Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Backstage's goal and purpose  (Read 8914 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Re: Backstage's goal and purpose
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2011, 17:00 »

They are impressively civil Scagga, so civil I've started walking carefully unless I cut myself on the civility ;)

(I'm not being entirely ironic either - seriously, it is a quite loaded discussion that is being debated with all the rhetorical weight of a formal university debating society topic and it is quite entertaining to watch.)

Ta.  I'm enjoying the debate, it regards subject matter that I see value in.

I think we've been quite civil, and that's why I stepped out when I did. I realized we saw two sides of the same coin and wouldn't agree no matter how much civil discussion we had (which is a shame, because we all know 'urdoingitwrong'* :p ). If I would have kept going, it would have become repetitive/monotonous/head+desk and I really don't like circular debate (I like good debate, but not circular).

* Was said in full facetiousness and with no seriousness in the tone at all.

Inara, don't let yourself out too early  ;)

I have mentioned that if the evidence presented for an opposing view is stronger than the evidence for my view, I will adopt it.  With a topic of this import, with debaters who are all showing that they have taken time to reflect upon their views, it is clear that it may be hard work to move from point to point.  However, the payback is in the quality and depth of debate.  I believe a lot of ground is being covered, despite the fact that we are not in agreement.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2011, 17:20 »

From my perspective, the direction and type of debate that the infiltration RP thread has taken really just causes many of us to check out of it. When it becomes long "walls of text" and consists of (overly?) analytical ways of telling other people that their metagaming ethical considerations are at variance with good roleplay form, eventually it just wears down the audience and they move on.

This doesn't mean in the least that it violates any Backstage guideline, and the above is purely my personal opinion. But I'd note that not every post within the guidelines will always advance the discussion in a way you'd like.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2011, 17:49 »

Perhaps oddly, given my background, I'm with Casi here. I've sketched out responses to some of the matters raised in that thread and then realised that when people are talking about what's "poor form" in roleplay -- without discussion of what roleplay is in EVE, what's good roleplay and whether that matters -- there's really nothing it can offer me.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2011, 19:21 »

To me, it's gone off the boring end when there's introduced this concept of "This is a roleplaying fact" into it, when we all know Eve RP doesn't have some kind of universal rulebook that defines what is and isn't 'poor form' or anything. It's gotten to the point where it's basically just "urdoinitrong", but with ten quoteboxes and Jade-esque walls of text.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2011, 22:12 »

From my perspective, the direction and type of debate that the infiltration RP thread has taken really just causes many of us to check out of it. When it becomes long "walls of text" and consists of (overly?) analytical ways of telling other people that their metagaming ethical considerations are at variance with good roleplay form, eventually it just wears down the audience and they move on.

This doesn't mean in the least that it violates any Backstage guideline, and the above is purely my personal opinion. But I'd note that not every post within the guidelines will always advance the discussion in a way you'd like.

Are you suggesting that certain posts are at variance with good forum posting? ;)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2011, 22:26 »

Nope, just at variance with the sorts of posts I personally enjoy reading and responding to. :)

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2011, 22:38 »

Well, I don't have any regrets about my posting here. As a casual player I don't really have that much invested in most of what's discussed here in general, and I try to take a lax approach to opinions.  Honestly, I don't even really care all that much about alt infiltration. >_<
Pages: 1 2 [3]