective I see them as an IC big budget holo-movie that's designed for entertainment purposes and nothing more.

I mean, look at the movies of today and how many glaring inconsistencies and fuck ups are in them, it's perfectly plausible from an RP point of view.

Purely on OOC terms, I've loved all three of these, and the amount of time, dedication and effort that has gone into them is astonishing.

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2011, 17:05 »

Apart from the 'Caldari President's Guard' making my eye twitch slightly. I loved it all  :bear:

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.
Pages: [1] 2